Sadly My Apple TV with Airplay 1, Google Chromecast 0

danrad55

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was looking for some help "Chromecasting" the LIVE Lollapalooza Concert from Chicago with my new Google Chromecast via Youtube as promised, but no luck. Yesterday it wouldn't play so I thought that because it was new, they were having some start up issues. Today the concert plays better but no Chromecast. Anyone else have the same issue? It plays other feeds, Netflix beautifully. I decided to plug in my Apple TV and try streaming using my Ipad 2. Perfect. I have tried using my pc and Samsung S4 to no avail. Bummed and disappointed and sadly, I have to admit that at this point the Apple System is kicking ****. Anyone here know how to stream the Live feed. Thanks in advance

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm casting Lolla right now. In 720p no less.

From your laptop/desktop, open the live stream. Don't click the cast button from the YouTube window, instead cast from the Chrome Browser tab cast button. Hit full screen and enjoy the show.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
chromecast is 1 week old, Apple TV is more than 6 years old. youtube live streaming doesnt work yet.
I tried live streaming Lollapalooza yesterday but it didnt work but i understand. It will take some time. it wont be long.

this is like saying my six year old child(1 point) can do a lot more than my 1 week old child(0 point).

Chromecast by itself is so powerful and i am sure it will improve over time.

danrad55

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
chromecast is 1 week old, Apple TV is more than 6 years old. youtube live streaming doesnt work yet.
I tried live streaming Lollapalooza yesterday but it didnt work but i understand. It will take some time. it wont be long.

this is like saying my six year old child(1 point) can do a lot more than my 1 week old child(0 point).

I wish I could agree with you but it was Google and Chromecast that said it would work this weekend. I actually read about it here on the Androidcentral web site. I know it's new but they said it would work and it doesn't unless I am doing something wrong. I am disappointed that it does not work and I am forced back to the Apple empire to enjoy this concert. Airplay works, Chromecast doesn't for this application. Will they get it right? I don't know, I hope so. It's too bad because this could have been a great launch for the Chromecast. I feel sorry for all the people that were looking forward to watching Lollapalooza on their home theater systems and can't. So far it has been a great concert!

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could agree with you but it was Google and Chromecast that said it would work this weekend. I actually read about it here on the Androidcentral web site. I know it's new but they said it would work and it doesn't unless I am doing something wrong. I am disappointed that it does not work and I am forced back to the Apple empire to enjoy this concert. Airplay works, Chromecast doesn't for this application. Will they get it right? I don't know, I hope so. It's too bad because this could have been a great launch for the Chromecast. I feel sorry for all the people that were looking forward to watching Lollapalooza on their home theater systems and can't. So far it has been a great concert!

You do know on the youtube videos there is a cast button not on the chrome browser, but where it show's the status bar and stuff, did you try that? I'll try it later can't right now. Someone is watching Mad Men on Amazon Prime movies through my Chromecast.

danrad55

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm casting Lolla right now. In 720p no less.

From your laptop/desktop, open the live stream. Don't click the cast button from the YouTube window, instead cast from the Chrome Browser tab cast button. Hit full screen and enjoy the show.

I have tried this. Everything plays fine on my pc but when I try to cast the video on both the pc and tv gets choppy and impossible to watch. When I tried it from my Samsung S4 with the app it says the stream is not available to chromecast, try another video. Other videos work great. My ATV 2 sitting right next to it without the app works by playing in chrome at full screen and then sending it through Airplay. I really do hope that they get it to work with Live feeds as they said they can do. I am trying to make the Android platform work for me so I can set other people up with some inexpensive home theater systems. Apple TV 2's are expensive to buy tp jailbreak. So far the OUYA looks promising, but has a way to go. At $35 and three free months of Netflix, I can't complain, but I really was excited about streaming Youtube programs Live. Just disappointed right now. It has worked great with everything else. Will just have to see if they can finally get it right. So far Google's history with these things has not been stellar.

danrad55

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You do know on the youtube videos there is a cast button not on the chrome browser, but where it show's the status bar and stuff, did you try that? I'll try it later can't right now. Someone is watching Mad Men on Amazon Prime movies through my Chromecast.

Yes, I tried that several times. Works great with everything else but the live feeds. Maybe I am doing something wrong for the live feeds, but even Netflix works perfectly. If I had not got my daughter and her friends excited about watching Lollapalooza Live on this new gadget, I wouldn't be so upset. . . . . but not as upset as they were. Thankfully I had the Apple ecosystem to get me out of this jam. Tickets to the concert are not available and I didn't feel like sleeping with one open!

t00fan

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
You can't seem to cast live YouTube events to the TV. Anything else will work fine. The only way to watch a YouTube live event in chromecast is via casting the entire tab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
First off, Jerry said it would work, not Google. The comments clearly corrected Jerry and said that live feeds do not work on mobile devices yet.

Second, it's beautiful on my HDTV from my Dell laptop, not choppy at all and in HD. I'm guessing environmental factors are causing your problems.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I tried that several times. Works great with everything else but the live feeds. Maybe I am doing something wrong for the live feeds, but even Netflix works perfectly. If I had not got my daughter and her friends excited about watching Lollapalooza Live on this new gadget, I wouldn't be so upset. . . . . but not as upset as they were. Thankfully I had the Apple ecosystem to get me out of this jam. Tickets to the concert are not available and I didn't feel like sleeping with one open!
you are definitely doing something wrong because you can cast your tab to chromecast and watch the show. Thats what i did when i couldn't cast it directly. It worked.

also, i am a bit surprised that show worked on Apple TV... if at all Google have enabled that feature on Apple TV if they have not enabled it then you would have been sitting with no streaming on Apple TV. that's would have made it Apple TV 0 ChromeCast 0

danrad55

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
you are definitely doing something wrong because you can cast your tab to chromecast and watch the show. Thats what i did when i couldn't cast it directly. It worked.

also, i am a bit surprised that show worked on Apple TV... if at all Google have enabled that feature on Apple TV if they have not enabled it then you would have been sitting with no streaming on Apple TV. that's would have made it Apple TV 0 ChromeCast 0

It looks like I am not the only one having these issues. See the user comments at the end of this article: Watch Lollapalooza 2013 as it streams live on your Chromecast | Android Central

I can cast the page to my tv but the video is not watchable. The concert via Google Chrome and Airplay works perfectly, full screed in H.D. on my tv and stereo using my Apple TV 2. Based on my experience and that of others in the above link, and the fact that everything else works the way it is supposed to (Other Youtube videos, tabs and Netflix), I believe that they promised something before they were ready to deliver. You simply cannot cast Live Youtube Events, through Youtube using the cast button from within Youtube, the way the Chromecast is intended to work.. Bottom line for ME, the Chromecast is not doing what they said it would do and my Apple system works flawlessly. . . . only disappointed, not the end of the world.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow - you're still at this with comparing your situation to everyone else's?

First off, please provide me one link with GOOGLE saying you can live stream. You've only provided one author, from Android Central, who does not work for Google, and the comments you tell everyone else to look at repeatedly correct Jerry that the only way to live stream is via the Chrometeb in the browser. His only link source is the Loolapalooza web site. No where has Google stated live stream would work from a mobile device or the youtube window.

The only way to make it work is via the tab in the Chrome Browser - and it does work and works beautifully for a number for a number of people. It just doesn't work for you in your environment for some reason - but that's your fault, not Google's.

Band of Horses on Friday:
9434407865_21e8dc0caf.jpg

The National on Saturday:

9434407891_6a4c972d23.jpg

Sorry danrad, but you're just not doing something right or your network environment needs some adjusting.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you are casting chrome tab and it was freezing/skipping (unwatchable), try changing to 480p casting under option. I haven't been able to cast tab at 720p, but 480p works almost perfectly. I think it has to do with my laptop's switchable graphic card. There was a FAQ on Google saying that it is a known problem with switchable graphic card.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Apple TV also cost close 3x as much...

I think this is the real answer here...Everything I've read about Chromecast thus far points to it being "a work in progress". Apple probably never would have released a device at this point in it's development, but that's where Android is so different...they release the device and the SDK and say, "Hey, let's see what you guys can do with this!". It will take some time, but the potential is definitely there.

I know that I, for one, definitely don't plan on getting rid of Roku anytime soon, because it still can do a lot that my Chromecast (once it ships) cannot. Given the $35 price tag, however, I certainly did not mind being an early adopter of this product.

To compare the Chromecast to Apple TV (or pretty much any similar streaming device) right now isn't really a fair fight...I already know that Apple TV can do more *right now*, so that's not earth-shattering news to me.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
People that can't cast 720P or greater video from the desktop Chrome browser without issues likely have poor hardware that can't handle the task...

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
People that can't cast 720P or greater video from the desktop Chrome browser without issues likely have poor hardware that can't handle the task...

My laptop cannot handle 720p, but I don't think I have "poor" hardware. It is 18 months old, but still not exactly outdated:

The HP Envy 17 3D is an entry-level configuration now available in the United States and can be considered quite the bang for the buck in terms of included hardware and feature sets. The base configuration ($1,449.99) includes a quad-core processor from Intel?s 2nd-generation Core series, the 2.2 GHz Core i7-2670QM, with 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM and a 750 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. Also included is the Radeon HD 7690M?a dedicated upper midrange graphics card that can be switched to integrated Intel graphics to save power and extend the laptop?s battery life.

And I just got a new router:
Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

My Charter cable internet speed is around 40Mbps down and 4Mbps up.

I can run 480p smoothly but 720p video cast on chrome tab is just unwatchable. For people who had no problem with 720p tab cast, could you list your hardware spec and internet speed? What kind of OS? I am on Windows 7 64bit.

It could have something to with my switchable graphic, but I did have it set on full time high power GPU graphic.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You should also include range from Router/Access Point and obstructions from router. Not sure if it is possible but also signal reception from Chromcast.

I don't think people realize how much of an impact Wifi interference and signal quality impact streaming. Especially when talking about HD. This is actually my biggest concern with the device.I wonder what the reception will be like. It takes a very good wireless connection to stream HD video, and if you don't have alteast N300 forget it. It also needs to be consistant. It doesn't take much of a blip in wifi signal to cause buffering and such.

I ran a Cat5 to my TV area specifically to deal with this. And i may drop a AP next to it just to minimize the change of that being a problem.

Last edited:

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Casting a Chrome tab to watch video is very CPU intensive. My MBA has a hard time doing it, I blame the older core2duo CPU for this :)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My Xbox wouldn't steam the live Lollapalooza webcast either on the Youtube app. I had to watch it on the PC. So the Chromecast wasn't the only thing that was limited to Lollapalooza or live webcast.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My chromecast doesn't cook Chinese food either... but that is now why I bought it and it is not advertised to do it. So I am not disappointed. The same thing goes for streaming live events, or anything else that it doesn't do. I should also point out that when I needed to get to work yesterday, I was not disappointed that the chromecast didn't have wheels... I simply found the right tool for the job (ie a car) and utilized that.

My Car 1... Chromecast 0

on the other hand, my wife started watching Madmen on Netflix...

My Car 1 ... Chromecast 1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21