Got Slingbox to cast with Chromecast

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Alright, for those of you who have Slingbox (Slingbox.com - Slingbox Home) and I'm pretty sure you know what Slingbox is. It's an absolutely amazing device that lets you watch your TV from anywhere in the world without paying any extra fees. Go to the site to learn more.

Anyways, for those who have Chromecast and Slingbox both, I bet you checked to see if you can get the Slingbox working on Chromecast. Well I just got it working and here is how:

1. First you DO NOT go to the slingbox.com page where you can watch your slingplayer (that won't work. All you get is a blank black box on your TV once you hit the cast button).
  2. So what you do is from your Google Chrome Web Browser you go to the Facebook app version of slingbox here (https://apps.facebook.com/slingplayer_/) .
  3. If you already are login to Facebook a Sling Player login box should appear (if you haven't login into Slingplayer from facebook before).
  4. Login in with you Slingplayer E-mail/Username and password.
  5. Click on which device (if you are like me you have more then 1 Slingbox in your house) you want.
  6. Then hit the cast button to send it to Chromecast.
  7. Go to your TV that Chromecast is on and it should be broadcasting correctly and working good.

*Have a feeling why it works with the Facebook one is because the Facebook one I don't think you need to download any Slingplayer codec, with the one on the Slingplayer website you do.*

Goodnight

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
What's the scenario where you would want to use this? When you are at someone else house/traveling?

Lets say your at a hotel and the hotel you got has WiFi and you use your laptop to watch Slingplayer. You can take the Chromecast with you, connect it to the TV at the hotel and instead watching it on your laptop connect it to your Chromecast to put on the TV.

Slingbox is a device that you get, The device hooks up at the back of your cable box. There's no additional fees, on cable or anything. Then you just set it up. Then you can watch TV from your own TV anywhere in the world. You can watch your recorded shows, on demand, or regular TV.

fabiosan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a slingbox. Just trying to understand in what cases you would use it with chromecast since there is no point in accessing the slingplayer if you are home already. As you mentioned, you could access DVRd content using the slingbox while traveling and cast it to a hotel tv.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Slingbox for years and it's been great for when I'm not home, or in my bedroom which doesn't have a TV.

I've been thinking about getting rid of cable, and this could be a way. I could pay for my mom to get an extra cable box and put a Slingbox in her house. All I would need to keep is internet, and pay $20 a month or whatever for the extra box at my mom's. I'd want one of the newer HD Slingboxes but even with all the upfront cost, it would pay for itself in just a few months. If the quality is good enough, I may give it a shot.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a slingbox. Just trying to understand in what cases you would use it with chromecast since there is no point in accessing the slingplayer if you are home already. As you mentioned, you could access DVRd content using the slingbox while traveling and cast it to a hotel tv.

I have a Slingbox and live out of the region of my sports teams. I use a Slingbox at a family members house for games that aren't available through Sports Packages or are otherwise blacked out.

This is an elegant solution.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Alright, for those of you who have Slingbox (Slingbox.com - Slingbox Home) and I'm pretty sure you know what Slingbox is. It's an absolutely amazing device that lets you watch your TV from anywhere in the world without paying any extra fees. Go to the site to learn more.

Anyways, for those who have Chromecast and Slingbox both, I bet you checked to see if you can get the Slingbox working on Chromecast. Well I just got it working and here is how:

1. First you DO NOT go to the slingbox.com page where you can watch your slingplayer (that won't work. All you get is a blank black box on your TV once you hit the cast button).
  2. So what you do is from your Google Chrome Web Browser you go to the Facebook app version of slingbox here (https://apps.facebook.com/slingplayer_/) .
  3. If you already are login to Facebook a Sling Player login box should appear (if you haven't login into Slingplayer from facebook before).
  5. Click on which device (if you are like me you have more then 1 Slingbox in your house) you want.
  7. Go to your TV that Chromecast is on and it should be broadcasting correctly and working good.

*Have a feeling why it works with the Facebook one is because the Facebook one I don't think you need to download any Slingplayer codec, with the one on the Slingplayer website you do.*

Goodnight

Dang! Tried this and it won't work for me. I have one of the original slingboxes and what I usually use it for is for watching sports progrramming on my smartphone when I'm at work. Found out that in order to use the Slingplayer software via Facebook, you have to have one of the 4 newest models (Solo, Pro-HD, 350 or 500). So, I guess if I want to take advantage of this capability, I'd have to upgrade to a newer box. For me, not sure if it's worth it or if I'd use it that much in that manner, but we'll keep it in mind.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Dang! Tried this and it won't work for me. I have one of the original slingboxes and what I usually use it for is for watching sports progrramming on my smartphone when I'm at work. Found out that in order to use the Slingplayer software via Facebook, you have to have one of the 4 newest models (Solo, Pro-HD, 350 or 500). So, I guess if I want to take advantage of this capability, I'd have to upgrade to a newer box. For me, not sure if it's worth it or if I'd use it that much in that manner, but we'll keep it in mind.

Well if you decide to get one this may help:
You can get $30 off a new Slingbox from your old one:
Slingbox.com - Slingbox Upgrade Program

rmooney123

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Goodnight

So if I understand this, you cannot simply use the Slingbox app on an Ipad2 to ?project or cast? the video on a TV that has a Chromecast attached? My problem is being able to watch HDTV out on a deck without using cables, extra cable box, etc? I figured this was the answer plus the IPad2 Slingbox app provides the remote. BUT, this may be the solution (I have the HD Pro)..

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well if you decide to get one this may help:
You can get $30 off a new Slingbox from your old one:
Slingbox.com - Slingbox Upgrade Program

Thanks Scutley! If I upgraded, I'd probably just go with the 350. Unfortunately, the coupon is only good on the Slingbox site price of $179.00, which brings it down to $149.00. Best Buy has it on sale for the same price currently and Amazon and NewEgg have it for $148.00. Tempting....

golden_35

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today, but the $149 deal was over...

Any other sources to get it for cheaper (other than upgrading from Slingbox.com?)

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have never heard of a Slingbox... Looks amazing.
I really want them to build support for the chormecast directly to the android app.
As soon as they do. I will be buying one

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today, but the $149 deal was over...

Any other sources to get it for cheaper (other than upgrading from Slingbox.com?)

Looks like the sales all ended. NewEgg is back up to $178. So, Slingbox is the cheapest, but only if you are trading up from an older model and getting the $30 credit. I just picked up a used Slingbox Solo on eBay for $50.

Matthew Margulies

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot, this worked wonderfully for me. My primary reason for getting Chromecast was to watch Slingbox for my TV.

As to the question of what is the purpose of this, I live out of my home team's market so I can't watch home team sports unless on Slingbox. Now I can cast them to my tv.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Received my used Solo that I got on eBay today and hooked it up and it works great with the Facebook app method. I think the Slingbox 350 would give you true 1080p HD, better than what you get with the Solo? But hey, I don't really know how often I'd cast it, I admit I'm cheap and the Solo picture is still pretty darn good. I'm happy with it and now I know I can Sling to my Chromecast!

NoahJohnson

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just set up my dream setup. Running embedded slingplayer in a chrome browser on my powerful desktop and casting it to my big screen in the family room. This setup is controlled with comcast xfinity remote on iPad to change channels on a comcast cable box that sits in my parents basement (needless to say they have the best package comcast offers).

Picture streams perfectly in HD. It doesn't get better than this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD