Sr. Citizen Questions, Please

Robert Rose2

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Sr. Citizen now, and not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore.
My kids are even less technically inclined.
Would be most appreciative for any help.

Ordered a new Chromecast Dongle from Amazon for them, but it seems that the orders are very backed up.
No firm delivery date yet. Must be very popular.

But, would like to get a head start on understanding what (everything) is that we can actually do with it.

a. I understand that you can Stream Netflix and Pandorra directly to the TV. Great.

What else can be Streamed for free ? For a fee ?

b. Can they view home movies and Stills, taken and on their iPhone and iPad, on the TV now ? Is an APP required ? How to get ?

c. Same as (b) but from their Windows 7 PC ?

Would they have to install the Chrome Browser to do it ? Or,...?

d. And, I guess the most basic question of all: What else, and other things, can we do with it (and how) ?

More things possible if Chrome Browser is used ?

What else should I be asking that I'm not smart enough to even know that I don't know ?

Thanks again; appreciate the help,
Bob

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Right now it's limited capabilities but Google has opened the code to get development going. It will be able to do more and more.
Personal videos can be cast from YouTube app or on an open Chrome tab with the Chromecast extension installed.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Sr. Citizen now, and not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore.
My kids are even less technically inclined.
Would be most appreciative for any help.

Ordered a new Chromecast Dongle from Amazon for them, but it seems that the orders are very backed up.
No firm delivery date yet. Must be very popular.

But, would like to get a head start on understanding what (everything) is that we can actually do with it.

a. I understand that you can Stream Netflix and Pandorra directly to the TV. Great.

What else can be Streamed for free ? For a fee ?

b. Can they view home movies and Stills, taken and on their iPhone and iPad, on the TV now ? Is an APP required ? How to get ?

c. Same as (b) but from their Windows 7 PC ?

Would they have to install the Chrome Browser to do it ? Or,...?

d. And, I guess the most basic question of all: What else, and other things, can we do with it (and how) ?

More things possible if Chrome Browser is used ?

What else should I be asking that I'm not smart enough to even know that I don't know ?

Thanks again; appreciate the help,
Bob

To start, I too am still waiting to get mine from Amazon, so I'm sure someone that already has one can better answer these questions...

A. Right now, I know those services are supported, but I'm sure more will follow. I doubt there will ever be *extra* fees associated with streaming to chromecast, but those services themselves may have subscription fees, just as Netflix does now. (like Hulu Plus or HBO Go, for example)

B. I'm not sure about this, but if I'd be shocked if this type of thing isn't supported eventually, if it isn't already.

C. From what I've read, yes, much of the same functionality is available using PC or Mac computer, but you would have to have the Chrome Browser installed (which I'd recommend doing even if you didn't have a chromecast!)

D. I'll let those that have actually used it weigh in on this

The bottom line is that this is very new technology, so even though there's not a ton of stuff it can do right now, there's a ton of potential for what it can do, and I'm sure more and more stuff will be supported in the near futute...and at $35, it's definitely worth grabbing one now.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Read this for some information on some tips and tricks: 7 browser tricks to get the most out of your Chromecast | PCWorld

a) Currently, designed to stream Netflix, YouTube, Play Music and Play Movies & TV apps from smartphone (although there are some bugs with some phones attempting to stream the Play Music and Movies & TV apps). So far, I haven't found a way to stream Pandora. From a PC or laptop, you can mirror your tab after adding the Chromecast extension (or entire browser as discribed in tips linnk above) and also stream anything you can pull up using Chrome browser. Also as described in the link, you can stream local video files to Chromecast by pasting the file's address into the URL box.
b) See a). Apps are in development to allow this to be performed in an easier fashion.
c) Again, See a)
d) Again, See a). Chromecast is so new, but the SDK has been released to developers so the future holds great promise. I've been using it and the streaming directly from the apps is outstanding. I've used it with YouTube, Netflix and Play Music...I don't currenlty use Play Movies & TV. I do have a Droid Razr Maxx and it's one of the phones that is having issues streaming from the Play apps. However, I also have a Nexus 7 (non-2013 model) tablet and that streams everything perfectly.
As long as you have an HDMI port available on your TV, you're in business. You also have to have an available USB port or a nearby power outlet to power the Chromecast unit with the supplied cord. I don't think you can go wrong at the $35 price point and I'm probably going to order another one for the TV in my bedroom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia