Problem with Audio using non-HDMI Yamaha AV Receiver

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem getting ChromeCast to send audio through my Yamaha AV Receiver setup. I'm using a Sharp LC-60C46U LCD TV that has two HDMI inputs. One is used for the Cable and the other is used for the Chromecast, BluRay or the HDMI cable for my Computer/Galaxy S4 (as needed). The 5.1 Surround Sound is sent to my Yamaha HTR-5150 AV Receiver using the Optical Digital Audio Output since the Receiver pre-dates HDMI inputs. This set-up has worked fine for everything so far except the ChromeCast. Using ChromeCast, I get picture, but no sound through the Yamaha. Chromecast does give me audio through the TV speakers if I turn them on, but not through the Yamaha surround sound.

Any ideas?

BTW, I've used Android Central for several years to learn about each new phone I've bought and now it's also a good source of information for new products like the ChromeCast.
Great Site!

Thanks in advance,
Rich

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Any help here?

I really like my old Yamaha receiver and would hate to think the ChromeCast is incapable of sending the audio through the optical digital audio output on the tv.

Thanks
Rich

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Try swapping the cable and chromecast into the opposite HDMI ports on the TV and see what happens. Also try using the HDMI extender to see if that makes a difference.

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Devlyn, but I tried both of your suggestions with no good result. It would seem that if the cable feed is able to send 5.1 through the tv to the Yamaha receiver, Chromecast should do the same. Its pretty frustrating.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
If the TV has analog audio output you could try going that route. I have a newer Yamaha AV Receiver that I directly plug my chromecast into and it works very well.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A few years ago I had a similar setup with a older Sony reciever, and a Sony Bravia TV.

The TV had a Digital Coax out. The problem was that it would only pass certain kinds of encoding via the coax. So it was far from a solid solution for passing data via that coax cable to a AVR. I think it is litteraly a passthrough for Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. If it is LPCM or something non standard for the time it may not pass it. That is atleast my experience. I gave up on it real quick as it just wasn't reliable.

The other possiblity is maybe the encoding is something the AVR can't handle and therefore you just don't get any sound.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
a couple things,

what are you casting from PC?Mac? Ipad? Nexus 10?

What are you casting? Youtube? Netflix? Google Music?

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
a couple things,

what are you casting from PC?Mac? Ipad? Nexus 10?

What are you casting? Youtube? Netflix? Google Music?

With the Chromecast plugged into the tv?s hdmi, I have tried to cast YouTube using both my Galaxy S4 and my netbook (Hannspree, Pentium U400 @ 1.3 GHz, 4 gigs Ram, 32 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium - I know, not a beast). Again, the sound is fine using the tv?s speakers....its just not getting to the receiver.

Before getting the Chromecast, I used an hdmi cord from the netbook to the tv?s hdmi to play netflix, and the sound came through the digtal optical port to the receiver just fine.

Thanks, Rich.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Before getting the Chromecast, I used an hdmi cord from the netbook to the tv?s hdmi to play netflix, and the sound came through the digtal optical port to the receiver just fine.

Thanks, Rich.

I would suggest you do this again to make sure it is still functining.

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I was able to confirm that both YouTube and Netflix work just fine using my hdmi cable instesd of the chromecast. The receiver picks up the 5.1 audio just fine. It just doesn't work with the Chromecast. I'm getting pretty fed up with this.

I wonder if the Chromecast could be defective. Is anyone else having a similar problem with getting the audio through to a non-hdmi receiver???

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
OK I just thought I would post a few observations I made tonight. The more I thought about it I figured I could test this with my TV as it is similar in age and in setup. I have a 32" Sony Bravia. Instead of Optical out though, I have digital coax port.

Interestingly enough I experienced similar behavior. My TV doesn't pass any audio at all from the HDMI to the COAX port with the Chromecast connected. I know the Digital Audio port works as it will work fine with OTA Digital TV. Those by the way include 5.1 audio.

I have also seen many comments about the Chromecast not pasing Dolby Digital 5.1 either. Most people are resorting to DD+ to get surround sound which is simulated. And I have had the same experience. Everything I have pushed at it has been detected as a stereo stream regardless of the source. This isn't surprising me to much as everything I can check is only showing stereo audio in the source. I need to find a good way to test it.

So at the very least I will say you aren't in this boat alone. My saving grace is that I do have a modern AVR that has 7 HDMI ports so it really is a mute point for me

Also testing with other sources is great, but doesn't actually mean much if the audio format and encoding is potentially different. On a pc you can force pass a Dolby Digital stream regardless of your actual content, and you can't do that on the Chromecast

I would suggest looking at the back of the TV and see if you have Analog R and L audio out channels to go to the AVR and attach them. Then let your receiver process the stream with Dolby PL2 or something to simulate 5.1

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Craig. I'm going to continue to mess with it but it looks like a lot of people with older receivers are up the creek. My Yamaha is a great receiver and I don't plan on replacing it for this. Gotta see if I can do the analog route, then see how it sounds thru my surround. I wonder if this problem is something that will be addressed with an update in the future?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem here is that it isn't really something that Chromecast needs to fix. I think It will just present the source handed to it. Otherwise you are expecting the Chromecast to potentially do audio processing. I really don't think that is within it's ability. The problem is probably more with your TV not taking that data stream and pushing it out to the AVR as LPCM

I really want to try a file encoded with AC-3 audio and see if that will be passed. I may have to create one though. Unfortunately most of the video files I have present Stereo as the primary audio stream and multi-channel as a secondary.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah crud. I need to apologize to anyone that has read my above comments. Found out a bit of it is just wrong.

First Dolby Digital Plus isn't simulated 5.1. It is a extension of the older Dolby Digital 5.1 spec, and adds allot of extra functionality and flexibility for large range of devices including portable devices. The catch to it is that it isn't supported over older AC-3 style connections connections(Optical or Coax SP-DIF). There is some level of compatibility but it isn't much. It is very possible that allot of people are having issues because there AVR doesn't support it or meet the requirements to run DD+

I also did managed to get audio to go through my TV to my AVR. It wasn't working right away. But for some reason after I tested Hunger Games via netflix all of the audio started streaming. It was all PCM stereo audio because the Coax connection can't handle DD+. I also think part of the DD+ spec is to fall back to Stereo PCM for compatibility.

From what I have ready about DD+ you have to have HDMI 1.3 or above to get it, and your receiver would have to be able to decode it. If you can't do that you might as well just use the analog audio connections. If you want surround then just enable Dolby Prologic2 or what every Virtual processing your AVR does. Sorry for the miss information.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I really think it is the TV. The reason I say that is because there is no doubt that the CC is working, it is just the TV isn't passing the PCM stereo stream down the SP-DIF optical connection. Technically it shouldn't either as DD+ can't be sent over optical. It would have to be decoded down to Dolby Digital 5.1.

I pulled up the service manual, and extracted the image below. Does the receiver get the audio if you connect using the analog ports in the image. Like I said earlier I have experienced the same thing with my TV. I can't tell you how shocked I was above when I tested the hunger games and it finally pushed the stereo PCM audio. Before that occasion I had never gotten it to pass anything other then Dolby Digital 5.1 from OTA broadcast TV.

If the Analog ports work, it would be basically the same as the optical can allow. You would just have to remember to change the source. Then if you want surround I am sure the Yamaha reciever has some virtual options for it.

Attachments

• CC Help Image.png
    CC Help Image.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 91

Michael Whittemore1

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Pioneer Elite receiver. I have everything hooked up already from an Audio standpoint and have a 7.1 setup. I have Chromecast hooked up to HDMI input on Pioneer TV. I'm using a laptop to cast.

I cannot get any sound either from my receiver.when using Chromecast. I'm curious on what the issue is and why it isn't addressed by google.

macleod52

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
There are three issues here that need to be addressed.

1. If you have your Chromecast hooked up through the TV you need to ensure your TV has an ARC (Audio Return Channel). If you do not then your TV will not be able to transfer the audio signal from the HDMI port to your receiver.
2. If your TV has ARC then you may have a setting that needs to be enabled to allow audio to be passed through an optical cable.
3. If your TV supports the above two then your receiver will need to support Dolby Digital + in order to get 5.1. If your receiver doesn't have an HDMI input then it's guaranteed your receiver doesn't support DD+.

You will either have to live with 2ch audio from the TV or Receiver or you will need to buy a new one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad