Chromecast and 5.1 Audio?

Moses Smith

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine it does because when I watched the killing earlier today, it displayed the details on the screen(HD,5.1). I don't have my tv hooked up to my surround to test though.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Netflix plays in Dolby+ 5.1 according to my AVR.

I didn't configure anything, just plugged it in and started watching a movie.

Dolby.jpg

fabiantm

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying! So you put Chromecast into your 5.1 system or in the TV? I'm not really much experienced with 5.1 systems, sorry for that! Just bought one and I'm trying to find out, how to set this up with Chromecast. I have a Playstation 3 so I would put the digital audio into the 5.1 system and HDMI into my TV. But how can I do this when Chromecast is just an HDMI stick?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying! So you put Chromecast into your 5.1 system or in the TV? I'm not really much experienced with 5.1 systems, sorry for that! Just bought one and I'm trying to find out, how to set this up with Chromecast. I have a Playstation 3 so I would put the digital audio into the 5.1 system and HDMI into my TV. But how can I do this when Chromecast is just an HDMI stick?

I plugged the Chromecast directly into the Blu-Ray/DVD port on my 7.1 AV receiver. I've got it plugged into the wall. I'm not sure how well (or not well) the Chromecast will work when you're splitting the video and audio like that, and don't have any SPDIF cables here to test it with -- I switched everything to HDMI when i got my new receiver.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered this 5.1 one: Sony DAV-DZ340 5.1 DVD-Heimkinosystem (1000W, HDMI 1080p Upscaling, USB) schwarz: Amazon.de: Heimkino, TV & Video
The problem is, it has just an HDMI out. Nothing to plug the Chromecast in or do I understand you wrong?

Besides the HDMI connection, the Chromecast needs +5volts DC for power. Included is a USB cord and wall plug for that.
I'm not sure of your setup, but that system has one HDMI output. You need an input to use the Chromecast.

If you're taking that DVD/Sound system to a HDMI switch or bridge, it may work. How my (and many other) system works:
The A/V receiver has one or more HDMI outputs. It also has several HDMI inputs.
I have the Chromecast in one of the HDMI inputs on the AV receiver. I also have my cable box and a Google TV unit plugged in.
I have my television on the HDMI port for the TV, which can send and receive. All HDMI ports are bi-directional, but your receiver box has to be setup to both send and receive data on the port you're using.
I have my speakers hooked up to the audio output on my AV receiver. I have not tried my external EQ/amp with this yet, but it should work because it only accepts the audio output from the AV receiver, processes it, and forwards it to the speakers. I just had to move some things around while waiting for some cables :)

As long as I choose the correct input on my receiver, the TV displays the video and the speakers handle the sound.

Kevin O'Quinn, our senior moderator and team leader, happens to be an audio/video expert and does this sort of thing for a living. I've called him in here, because he knows more about it than I do :p

fabiantm

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Besides the HDMI connection, the Chromecast needs +5volts DC for power. Included is a USB cord and wall plug for that.
I'm not sure of your setup, but that system has one HDMI output. You need an input to use the Chromecast.

If you're taking that DVD/Sound system to a HDMI switch or bridge, it may work. How my (and many other) system works:
The A/V receiver has one or more HDMI outputs. It also has several HDMI inputs.
I have the Chromecast in one of the HDMI inputs on the AV receiver. I also have my cable box and a Google TV unit plugged in.
I have my television on the HDMI port for the TV, which can send and receive. All HDMI ports are bi-directional, but your receiver box has to be setup to both send and receive data on the port you're using.
I have my speakers hooked up to the audio output on my AV receiver. I have not tried my external EQ/amp with this yet, but it should work because it only accepts the audio output from the AV receiver, processes it, and forwards it to the speakers. I just had to move some things around while waiting for some cables :)

As long as I choose the correct input on my receiver, the TV displays the video and the speakers handle the sound.

Kevin O'Quinn, our senior moderator and team leader, happens to be an audio/video expert and does this sort of thing for a living. I've called him in here, because he knows more about it than I do :p

Thanks for your reply! I must admit that I'm not a native speaker so sorry for mistakes.
You're right with the output and I think that's the point. I searched on Amazon for other 5.1 systems but they all seem to have only one HDMI out. I found several switches like this one: deleyCON ULTRA Serie HDMI Switch Verteiler 3 Port: Amazon.de: Elektronik
The problem is, if I put the Chromecast into that switch, I can't make anything with the surround system. I think my TV has no optical out so I can't do this either.

EDIT: Sorry, seems that the TV has an optical audio out so everythings clear. Searched a few sites before I found this, sorry! Just have to wait before the Chromecast arrives in 2 weeks+ :(

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I must admit that I'm not a native speaker so sorry for mistakes.
You're right with the output and I think that's the point. I searched on Amazon for other 5.1 systems but they all seem to have only one HDMI out. I found several switches like this one: deleyCON ULTRA Serie HDMI Switch Verteiler 3 Port: Amazon.de: Elektronik
The problem is, if I put the Chromecast into that switch, I can't make anything with the surround system. I think my TV has no optical out so I can't do this either.

EDIT: Sorry, seems that the TV has an optical audio out so everythings clear. Searched a few sites before I found this, sorry! Just have to wait before the Chromecast arrives in 2 weeks+ :(

Es ist OK. Englisch ist wirklich schwer :p

And yes, getting everything set up while you wait for it to arrive is a good idea :)

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
So jerry, my ChromeCast will be here Wednesday. Here is what I'm thinking.... My 55 inch smart Vizio has a optical audio output. If I run my ps3, dvr and the ChromeCast all through hdmi and out the fiber optic to my Sony head unit.... I should get everything on 5.1 right??

Posted via Android Central App

kuykendallc

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
That's how mine is setup and it works fine. 5.1 works. All hdmis plugged into my TV and an optical running to my receiver.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan