Can I use my phone as a remote when I am off my home WiFi network?

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a CC coming in a few days. The main reason I bought one is so that I can limit the amount of time my children spend in front of the TV. We don't have cable or satellite, just Google TV (and now CC). What I would like to do is be able to set up a cue in Netflix or play movies. Since there is no remote, once the cue is played, it is like an automatic timer!
But say I am on a date with my wife and the babysitter wants to play one more show. Can I add one from the restaurant, or is it necessary to give her access to a device that controls the CC?

Posted via Android Central App

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
No you have to be on the same network

Posted via Android Central App

I would think the OP would be able to start the cast while at home, then leave and the cast would still work. I guess in this case just make the que large enough before he leaves. They can always shut off the TV if they are not interested.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
You can cast and leave the network and the cast will continue to play. You cannot control the cast from outside the network however.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I also dont seem to ever recall seeing a que feature in the Netflix app. I know some TV series will auto play the next episode immidately following the end of one.

A possible solution would be if you Cast from a TAB on your computer and then remote desktop the computer from your phone. I haven't tested this myself because I really don't like allowing remote access to my PCs

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a CC coming in a few days. The main reason I bought one is so that I can limit the amount of time my children spend in front of the TV. We don't have cable or satellite, just Google TV (and now CC). What I would like to do is be able to set up a cue in Netflix or play movies. Since there is no remote, once the cue is played, it is like an automatic timer!
But say I am on a date with my wife and the babysitter wants to play one more show. Can I add one from the restaurant, or is it necessary to give her access to a device that controls the CC?

This can be done from any computer on the network....

You open netflix in a browser and select the movie she wants... Start movie and a Chromecast button should appear... select it and it will send to the chromecast just like it would if using your phone. No need to stream the tab.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835