Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

Bill Newman1

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that even when I shut down all my devices, including the TV, the chromecast stays powered up, with the indicator light?
I understand that it does get hot while in use, but is okay to leave it plugged in all the time?

It does the same thing on a 4 y.o. Vizio and a new Samsung 46" LED.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sure!

I leave my desktop powered up (it goes to sleep), I leave my Nexus 7 on, I leave my phone on. There's no moving parts in the Chromecast, it's better to just leave it on.

Before the Chromecast, I had a Roku, and it would just be in a "stand-by" mode when not in use and I'm sure the Chromecast does the same thing.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Leaving it on allows your phone, tablet or computer to find it on your network and begin streaming without having to do any set up work. With it on standby, heat shouldn't be an issue as there is no or minimal data transmission going on.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
True. If you "turn it off" it may forget things. That would be something to cover for our FAQ.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

shinerburke

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Both of my Chromecasts stay plugged into the USB port on the two TV's they are connected to. Haven't noticed the lights being on when the TV's aren't on. When I turn the TV on and stream to the they are ready as soon as I am.

Great little devices. I have 2 more on back order.

picopir8

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine is plugged into the USB port of the TV so it does shut down with the TV. The main problem with that is someone could power off while the firmware is updating.

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The one chromecast that I have at my house is plugged into the back of my A/V receiver and it gets its power from a USB port on teh back of our cable box. It's great because even when you turn off the cable box, the usb ports still have power running through them so everything can be off (tv, speakers, xbox, dvd player, cable box etc.) but the chromecast still gets power so it can update or whatever.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Ya Know that's a great point with this auto updates. Say it is in the process of updating and you have an outage or someone turns the TV off. I guess this is why I use the power adapter that came with it. At least it eliminates on of those two possibilities.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
Chromecast

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Both of my Chromecasts stay plugged into the USB port on the two TV's they are connected to. Haven't noticed the lights being on when the TV's aren't on. When I turn the TV on and stream to the they are ready as soon as I am.

Well, that proves that it doesn't forget anything (network info, etc) if it gets powered off. Which is good to know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The one chromecast that I have at my house is plugged into the back of my A/V receiver and it gets its power from a USB port on teh back of our cable box. It's great because even when you turn off the cable box, the usb ports still have power running through them so everything can be off (tv, speakers, xbox, dvd player, cable box etc.) but the chromecast still gets power so it can update or whatever.

Thanks for the tip about the cable box USB port.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Great little devices. I have 2 more on back order.

Same here. When I power down the TV it shuts off

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Same here. When I power down the TV it shuts off

Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input

I can see that being very beneficial. For me personally I only listen to music when I drive or work out. I am waiting for HBO go to get app support and then I can sell my ATV.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
When my TV is it doesn't show Chromecast on my cast button (Living Room is faded out), when my TV is on it does. So, I think there might be some sort of power saving mode it goes to when the TV turns off or something.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I did not want mine on all the time so I went from plugging it into the wall to using the USB port in the TV.
Now it turns on and off with the TV power and works just fine and dandy.
I am consistently surprised at the picture quality of YouTube and Netflix using the WiFi signal through my phone. :)

Mav. :cool:

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I did not want mine on all the time so I went from plugging it into the wall to using the USB port in the TV.
Now it turns on and off with the TV power and works just fine and dandy.
I am consistently surprised at the picture quality of YouTube and Netflix using the WiFi signal through my phone. :)

Mav. :cool:

The whole cast thing is a bit misleading. You are not actually streaming the video from the phone or tablet you are controlling from. Your simply telling the device, hey, I want to watch file x, and it connects to Netflix or youtube to stream it directly.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
Chromecast

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That damn light is too bright. Lights up the bedroom. I covered it up with electrical tape. I do this for all the stupid devices that insist on having a light when in the Off position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance