Any way to ship Chromecast to India?

nipcarlover

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I would really love a Chromecast, but I think there are next to 0 chances of getting it here.

One of my relatives was coming to India, but the announcement came just a day before they were leaving, so that idea is ruled out. :'(

I tried eBay, but they are charging 3 times the actual rate of the Chromecast. :-\

Anyone have any ideas how I can get it to India relatively inexpensively?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
You can buy one second hand on ebay I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Tapatalk 2

nipcarlover

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Shipping it to India is one thing. I guess the bigger question is: Will it actually work in India?

Why not? Does it have any region specific things? I know it won't play Netflix, but at least YouTube and Google Play (except Music) will work. Also, I could easily stream local content from the Chrome desktop file explorer 'work-around' thingy..

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's region specific. I don't think anyone outside of Region 1 has used it yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

coolvarn

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There's a site called "Firangibhai" that handles shipping and customs for you, and will deliver it straight to your door:
https://www.firangibhai.com/products/Google-Chromecast-HDMI-Streaming-Media-Player.html

As for: will it work?
Well, the Chrome browser thingie will work for sure - though the resolution may not be great from some reviews I've seen. YouTube and Google Play should work great.

(Of course, assuming you have a good bandwidth net connection, and a good Wifi router)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Why not? Does it have any region specific things? I know it won't play Netflix, but at least YouTube and Google Play (except Music) will work. Also, I could easily stream local content from the Chrome desktop file explorer 'work-around' thingy..

I'm just not sure the Chromecast sends the signal in the right format since the TV's are different across the world.

India uses PAL B. USA, Canada & Mexico uses NTSC M

WORLD TELEVISION SIGNAL GUIDE

The table below lists broadcast standards by country. There are three main television standards used throughout the world.

NTSC - National Television Standards Committee
Developed in the US and first used in 1954, NTSC is the oldest existing broadcast standard. It consists of 525 horizontal lines of display and 60 vertical lines. Only one type exists, known as NTSC M. It is sometimes irreverently referred to as "Never Twice the Same Color."

SECAM - Syst?me ?lectronique pour Couleur avec M?moire.
Developed in France and first used in 1967. It uses a 625-line vertical, 50-line horizontal display. Different types use different video bandwidth and audio carrier specifications. Types B and D are usually used for VHF. Types G, H, and K are used for UHF. Types I, N, M, K1 and L are used for both VHF and UHF. These different types are generally not compatible with one another. SECAM is sometimes irreverently referred to as "Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method" or "SEcond Color Always Magenta."

PAL - Phase Alternating Line
Developed in Germany and first used in 1967. A variant of NTSC, PAL uses a 625/50-line display. Different types use different video bandwidth and audio carrier specifications. Common types are B, G, and H. Less common types include D, I, K, N, and M. These different types are generally not compatible with one another. Proponents of PAL irreverently call it "Perfection At Last," while critics of its enormous circuit complexity call it "Pay A Lot" or "Picture Always Lousy."

World Television Signal Guide by Country

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12