Can't get my laptop to find my Chromecast

Steve Dankert

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Same issue - virtual VPN device. Disable it and everything works. I too sent the solution to Google and suggested they add to their technical support list.

mssrone

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have tried disabling VM thru network adapters, but no luck. It still showing 'no device found' . I have Windows 7 laptop with Norton 360 on it. Can anyone help me?

dajabec

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I figured out my problem and thought I would let anyone having problems know what helped me.

I have a Belkin and UpNp was enabled and it drove me nuts that it was giving me an error. Finally I disabled Block ICMP Ping under

Firewall > WAN Ping Blocking

It works and I can probably connect to my Xbox too now :)

hong ying

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have ThinkPad T430S. I have trouble setting up chromocast with my ThinkPad. I tried my desktop and it worked. However my ThinkPad still can not see the device ,

ThinkPad has McAfree Agent running. I disabled the firewire from "Quick Settings" and it can see chromocast immediately.

I hope I helped someone who has the same problem.

ChromedUnder

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for this. It helped me get my Win7 machine working where google help couldn't. I have access to a NAS via remote s/w & it installs an extra network adaptor. As soon as I disabled this Chromecast now works from my laptop :) Woohoo! I will suggest Google add this info to their FAQ/Help section!:D
Cheers,
Simon

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
That is correct, as long as you are hardlined from the router you are using for wireless you are on the same network.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That is correct, as long as you are hardlined from the router you are using for wireless you are on the same network.

just keep in mind some older routers (and/or new ones have settings that) do not allow wired connections to communicate with the wireless ones despite the fact they are technically on the same network. This is what has caused the confusion in the first place.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
just keep in mind some older routers (and/or new ones have settings that) do not allow wired connections to communicate with the wireless ones despite the fact they are technically on the same network. This is what has caused the confusion in the first place.

Got it! Didn't realize that

Posted via Android Central App sideloaded on my BlackBerry Z10

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
For those who have the same router Asus here are the settings that I have

I hope this helps

Sent from my Z10 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1383924883272.jpg
    1383924883272.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 38
  • 1383924893636.jpg
    1383924893636.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 36

Mike Christie

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, KIDKAMEL. I just replaced my router with the ASUS RT-N65R. Your settings will be useful as I troubleshoot my CHROMECAST connection issue. CHROMECAST worked just fine with the previous Motorola gateway.

Knuckle66

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I also wanted to let everyone know that if you have Ad Muncher, it's not enough to disable filtering, you need to kill the app. Or you need to go under Options > Filtering and on the bottom left of that tab under Intranet content check the bot disable filtering on intranet connections. This is what was holding me up.

craft_ryan

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm still having issues, but I've narrowed it down a bit I think. I'm on a Yoga 2 Pro, Win 8.1 laptop. I should note that other devices such as my phone and other laptop connect fine to the chromecast, so it seems its definitely an issue specific to my new laptop.

The interesting thing is that when I restart my computer and launch chrome immediately, I can see and even briefly connect to the chromecast. However as the system finishes booting up, the chromecast then disappears and gets blocked somehow.

Items I've tried:

1) Disabling Firewall completely - no effect.

2) In device manager I only have the following (ie no virtual networks):

Bluetooth Device (PAN)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260.

Any thoughts on what could be kicking in after booting up that is blocking my laptop from discovering the chromecast??

Thanks!

craft_ryan

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, I solved the problem. Solution is to disable the "Lenovo Yoga Phone Companion" from booting up during startup. It was responsible for creating some sort of virtual network that I could see under my network adapter settings, however it didn't show up in the device manager for some reason.

So if you have a Lenovo Yoga Laptop and can't connect to Chromecast, just disable/uninstall the Phone Companion program!

I'm still having issues, but I've narrowed it down a bit I think. I'm on a Yoga 2 Pro, Win 8.1 laptop. I should note that other devices such as my phone and other laptop connect fine to the chromecast, so it seems its definitely an issue specific to my new laptop.

The interesting thing is that when I restart my computer and launch chrome immediately, I can see and even briefly connect to the chromecast. However as the system finishes booting up, the chromecast then disappears and gets blocked somehow.

Items I've tried:

1) Disabling Firewall completely - no effect.

2) In device manager I only have the following (ie no virtual networks):

Bluetooth Device (PAN)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260.

Any thoughts on what could be kicking in after booting up that is blocking my laptop from discovering the chromecast??

Thanks!

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, I solved the problem. Solution is to disable the "Lenovo Yoga Phone Companion" from booting up during startup. It was responsible for creating some sort of virtual network that I could see under my network adapter settings, however it didn't show up in the device manager for some reason.

So if you have a Lenovo Yoga Laptop and can't connect to Chromecast, just disable/uninstall the Phone Companion program!

Great tip! Thanks for sharing

prodigy1814

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!!!! This fixed the problem!!!!

i also wanted to let everyone know that if you have ad muncher, it's not enough to disable filtering, you need to kill the app. Or you need to go under options > filtering and on the bottom left of that tab under intranet content check the bot disable filtering on intranet connections. This is what was holding me up.

mgremley

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Knuckle66 - Thank you so much!!! I have never worked harder at troubleshooting a problem than this one and after tech support with Google, Linksys, and hours on every forum - you solved it! So grateful.

ynkeesnum1fan

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
so i'm having trouble finding chromecast on my laptop. I've tried just about everything. i got an HP laptop and using WIN7. also i used to be able to stream from my windows media player to my xbox 360 but cant anymore. so maybe there's something blocking my laptop from streaming, Please help. Thanks