Chromecast causing wifi issues?

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone,

I've had a Chromecast for about a week now and I am a big fan. I am having a bit of a problem I was wondering if anyone else is having. My wifi is having a hard time playing nice with my Chromecast. I'll be watching something on my Chromecast that I started with my Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 7 and the wifi will drop out every 5 minutes or so. It doesn't seem to drop out if I don't have the phone or tablet on, but if I am using both the Chromecast and a device the wifi seems to have trouble staying on.

Anyone else have this happen? Any idea of what it could be?

T Android

Banned
Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
How good is the signal of your router? If it's far away from the cc and some devices are connected, that can cause you to lose the connectivity.

jrstark

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My phone thinks Chromecast is a wifi network. I installed a repeater yesterday because my signal wasn't strong enough by the TV. Now I'm sitting two feet away from my modem, but my phone keeps connecting to the CC, and won't stay connected to the wireless. The signal is fine, this computer is on wireless. The CC is showing as only one bar on the phone. But wifi keeps going to disconnected, half the time my wireless isn't even in the list. Sometimes it is full strength, other times weak. My Nook Color shows full strength wireless. Phone is a rooted ZTE Merit.

OK, remembered we had a stock ZTE Merit so checked that. I'm seeing the same wifi issues. That one doesn't have the CC app installed (no room).

So, is Chromecast messing with the wireless, or is the new router/repeater doing it? And why does it only affect the phones?

Took the Nook upstairs by the CC and repeater, it wasn't finding much of a signal. Unplugged the repeater, waited, plugged it back in. Nook and Merit showed full connection. Came back downstairs, Merit is still connected but after awhile went back to one to two bars. My CC is still in the Merit's wifi networks list, but showing as out of range. It does not show in the Nook's list. The Nook has the CC app but I haven't used it yet.

Router is Asus RT-N12 with switch set to repeater.

Last edited:

Zalmen Labin

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is happening to me as well I've never had wifi connectivity issues but since I started using the chromecast my wifi connection keeps on dropping

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
My phone thinks Chromecast is a wifi network. I installed a repeater yesterday because my signal wasn't strong enough by the TV. Now I'm sitting two feet away from my modem, but my phone keeps connecting to the CC, and won't stay connected to the wireless. The signal is fine, this computer is on wireless. The CC is showing as only one bar on the phone. But wifi keeps going to disconnected, half the time my wireless isn't even in the list. Sometimes it is full strength, other times weak. My Nook Color shows full strength wireless. Phone is a rooted ZTE Merit.

OK, remembered we had a stock ZTE Merit so checked that. I'm seeing the same wifi issues. That one doesn't have the CC app installed (no room).

So, is Chromecast messing with the wireless, or is the new router/repeater doing it? And why does it only affect the phones?

Took the Nook upstairs by the CC and repeater, it wasn't finding much of a signal. Unplugged the repeater, waited, plugged it back in. Nook and Merit showed full connection. Came back downstairs, Merit is still connected but after awhile went back to one to two bars. My CC is still in the Merit's wifi networks list, but showing as out of range. It does not show in the Nook's list. The Nook has the CC app but I haven't used it yet.

Router is Asus RT-N12 with switch set to repeater.

FYI when you use a repeater, your wifi bandwidth will get cut anywhere from 50-75 percent of its throughput.

The only way to avoid this only works under these circumstances.

Your router needs to be a dual band router.
Your repeater/extender needs to be a dual band repeater.

You hook up either the 5ghz or 2.4ghz band to the repeater. Then for example if you hook the 2.4ghz band to the router, you use the 5ghz band to connect your devices too.

Otherwise I wouldn't recommend extenders/repeaters for these situations.

A better option but this is based on your house circuitry, is to use the ethernet through electricity in a wall socket (don't plug into a surge bar) and have it run to your upstairs. Then hook up the repeater if it can turn into an access point or buy an access point through a ethernet cable.

The problem with this solution is that no matter what these companies tell you about how these devices have improved, if the outlets aren't part of the same circuit, they won't see each other.

Matt Yearian

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had issues and looked up inside of my router console to see what was up and found there are a bunch of transmit issues. I've tried updating my DD-WRT(router firmware) and that hasn't worked.
I am trying to adjust my ACK Timing to 0 to see if that works. Trying this because I have checked around and other people have had luck with this.

Also found this https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en&ref_topic=3447927

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
add one more guy having wifi issues.

been having major lag. reset my router many times....even re-installed windows 7 several times, just hoping. then i saw this thread, pulled the chromecast, and it seems i am good to go.

anyone want to buy a chromecast? it's not ready for prime time. into a drawer it goes.

i understand the potential for this device. yet, my roku player does this stuff far better. i can cast local media from my laptop and my phone. just can't cast a tab. no big deal at this point.

Last edited:

jrstark

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a WD wifi extender when they were on sale at Office Depot. That seems to have solved all my problems. I did have one issue getting wifi back when we lost power for about an hour once, but unplugged everything and didn't plug Chromecast and the extender back in until I had the computers working. Everything is 2.4ghz, I've had no problems, even casting from the wired desktop to Chromecast on another floor.

auFan

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this while streaming Netflix from my laptop. During playback, my laptop loses it's Internet connection. Chromecast continues to play. No matter what I do with my laptop after that, it will not connect to the Wireless, although it shows that it is, with the no internet access warning. Once I stop Chromecast via another device or turning off that HDMI port, then the wifi returns to my laptop. I have noted no issues using my GS3 or Xoom

Will Martin

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
50 Mbps here .. hooked up chromecast .. and .. even *without* active casting, speed is cut to half 50Mbps or worse .. using Arris router/wifi/modem on comcast .. like to point out here .. I think it's very poor that there is no Google support phone number or email for chromecast, especially considering the big bucks they are making from this and gobs of other cash cows

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm far from an expert but once the chromecast is properly paired and set up I believe it should not send out a SSID identifying the device and allowing coinnection to it. On my device the only time I see the Chromecast listed as a potential wifi Connection for my devices is when the CC has lost connection with the Wi-Fi router. I believe this is done on puropse to allow the chromecast to be paired in multiple locations.

I would suggest those with problems reset the CC to Factory settings, then pair with the CC from the chromecast app. Keep in mind the Chromecast can only connect to a 2.4 ghz wi-fi signal and all wireless controlling devices must be on the same 2.4ghz connection.

so for example If my MOTO X is on the 5ghz band of my Dual band router and my chromecast is on the 2.4Ghz band My Moto X will not be able to control the Crhomecast. My MOTO X must be on the 2.4 Ghz.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm far from an expert but once the chromecast is properly paired and set up I believe it should not send out a SSID identifying the d yevice and allowing coinnection to it. On my device the only time I see the Chromecast listed as a potential wifi Connection for my devices is when the CC has lost connection with the Wi-Fi router. I believe this is done on puropse to allow the chromecast to be paired in multiple locations.

I would suggest those with problems reset the CC to Factory settiualngs, then pair with the CC from the chromecast app. Keep in mind the Chromecast can only connect to a 2.4 ghz wi-fi signal and all wireless controlling devices must be on the same 2.4ghz connection.

so for example If my MOTO X is on the 5ghz band of my Dual band router and my chromecast is on the 2.4Ghz band My Moto X will not be able to control the Crhomecast. My MOTO X must be on the 2.4 Ghz.

No, as long as the router and both devices are on the same subnet it works fine. My wired desktop, my 2.4GHz smartphone and 5GHz tablet all talk to the Chromecast just fine. All of them go thru my Dlink DIR-825 dual band router.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
No, as long as the router and both devices are on the same subnet it works fine. My wired desktop, my 2.4GHz smartphone and 5GHz tablet all talk to the Chromecast just fine. All of them go thru my Dlink DIR-825 dual band router.

Really? I would swear I read early on that the casting WiFi device must be on the same 2.4 ghz network as the ChromeCast

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Really? I would swear I read early on that the casting WiFi device must be on the same 2.4 ghz network as the ChromeCast
I have a wifi router that I no longer need as a router so I have it configured as a bridge to provide a close wifi signal to my Chromecast, with a separate SSID so only the Chromecast attempts to connect with it. All other devices, wired or wireless, connect with my main router and they can see and control the Chromecast because they are all on the same subnet, just different wifi hotspots. The one caveat is that when I first set up the Chromecast with the Chromecast app, the device the app is installed on must be connected to the same wifi hotspot as the one I'm setting the Chromecast up on, once the Chromecast is set up I disconnect the controlling device from that hotspot and reconnected on the main router's hotspot with a different SSID and it can see and cast to the Chromecast just fine.

BTW, someone commented earlier in this thread about the use of ethernet over powerline not working unless the two powerline adapters are on the same circuit. I am using powerline adapters on separate circuits on different floors in my home to provide a network connection to the wifi bridge my Chromecast is connected to. Having the powerline adapters on different circuits does reduce the throughput to about 20Mbps, which is plenty for the Chromecast but is the reason I only allow the Chromecast to connect via that hotspot normally. In addition to the Chromecast connected wirelessly, I also have my Roku3, a Slingbox, and a BD player connected via ethernet over that same powerline adaptor, but since I'm only using one device at a time it works well.

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a wifi router that I no longer need as a router so I have it configured as a bridge to provide a close wifi signal to my Chromecast, with a separate SSID so only the Chromecast attempts to connect with it. All other devices, wired or wireless, connect with my main router and they can see and control the Chromecast because they are all on the same subnet, just different wifi hotspots. The one caveat is that when I first set up the Chromecast with the Chromecast app, the device the app is installed on must be connected to the same wifi hotspot as the one I'm setting the Chromecast up on, once the Chromecast is set up I disconnect the controlling device from that hotspot and reconnected on the main router's hotspot with a different SSID and it can see and cast to the Chromecast just fine.

BTW, someone commented earlier in this thread about the use of ethernet over powerline not working unless the two powerline adapters are on the same circuit. I am using powerline adapters on separate circuits on different floors in my home to provide a network connection to the wifi bridge my Chromecast is connected to. Having the powerline adapters on different circuits does reduce the throughput to about 20Mbps, which is plenty for the Chromecast but is the reason I only allow the Chromecast to connect via that hotspot normally. In addition to the Chromecast connected wirelessly, I also have my Roku3, a Slingbox, and a BD player connected via ethernet over that same powerline adaptor, but since I'm only using one device at a time it works well.

Interesting stuff. This will be useful next year when I move my Linksys Wi-fi router into my Living room freeing up my bridge to do as you described

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513