Wired PC to Chromecast

ghostface147

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it sucks that this has to be used on a wireless PC. The wired PC is plugged into the same router...but whatever. Maybe they can resolve this sometime soon...

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It can be used with a wired PC just fine. You only need a wireless device to do the initial setup. I've been casting a Chrome tab to it from my wired iMac with no problems whatsoever.

Posted via Android Central App

ghostface147

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
It can be used with a wired PC just fine. You only need a wireless device to do the initial setup. I've been casting a Chrome tab to it from my wired iMac with no problems whatsoever.

Hmmm, that must be what it is then. Will do thanks.

Also, is there a way to stop it playing my youtube videos when I close chrome? I had to manually disconnect the USB for it to work.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Click the cast icon again, and you will get the option to return playback to Chrome. If you've already closed it, reopening it and returning to YouTube should allow you to grab the stream back.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems casting from my wired PC. In fact, I streamed some MMA over the weekend from my desktop PC, since my wife was using her laptop and it was messing with the stream (locking up, pixelated - results of an outdated laptop running more than one thing at a time). My desktop streamed splendidly for 3+ hours straight. :)

dancandy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll suck it up. I'm stuck LOL

My Chromecast is setup. I've tested it from my 2nd Gen. Nexus 7. Worked like charm.

Now on to the wired desktop. The Chromecast is "Ready to Cast" but Chrome on my desktop still says "No Cast devices found."

Help? :'(

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

My Chromecast is setup. I've tested it from my 2nd Gen. Nexus 7. Worked like charm.

Now on to the wired desktop. The Chromecast is "Ready to Cast" but Chrome on my desktop still says "No Cast devices found."

Do you have a laptop that from wirless can see the desktop? Wondering if your wifi is in a vlan or something like that?

Milkman00

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I setup my Chromecast on my Android phone to my network, and even streamed Netflix.

I downloaded and ran the Chromecast app and got the "It's no big deal but your WI-FI is off" error. How do I bypass that?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Check the IP address on your wireless machine and see if the IP address on your wired machine is within the same network.

dancandy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Check the IP address on your wireless machine and see if the IP address on your wired machine is within the same network.

My N7 is 192.168.1.17
My desktop is 192.168.1.7

Nothing else special about my network. Verizon FiOS router. Desktop wired and my wireless tablets, thats it.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My N7 is 192.168.1.17
My desktop is 192.168.1.7

Nothing else special about my network. Verizon FiOS router. Desktop wired and my wireless tablets, thats it.

Hrm, can you ping between the N7 and the desktop? Maybe your wifi ap has some sort of segregation setting between wired and wireless traffic?

dancandy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hrm, can you ping between the N7 and the desktop? Maybe your wifi ap has some sort of segregation setting between wired and wireless traffic?

I had not tried that before, I just tried it now; And yes. I downloaded an app on the N7, it can ping the desktop and the desktop can ping the N7.

fiji19

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
My wifi and LAN are the same segment, but Chromecast for my PC doesn't want to install unless I turn wireless on.

The app only works with wireless devices. What you want to do is make sure you have the chromecast already set up from a wireless device and the Chrome browser on your wired PC, then go to google.com/chromecast/setup from Chrome on your wired PC. There should be a button on the bottom of the page that allows you to install the extensions into Chrome. Unfortunately, since I've already done it, I can't see the button anymore to see exactly what it is called. From what I remember, there were 2 buttons on the page, one to setup chromecast on the top of the page, and one to install the extensions on the bottom. After installing the extensions, casting from my wired PC worked perfectly.

Milkman00

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that was my problem. Now I have a new problem. :)

It installed the extension, but each time I tried to play a YouTube video it wouldn't. I rebooted the Chromecast. It downloaded an update, and now Chrome doesn't see the Chromecast despite the fact that it works perfect with my cell phone on the same network.

I have restarted Chrome several times (and even ended task on it afterwards) but it still doesn't see it. I also tried disabling the Windows firewall, but no joy.

Lastly I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Chrome app. No help.

Milkman00

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Found this thread:

Chromecast not showing up on PC? - xda-developers

Which mentions this:

You need to, on your router, disable the block between devices seeing eachother, or between wireless seeing the wired side, etc.

It might be "isolation", or require toggling the IGMP setting, or whatever else it is or isn't your router doing, but that is where to look. Check it's settings, review it's help files, there you'll find the answer for your brand/model/version router.

In my router (ASUS RT-AC66U) I found the following option which I enabled:

Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

And now it is working fine :) Thanks again

dancandy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Found this thread:

Chromecast not showing up on PC? - xda-developers

Which mentions this:

In my router (ASUS RT-AC66U) I found the following option which I enabled:

Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

And now it is working fine :) Thanks again

Now this seems like it makes sense. I can ping between all devices but just because pinging can make it doesn't necessarily mean that the ports necessary for Casting can make it.

I have Verizon FiOS. Here's a screenshot of the only IGMP settings on the entire thing. I'm sure what's supposed to be on or off or whatever. If anyone has any insight - please do share.
2013-08-06_2049.png

dancandy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a proxy option too but I have it disabled. Try that.

That's exactly what I did and it WORKED.

To clarify, those of you who have Chromecast working properly on other devices but cannot connect through a WIRED/ETHERNET pc, you should look in your router settings for anything relating to IGMP and DISABLE it.

After disabling, I rebooted my router. Once Chromecast reconnected my Chrome browser saw the Chromecast device and could cast perfectly.