Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I am compiling questions and answers to post here. Feel free to add and comment and I will try and keep it updated.

• What is Chromecast? How does it work?

See AndroidCentrals review: Chromecast review | Android Central

• Does Chromecast require a USB power source?

Yes, the device needs an external power source via the micro USB port. It ships with a wall adapter, or you can plug the USB cable into a powered USB port on your TV (if your TV has one).

Did Google gloss over Chromecast needing USB power? Not hardly | Android Central

• What Apps work with Chromecast?

See this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ible-apps-29jul-redbox-vimeo-coming-soon.html

• Does Chromecast work with my AV receiver?

Yes, see this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/299870-connecting-chromecast-v-receiver.html

• Does Chromecast work with my HDMI switch?

Yes, see this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/300584-chromecast-compatible-hdmi-switch.html

• Can I move my Chromecast to another TV?

Yes, you can move the device between multiple TV's in your home without having to change any settings or run the setup. If you take it with you traveling or somewhere else, you will need to setup the new wifi network.

• I downloaded the chromecast setup app to my PC and tried to install it, but got a message "Sorry, but your wireless is off." What is wrong?

The PC app is only required to initially setup your chrome cast, but unfortunately it only works with devices that have built in wifi like a laptop. If you need to do the initial setup, try using a phone or tablet (Android or iOS). Once the device is setup, then that application doesnt do anything else, you need the Chrome Browser and the Chromecast extension.

• I cant get Chrome on my PC to see the Chromecast device.

You probably need to change some settings in your router. Look for settings like AP isolation (you want this off) or IGMP Snooping (you want this on). Check this thread for some tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/303254-wired-pc-chromecast.html

• Will my Chromecast remember more than one wifi network?

*need confirmation of this answer

• I didn?t get my free 3 month Netflix code, why not?

If you ordered from Google Play or Amazon, the offer was cutoff after the first day. If you ordered from Amazon before the cutoff, the code should have been emailed to you a a few days after shipping. BestBuy apparently is still giving out the codes if you buy from them in-store.

• Will Chromecast work outside of the USA?

*need info

• Can you mirror an entire Tab from a Chrome browser on my PC/laptop/phone/tablet?

You can mirror an entire tab from your Chrome browser on your PC or laptop. You will need to install the Chromecast extension in Chrome, and then click the cast button at the top right of the browser. Note: The Chromecast extension for Chrome is still considered a Beta product, and may not work flawlessly.

You cannot currently mirror the Chrome browser from a mobile device (phone or tablet). This feature would probably require root access on the phone/tablet.

• Can you mirror your entire screen from my PC/laptop/phone/tablet?

You can mirror your entire desktop from your PC or laptop. You will need to install the Chromecast extension in Chrome, and then right click the cast button at the top right of the browser and choose "Cast entire screen". Note: The Chromecast extension for Chrome is still considered a Beta product, and may not work flawlessly.

You cannot currently mirror the homescreen from a mobile device (phone or tablet). This feature would probably require root access on the phone/tablet.

• Can you play local media files?

Yes, you can play locally stored media files from your PC or laptop by opening the files in the Chrome browser (you can drag and drop the file) and then casting the tab. This only works for files that the Chrome browser has playback support for. Notably AVI files do not work. A work around is to install the Plex Media Server on your PC and access your local media files via its Plex Web interface.

You cannot currently play files stored on your phone or tablet. Hopefully 3rd party developers can make us something for this.

• I tried to play music stored on my phone/tablet through Google Music app, but keep getting an error

You need to upload your music into your Google account (free storage for 20,000 songs). See this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...g-sideloaded-music-cant-play.html#post2964082

• When I try to cast certain web sites with video, I only get audio, no picture, why?

Some web sites that use FLASH video or Silverlight may be incompatible. Also Chrome browser cast quality is very dependent on the performance capabilities of your pc or laptop Try reducing the output in the Chromecast extension options to 480p.

• Can I use Chromecast while traveling in my hotel?

The hotel needs to have 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi network and the username and password must be public. If the hotel router/network has AP or client isolation enabled (requires you to login through a special hotel web page), you will not be able to set up your Chromecast device. Unfortunately, most hotel networks usually have AP/client isolation in which Chromecast will not be possible.

• Why doesnt casting a browser tab on my Macbook Air look very good?

See this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-haswell-macbook-air-2013-a.html#post2951191

Last edited:

andymacnexus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm using chromecast in UK but only via my Mac and laptop, my android phone and tablet can't currently be used as the chromecast app isn't available via Google play.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using AC Forums mobile app

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm using chromecast in UK but only via my Mac and laptop, my android phone and tablet can't currently be used as the chromecast app isn't available via Google play.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using AC Forums mobile app

I've seen some Canadians mention they were able to side load the app but I personally dont know a "SAFE" link to side load from.

JIMV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
My device works but it works less than perfectly with you tube....That service will stream for maybe 45 minutes then I get the dreaded 'circle of doom' as it freezes and buffers. This might happen three times in a row before it restarts the video where it left off...After another 20-30 minutes the thing is buffering every minute or so...

Hoe do I stop this nonsense. My PC is getting 20mpbs from the router, is streaming 5-7mpbs. The signal at the Chromecast is a good 15MPBS...put another way, signal strength is fine. The device has internal memory...how does one flush that cache of old data? I do not have this issue with Netflix.

Leonardo FC

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Mi Chromecast was working ok this morning. I unplugged it and now it does not work at all. I can?t even see the "ready to cast" screen, it is just a black screen. I have try unplugging the chromecast, the TV, switching HDMI ports. checking the reset button (by the way, how can I reset it?) and all the steps of the chromecast troubleshooting page. Does anybody know what else can I do?

I will really appreciate the advice, I just started using it yesterday

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
[*]Will my Chromecast remember more than one wifi network?

*need confirmation of this answer

No. If you connect the Chromecast to a different access point, you?ll have to go through the setup process. If you then try to connect the Chromecast back to the initial access point, you?ll have to go through the setup process again.

[*]Will Chromecast work outside of the USA?

*need info

Yes, the Chromecast will work outside the US. But certain apps may not, so the functionality may be limited. For example, Netflix doesn?t work in Hong Kong. But I can certainly use Youtube, Google Play Movies & TV, and Google Play Music. Of course, a VPN service would solve any problems with location-dependent apps.

Hmd74

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I want to buy chromecast for streaming video/Music from my phone (Local) on my TV. But I'm not sure if it uses data or not?!
Does it work like apple TV?

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I want to buy chromecast for streaming video/Music from my phone (Local) on my TV. But I'm not sure if it uses data or not?!
Does it work like apple TV?

It does not stream from your phone. It streams from the Internet.

I. E.

You have music stored on Google Play. Your device acts as a controller, telling the Chromecast that you want to listen to music. The Chromecast gets the content directly from Google Play Music via the 'Net. It does not get the content from your device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hmd74

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
It does not stream from your phone. It streams from the Internet.

I. E.

You have music stored on Google Play. Your device acts as a controller, telling the Chromecast that you want to listen to music. The Chromecast gets the content directly from Google Play Music via the 'Net. It does not get the content from your device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

But I thought there is a way to play from my phone...
As in my country there is no access to the play store; I won't be able to use chromecast :((

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
But I thought there is a way to play from my phone...
As in my country there is no access to the play store; I won't be able to use chromecast :((

Check out this sticky thread to see what apps you can use with your Chromecast.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...romecast-compatible-apps-02sep-hulu-plus.html

It is possible to stream local content, but it?s certainly not ideal.

Also, never allow country-restrictions to affect usability in this day and age. With the use of VPNs, it?s a non-issue.

Also, you have access to YouTube, right? If so, then you can stream YouTube with the Chromecast. This by itself is worth the USD 35.

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I am in the Philippines and can confirm that I have same experience as above. No problem loading chromecast app onto my nexus7 & 5 via play store, nor the iOS app via apple app store. Toggling between wifi networks is not so bad via the android chromecast app except that you must re-enter wifi passcode each time.

Liz Goodman

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way to connect Chromecast through Verizon's MIFI 4510L 4G light? I tried connecting to it once and had problems. So connected to my other router, but its connection is a slow broadband service and will not stream fast enough, so it disconnects. It is connected, but so far not been able to view anything.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Can you play local media files?

This question needs it's answer updating. There are numerous ways to cast media direct from phone/tablet to Chromecast now since the SDK has been released.

A few of the apps that can do this are listed below (there are more)

BubbleUPnP (the ultimate Chromecast app IMHO) - not the most intuitive app but set up properly can stream from device, cloud, PC (with a media server running on PC), any web site with video, BubbleUPnP Server running on a PC on the network can deal with any necessary transcoding on the fly to make media Chromecast compatible.

LocalCast (Chromecast compatible formats only - can stream from device and PC (via SMB share or media server).

EZCast (Chromecast compatible formats only)

Avia (Chromecast compatible formats only)

RealPlayer Cloud (Any format, but media is uploaded to RealPlayer Services for transcoding and then re-downloaded to Chromecast)

Need to convert your video collection to Chromecast compatible format manually? (i.e. MP4, h264 encoded video, AAC or MP3 encoded sound, bitrate < 8000kbps) - Handbrake (Windows/Mac/Linux) is free, open source and super simple to use (unlike some other desktop transcoders out there).