I'm stumped and, admittedly, no expert in setting up a Harmony. I have a 670 I've had for years and haven't messed with it that long since it has always worked. I've put the Chromecast into the HDMI2 input on my TV where the DVD used to be. Hitting "Play Movies" on my Harmony properly turns it on to the proper HDMI input and the proper A/V setting. I can control volume for the A/V but I cannot control anything else...no pause...no fast forward...etc. I've tried to change the Harmony settings umpteen ways and nothing changes. So, the question is, am I simply not doing something right or will the Harmony NOT control extra functions?
    08-05-2013 07:45 PM
    Harmony won't do anything to control the Chromecast. Chromecast has no ir reciever to get the commands. The device is the remote.
    08-05-2013 09:53 PM
    nnimkar is right. your Harmony can be used to set up your AV system to cast [TV/amp/speakers] but then you need to use your device [Phone/tablet/PC] to initate and control the cast.
    08-06-2013 10:00 AM
    I'm stumped and, admittedly, no expert in setting up a Harmony. I have a 670 I've had for years and haven't messed with it that long since it has always worked. I've put the Chromecast into the HDMI2 input on my TV where the DVD used to be. Hitting "Play Movies" on my Harmony properly turns it on to the proper HDMI input and the proper A/V setting. I can control volume for the A/V but I cannot control anything else...no pause...no fast forward...etc. I've tried to change the Harmony settings umpteen ways and nothing changes. So, the question is, am I simply not doing something right or will the Harmony NOT control extra functions?
    Hello, I have the Harmony 550. I added an 'Activity' naming it 'Chromecast'.

1) You'll need to connect the Chromecast device to an HDMI port on your A/V receiver. Make a note of which HDMI port and what your TV is set to (ie: HDMI 1).

2) Then start the Logitech Harmony software to add an activity with the proper remote control settings (step by step instructions there).

For example, I had one open HDMI port left on my receiver which was labeled 'DVD'. I added the 'Chromecast' activity with TV turned on set to HDMI 1 and A/V turned on set to DVD.

Hope that helps.
    08-12-2013 07:35 PM
    Now I just have to figure out why volume controls do not work via the Harmony remote while in 'Chromecast' activity.

???

EDIT:

Unable to get volume to work on this 'Chromecast' activity, tried manual volume programming (multiple times) from the OEM Sony remote that functions 100% correct. Uninstalled then re-installed Logitech software, nothing worked. Will contact Logitech via phone tomorrow 646.454.3200.

Everything works except volume up/down on the Harmony 550.
    08-12-2013 08:38 PM
    Now I just have to figure out why volume controls do not work via the Harmony remote while in 'Chromecast' activity.

???
    Make sure you have the right settings set up when you created the activity. If you don't have the receiver set to change volume then it will default to TV.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
    08-12-2013 10:01 PM
    Make sure you have the right settings set up when you created the activity. If you don't have the receiver set to change volume then it will default to TV.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
    I double triple checked that.
    08-12-2013 10:04 PM
    I was able to locate "Custom Buttons" option and just added the volume options manually that way.

Auto settings didn't work and manual programming via infrared didn't work either. For an unknown reason the Harmony remote will not learn or adjust to using the A/V volume controls on the 'Chromecast' activity, the only way was to find the custom buttons option and add it that way.

Harmony 550 seems to be functioning correctly with all other 'Activities' previously programmed. I couldn't even begin to fathom operating the home theatre without a Harmony and trying to use this pile of remote controls...
    danfinger likes this.
    08-12-2013 10:38 PM
    Right. I have the Harmony Touch. My TV, receiver, Cable box, Blu Ray, Chromecast and Wii are all set up on it. My nephew lost the remote the other day and I was one unhappy camper. Had to cut the bottom liner of my couch to find the remote which had somehow gotten down there.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    08-13-2013 03:51 AM
    I was able to locate "Custom Buttons" option and just added the volume options manually that way.

Auto settings didn't work and manual programming via infrared didn't work either. For an unknown reason the Harmony remote will not learn or adjust to using the A/V volume controls on the 'Chromecast' activity, the only way was to find the custom buttons option and add it that way.

Harmony 550 seems to be functioning correctly with all other 'Activities' previously programmed. I couldn't even begin to fathom operating the home theatre without a Harmony and trying to use this pile of remote controls...
    That's really odd, I'm using a Harmony 550 and when I use my Chromecast activity I had no problems controlling the volume. When you set up the activity for the first time make sure you tell it to control the volume through the receiver or your TV and NOT the Chromecast (since you can't control anything on the Chromecast from the remote). When I did that the volume control key codes were imported automatically.
    08-13-2013 07:57 AM
    That's really odd, I'm using a Harmony 550 and when I use my Chromecast activity I had no problems controlling the volume. When you set up the activity for the first time make sure you tell it to control the volume through the receiver or your TV and NOT the Chromecast (since you can't control anything on the Chromecast from the remote). When I did that the volume control key codes were imported automatically.
    I did that several times, was very frustrating. I'm happy that at least I was able to locate a solution.
    08-13-2013 12:52 PM
    bingo! thanks.
    01-01-2014 07:37 PM
    I used several times. but my equipment got damaged
    01-02-2014 06:13 AM