Can you cast Chrome tabs from a tablet or smartphone?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
All,

Still playing around with Chromecast and I'm loving the device. I tried casting my PC's Chrome browser onto my TV and it worked (albeit, with a slight delay). However, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and S4 and want to do the same from those devices. Is that possible?

J

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
No, at this time casting tab from chrome for android is not possible.

You would think Google would have made this a possibility prior to giving that functionality to PCs and Macs. Why would I want to sit at a computer to mirror a browser when I can do so with a tablet or smartphone?

J

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You would think Google would have made this a possibility prior to giving that functionality to PCs and Macs. Why would I want to sit at a computer to mirror a browser when I can do so with a tablet or smartphone?

J

Stream the free Hulu to TV. ;) Can't do that with tablet or smartphone chrome tab!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

J

because Android smartphone dont have built in screen mirroring api's. devices need root to achieve this

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, thats a bit different. Thats hardware support for a second display.

There are methods to capture a phone/tablet display to another device, but it they root access. Thats not something that Google wants every Chromecast user doing to their phones.

Your right that Google could probably get Chrome mobile working, and they very might well be working on it, but It doesnt work as of now.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do you use Chromecast with a Samsung Tablet?

From a Note 10, yes - Chromecast (see Chromecast mirroring). It'll mirror your screen to the TV. From any other Samsung tab, you can try the app (the latest version may support devices they haven't added to the web page yet when you're looking at it), but if it doesn't work, you can cast with the latest version of a lot of apps - see Chromecast supported apps.