Sadly My Apple TV with Airplay 1, Google Chromecast 0

Lstream

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
People that can't cast 720P or greater video from the desktop Chrome browser without issues likely have poor hardware that can't handle the task...

I believe that ChromeCast is 2.4 Ghz only? If so, it is going to be very susceptible to interference. They should have put a 5 Ghz radio in the thing if they want it to stream effectively. I notice a night and day difference in how my Apple TV performs, once I upgraded my router to support 5G radios.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. Only haveing 2.4 N is a bit of a hit, but at the same time I have watched needed throughput and it is really minor.

I was streaming a HD Movie from my plex server with casting a tabe from Chrome. It didn't hardly hit the network connection at all. I even did it with the 720 High Bitrate option.

Lstream

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. Only haveing 2.4 N is a bit of a hit, but at the same time I have watched needed throughput and it is really minor.

I was streaming a HD Movie from my plex server with casting a tabe from Chrome. It didn't hardly hit the network connection at all. I even did it with the 720 High Bitrate option.

2.4 has lots of throughput to support the device, assuming that interference is not mucking things up. It is just way less tolerant in the presence of other devices competing for the same bandwidth. The interferers can be your neighbour's network if your devices can see it. Or microwave ovens for that matter. So I expect we are going to see a mixture of experiences depending on user's individual environment. It doesn't take much packet loss to totally screw up the streaming video experience. 5G gives way more margin for error. They should have put a 5G radio into the device. Seems like a goofy oversight.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
2.4 has lots of throughput to support the device, assuming that interference is not mucking things up. It is just way less tolerant in the presence of other devices competing for the same bandwidth. The interferers can be your neighbour's network if your devices can see it. Or microwave ovens for that matter. So I expect we are going to see a mixture of experiences depending on user's individual environment. It doesn't take much packet loss to totally screw up the streaming video experience. 5G gives way more margin for error. They should have put a 5G radio into the device. Seems like a goofy oversight.

The Problem with 5 G is range. It just doesn't get the same range as 2.4ghz. I think from my testing it is just a little bit better thn 2/3 of the range of 2.4. If you can manage to have a clear wifi environment 2.4ghz is probably better. Either way it is an oversight. This is exactly why most of my streaming stuff is wired.

The key with this should be how the video quality is maintained and how it is buffered. Neither of which lend to being involved with live streaming as this post started.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
People that can't cast 720P or greater video from the desktop Chrome browser without issues likely have poor hardware that can't handle the task...

Correct. My i5 laptop with 6gb ram can do 480p nicely. 720p is somewhat choppy. My neighbor with an i7 and 8gb ram can do 720p nicely.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Correct. My i5 laptop with 6gb ram can do 480p nicely. 720p is somewhat choppy. My neighbor with an i7 and 8gb ram can do 720p nicely.

I think the assertion that a i5 with 6GB of ram is poor/lacking hardware is a bit crazy. Was yoour computer attached via Wifi or Wired connection to the network. My Desktop with a PhenomII 1055 doesn't even straing at all doing the 720 with High Bitrate. I think i saw it in the low 20's while it was doing the streaming. That is far from being to much for a decent i5. If your laptop was on battery and clocked down, or over wifi itself maybe then.

Lstream

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the assertion that a i5 with 6GB of ram is poor/lacking hardware is a bit crazy. Was yoour computer attached via Wifi or Wired connection to the network. My Desktop with a PhenomII 1055 doesn't even straing at all doing the 720 with High Bitrate. I think i saw it in the low 20's while it was doing the streaming. That is far from being to much for a decent i5. If your laptop was on battery and clocked down, or over wifi itself maybe then.

My company develops hardware and software video streaming systems, as pretty much our only product line. There is huge variability in the quality of wireless drivers on PC's. So much so that we almost never try to stream on WiFi in demos. Some totally modern machines cannot deliver the packet performance for a reliable stream. So I don't think native processing power explains poor performance. Our hardware has an ancient processor in it, and it can do a better job than a lot of PC's. My 2008 MacBook, on the other hand streams just fine. Likely due to the tight hardware and software integration.

Now if you guys are seeing poor streaming with your PC using Ethernet to the router, then that is a different issue.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My company develops hardware and software video streaming systems, as pretty much our only product line. There is huge variability in the quality of wireless drivers on PC's. So much so that we almost never try to stream on WiFi in demos. Some totally modern machines cannot deliver the packet performance for a reliable stream. So I don't think native processing power explains poor performance. Our hardware has an ancient processor in it, and it can do a better job than a lot of PC's. My 2008 MacBook, on the other hand streams just fine. Likely due to the tight hardware and software integration.

Now if you guys are seeing poor streaming with your PC using Ethernet to the router, then that is a different issue.

VRS?

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My laptop cannot handle 720p, but I don't think I have "poor" hardware. It is 18 months old, but still not exactly outdated:

The HP Envy 17 3D is an entry-level configuration now available in the United States and can be considered quite the bang for the buck in terms of included hardware and feature sets. The base configuration ($1,449.99) includes a quad-core processor from Intel?s 2nd-generation Core series, the 2.2 GHz Core i7-2670QM, with 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM and a 750 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. Also included is the Radeon HD 7690M?a dedicated upper midrange graphics card that can be switched to integrated Intel graphics to save power and extend the laptop?s battery life.

And I just got a new router:
Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

My Charter cable internet speed is around 40Mbps down and 4Mbps up.

I can run 480p smoothly but 720p video cast on chrome tab is just unwatchable. For people who had no problem with 720p tab cast, could you list your hardware spec and internet speed? What kind of OS? I am on Windows 7 64bit.

It could have something to with my switchable graphic, but I did have it set on full time high power GPU graphic.

Just want to post an update. The problem is my HP laptop. I tried chrome tab casting from a MacBook Pro today and it runs perfectly at 720p and even at 720p extreme. I know my laptop is slower than the Macbook Pro didn't know it is that much slower! :(

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Just want to post an update. The problem is my HP laptop. I tried chrome tab casting from a MacBook Pro today and it runs perfectly at 720p and even at 720p extreme. I know my laptop is slower than the Macbook Pro didn't know it is that much slower! :(

It isn't, something else is going on. Whether it be optimization or video decoding, your laptop is more than adequate for 720p. I would try something though. I would switch to the intel graphics card because they have decoding optimization for video (quicksync) which is what the Macs use for Airplay. I know it seems weird because the ATI card is a better card, but I would still give that at try.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It isn't, something else is going on. Whether it be optimization or video decoding, your laptop is more than adequate for 720p. I would try something though. I would switch to the intel graphics card because they have decoding optimization for video (quicksync) which is what the Macs use for Airplay. I know it seems weird because the ATI card is a better card, but I would still give that at try.

I actually had the exact same thought this morning even before I read your post just now. I tried it this morning to switch to intel graphic and it didn't do any better. I even updated to the latest AMD catalyst driver. I don't think it is the i7 cpu. I am guessing it is either
1) Graphic card or driver
2) WiFi adapter in the laptop
3) Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I am not sure what else to try at this point.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I actually had the exact same thought this morning even before I read your post just now. I tried it this morning to switch to intel graphic and it didn't do any better. I even updated to the latest AMD catalyst driver. I don't think it is the i7 cpu. I am guessing it is either
3) Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Somebody else had a issue in another thread about video quality, from what happen to them it was the fact that the Chromecast was on the otherside of the house from where the router was located. It worked fine on TVs closer to the router.

Also for further testing I just tried out my wife's laptop. It has only an i3-2348m processor and had no issues pushing 720p content. I did both Youtube and Netflix.

The rest of her laptop stats are Windows 8 64 bit and 4gb of ram.

Attachments

• 20130810_190818.jpg
    20130810_190818.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 15

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Somebody else had a issue in another thread about video quality, from what happen to them it was the fact that the Chromecast was on the otherside of the house from where the router was located. It worked fine on TVs closer to the router.

Also for further testing I just tried out my wife's laptop. It has only an i3-2348m processor and had no issues pushing 720p content. I did both Youtube and Netflix.

The rest of her laptop stats are Windows 8 64 bit and 4gb of ram.

No, YouTube and Netflix are fine. They actually come in at 1080p without any problem. It is because they go straight from internet to the chromecast dongle and the laptop is only used as UI. I have problem with the Chrome browser tab casting. It goes direct from laptop to wireless router to chromecast dongle without internet. Distance is not the problem and router is not the problem. The Macbook Pro was able to do it easily from much further away from the router and the TV. Both my laptop and router are about 5 feet away from the TV.

Try do the Tab cast with your wife's laptop and run a Hulu video and see it could do 720p or 720p extreme mode.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
3) Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

As others have said I'd investigate the WiFi signal strength and equipment. Try the laptop wired [cat5] to the WiFi router and that should help you determine if it is the laptop's WiFi or the router's.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
No, YouTube and Netflix are fine. They actually come in at 1080p without any problem. It is because they go straight from internet to the chromecast dongle and the laptop is only used as UI. I have problem with the Chrome browser tab casting. It goes direct from laptop to wireless router to chromecast dongle without internet. Distance is not the problem and router is not the problem. The Macbook Pro was able to do it easily from much further away from the router and the TV. Both my laptop and router are about 5 feet away from the TV.

Try do the Tab cast with your wife's laptop and run a Hulu video and see it could do 720p or 720p extreme mode.

I have the quality set to high I don't see an option to 720p do I have to log in or have hulu plus?

No lag at all.

Attachments

• 20130811_061316.jpg
    20130811_061316.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 8

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On the laptop, open the latest version of Chrome Browser. If it doesn't come with Google Cast extension, you have to download it. Now open up Chrome, on the top you should see a little rectangular cast box. Under it, there is OPTION. Under OPTION, you have 3 choices of quality, 720 Extreme, 720, 480. The default is set to 720. If you go to Hulu.com on your chrome tab, you could click the box and select your chromecast name to start casting that tab.

As for WiFi signal, it doesn't matter in my case. Both chromecast and laptop shows full signal and I have switched 2 different routers. It is the laptop. Just need to figure out which part of the laptop causes the lag.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
First off, Jerry said it would work, not Google. The comments clearly corrected Jerry and said that live feeds do not work on mobile devices yet.

Second, it's beautiful on my HDTV from my Dell laptop, not choppy at all and in HD. I'm guessing environmental factors are causing your problems.

Posted via Android Central App

To be fair, I instantly went to Google+ to tell people HOW to cast it. Wasn't sure if telling folks how to get around content restrictions on the blog was kosher, and really thought that people would figure it out ;)

For the record, I watched it all weekend without a problem in 720p casted to my TV.

enflate

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My laptop cannot handle 720p, but I don't think I have "poor" hardware. It is 18 months old, but still not exactly outdated:

The HP Envy 17 3D is an entry-level configuration now available in the United States and can be considered quite the bang for the buck in terms of included hardware and feature sets. The base configuration ($1,449.99) includes a quad-core processor from Intel?s 2nd-generation Core series, the 2.2 GHz Core i7-2670QM, with 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM and a 750 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. Also included is the Radeon HD 7690M?a dedicated upper midrange graphics card that can be switched to integrated Intel graphics to save power and extend the laptop?s battery life.

And I just got a new router:
Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

My Charter cable internet speed is around 40Mbps down and 4Mbps up.

I can run 480p smoothly but 720p video cast on chrome tab is just unwatchable. For people who had no problem with 720p tab cast, could you list your hardware spec and internet speed? What kind of OS? I am on Windows 7 64bit.

It could have something to with my switchable graphic, but I did have it set on full time high power GPU graphic.

Just for the sake of curiosity try it with the Intel graphics and see if it's better or worse. Far stranger things have happened when graphics drivers are involved.

*EDIT*

Oops, Already tried I see. Where's the darn post delete button. Lol.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
On the laptop, open the latest version of Chrome Browser. If it doesn't come with Google Cast extension, you have to download it. Now open up Chrome, on the top you should see a little rectangular cast box. Under it, there is OPTION. Under OPTION, you have 3 choices of quality, 720 Extreme, 720, 480. The default is set to 720. If you go to Hulu.com on your chrome tab, you could click the box and select your chromecast name to start casting that tab.

As for WiFi signal, it doesn't matter in my case. Both chromecast and laptop shows full signal and I have switched 2 different routers. It is the laptop. Just need to figure out which part of the laptop causes the lag.

I had the Chromecast extension when I used Hulu and it was checked at 720p.

You stated that Netflix ran fine so did youtube, so maybe clear your browser cache. Maybe that will lead to something being resolved with a corrupted cache playback file for this random issue.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the Chromecast extension when I used Hulu and it was checked at 720p.

You stated that Netflix ran fine so did youtube, so maybe clear your browser cache. Maybe that will lead to something being resolved with a corrupted cache playback file for this random issue.

Did that and it didn't help. I tried 720p on my work's laptop which is only i5 with 8Gb RAM and intel internal video and it was casting just fine! It does skip about every 30 to 45 seconds but it was doing much better than my HP laptop. I think it is just something wrong with my HP laptop.

480p is not that bad though. Many of the video I streamed are at 480p anyway, so they turned out okay. And I love the cast whole desktop thing for slide shows. Yes, I could connect my laptop to HDMI but this is so much easier without moving my laptop. It will probably work really well if you have 5 or 6 people who are doing powerpoint charts or slide shows on their own laptop. They could do it in their seats and don't have to move the laptop to connect to the cable.