Chromecast no longer detected by my TV

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, I posted this issue on the chromecast google products forum, but am hoping someone here might have some suggestions:

I received my chromecast in the mail just yesterday, and was able to set it up with my TV and mobile devices without any problems. I used it to stream some music and watch a couple of youtube videos for about an hour before turning off the TV and going to bed.

This morning, I turned on my TV and found that it was no longer detecting a signal from the chromecast. I had not touched the chromecast--it was still plugged into the TV and to USB power. I tried plugging it into AC power, tried different HDMI ports on my TV, but still no luck. My mobile devices also could not detect the chromecast on my wifi network. I then tried doing a factory reset by pressing the button on the device for 25 seconds, but I couldn't tell if anything was happening. The LED indicator remained lit as white the entire time and my TV still could not detect it.

I tried plugging it into a different TV in the house--still wasn't being detected. I've emailed Google's chromecast customer support, but still no word. I have a feeling my only choice will be to send it back for a replacement.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen a large amount of complaints like yours. That said, there will always be one offs. Let us know what Google says, please.

Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I called Google customer support last night and he basically said that others have also reported this problem. He briefly made reference to the recent software update for the device, which makes me think that it would've fixed the issue (perhaps)? Too bad my chromecast died before getting the update! I wonder if my device was in the process of getting the update when I powered down. Would this cause a problem? Is there any indicator that the device is currently in the process of installing the update?

In the end he basically just took down my email address and said someone else would contact me within 48 hours to help troubleshoot the problem.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, that's a very good point. Most things don't react well if they are turned off while updating. If the CC doesn't give you an indication that it is updating itself, this could present a real problem over time affecting more and more people each time it updates. This is assuming that when TV sets are turned off, that they cut the USB power too. I'm not sure what most TV's do in this regard. Guess I will have to go test mine out and see!

CeezMN

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Chromecast two days ago (9/10) from Amazon. Sounds like I have the exact same situation as " ejtsang"; worked fine out of the box, streamed Netflix perfectly, left it on all night (plugged in to wall outlet), tried it yesterday and TV doesn't see it anymore.

Mine has solid white light on constantly. I've moved it to different HDMI ports and TVs...still no luck. I'm going to start the process now to get a return. Was curious if the Google process was painless for you and if you got a new one that worked. I'll probably have to return mine through Amazon's process.

Glad to see the post so I know I'm not alone. I'm having a bad quarter with defective gadgets. This makes two electronic devices I've had issues with in a two-month period: Fitbit flex and Chromecast.

Emmegd

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to see I am not alone. I just received my replacement from Amazon and nothing has changed, the TV will not see the Chromecast. It is a Sony Bravia - don't know what others have. I only have 2 HDMI ports (3rd is service) and when I first plugged it in to the first port it recognized it and then made it it's own place on input list, which said Chromecast. Now, it just adds this 3rd HDMI port that has never existed and all 3 are blank. I will send both back now and get my money back until Google figures all this stuff out. They must know what is going on but I can find no explanations or solutions anywhere at this point so back they go. :(

crazycOmrade

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I too have a Sony brava and experienced your problem on two different chromecasts, there is a setting in the menu for your TV, 1. Go to menu 2. Go to channel settings 3. There is a setting called Control for hdmi 4. Turn that setting off, might be a bit different but that fixed it permanently.

hichiban

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, had the exact same problem with my Sony Bravia. Do U mind sharing if you had any luck with the new chrome cast? This is pretty frustrating since I called google and they said to return and replace the device. Thanks guys

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem with one of my Chromecasts. Turned out the original usb cable was defective. Try using a different cable.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Dennis van Hooren

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Replacing the USB cable is not the solution for my chromecast problem. The lights on the chromecast are on either blinking white or plain white. (when rebooting it has a red linking light.)

I tried several things: replacing usb, trying a different chromecast, rebooting, using the hdmi extender cable but the problem persists. Even changing DHCP settings in the router didn't do anything.

My tv does recognise the chromecast sometimes and then it works like a charm untill I turn off the tv.
When restarting the tv the next day it doesn't find the chromecast at all and tells me it has no signal. I only have 1 HDMI port on my tv, so trying an other is not an option.

This problem is the same with the new chromecast I bought. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't..

I guess the problem lies with the tv then?

Kate Sloan

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I too have a Sony brava and experienced your problem on two different chromecasts, there is a setting in the menu for your TV, 1. Go to menu 2. Go to channel settings 3. There is a setting called Control for hdmi 4. Turn that setting off, might be a bit different but that fixed it permanently.

I know I'm responding to you three years after your post but you have solved my problem so I wanted to say THANK YOU!! After using my Chromecast for years my Sony Bravia TV stopped recognising it so thank you for saving me from throwing both of them out my 14th floor window!