Chromecast causing wifi issues?

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem of chromecast dropping off the network. I notice the problem the most when cast from Real Player Cloud. It is interesting that when the chromecast drops, the video is still streaming on my laptop that I cast from. If the problem was with anything other than the dongle, I would loose the signal on my laptop as well. So far I have: 1)changed USB cable; 2)changed the power from USB to direct connect to a electric outlet; 3)connected the dongle both directly to the HDMI port and with the extender; 4)checked signal strength (which is 100% at -49dBm); 5) the chromecast dongle is only 18 feet from the modem; 6) checked that I am the only one using the channel set on my modem within my neighborhood. I did get a little improvement when I changed the USB cable and again when I changed to direct power. But the problem still persists. Sometimes it will cast for 10 minutes then drop, sometimes it casts 20 or 25 minutes before dropping. Usually after about 10 minutes the chromecast reconnects to the network without me doing anything. Very frustrated.

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the same or similar issue: my dongle will intermittently and frequently go into Access Point mode, even while it's playing buffered content. When it does this, it assumes the SSID of my WiFi network - making it look like a 2nd access point. If I make the mistake of leaving the thing powered, it's just a matter of a couple hours before one of my kids or my wife comes to me asking if "the Internet is down".

The first time we saw the issue was about 3 weeks ago, the last week of March, and when it manifested, I broke out a signal analyzer only to discover a 2nd "access point" on my network. This "rogue AP" was close enough and strong enough that it matched or beat my own high-power AP in signal strength. The connection was open (no encryption) and was running a DHCP server. It provided no DNS nor gateway services; it was a dead-end connection. The AP was running on the same channel as my official AP, was assigned 192.168.255.249, and had a MAC address of FA:8F:CA:65:15:06 (which, incidentally, matches no known vendors in the 4 or 5 databases I checked). Some searching pretty quickly showed the device to be my Chromecast dongle.

I've had the dongle since Christmas, and I used to leave it powered 7 x 24. When the problem first started, it was only occasional, maybe just once or twice a week, and we dealt with it by power-cycling the dongle and our real access point. The problem has increased in regularity, however, and it now happens just an hour or two after powering the dongle. Starting last week, we no longer leave it powered and only use it when we want to cast something.

/sigh

Stefan Hannie

May 2, 2014
Visit site
With far less thoroughness of testing, I think I am experiencing the same as you. The problem has definitely increased in frequency since around August or so, and it results in bringing down my entire network.

I'm going to try to disconnect it for a while and see if that solves things.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same or similar issue: my dongle will intermittently and frequently go into Access Point mode, even while it's playing buffered content. When it does this, it assumes the SSID of my WiFi network - making it look like a 2nd access point. If I make the mistake of leaving the thing powered, it's just a matter of a couple hours before one of my kids or my wife comes to me asking if "the Internet is down".

The first time we saw the issue was about 3 weeks ago, the last week of March, and when it manifested, I broke out a signal analyzer only to discover a 2nd "access point" on my network. This "rogue AP" was close enough and strong enough that it matched or beat my own high-power AP in signal strength. The connection was open (no encryption) and was running a DHCP server. It provided no DNS nor gateway services; it was a dead-end connection. The AP was running on the same channel as my official AP, was assigned 192.168.255.249, and had a MAC address of FA:8F:CA:65:15:06 (which, incidentally, matches no known vendors in the 4 or 5 databases I checked). Some searching pretty quickly showed the device to be my Chromecast dongle.

I've had the dongle since Christmas, and I used to leave it powered 7 x 24. When the problem first started, it was only occasional, maybe just once or twice a week, and we dealt with it by power-cycling the dongle and our real access point. The problem has increased in regularity, however, and it now happens just an hour or two after powering the dongle. Starting last week, we no longer leave it powered and only use it when we want to cast something.

/sigh

That is exactly what just happened to me. My chromecast suddenly showed up as an AP. Rebooted it...seems ok now, we'll see how long that lasts.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

rjt246

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure of the timing on that Devlyn16. But I recently switched my router to broadcast in G mode only and disabled UPnP (this was suggested on a forum somewhere) and so far I haven't had this issue since.

fizzicist85

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I had this same problem. My fix was to enter the wifi settings on my phone. Go to: Settings - WiFi then hold down on your Wifi network. Choose modify network config. Then choose show advanced options. Find IP Settings and change from DHCP to Static. This should help with connecting to your chromecast. It worked for me.

Vo0x

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had some similar issues and searched the internet and found people with all types of devices, routers, phones, tablets, and PC's, have had random wifi disconnects.

I pulled up my active wifi connections on my router and had chromecast on my television. The second I hit play on netflix through my phone, it would play on TV but my phone would say "Device lost" and wifi would drop, and the router through my phone IP to 0.0.0.0. My router is set to DHCP, but with reservations for all my devices.

I tried a factory reset on the router with no fix. When I tried to use the Chromecast app on my phone to set up the Chromecast on the network, but my phone would disconnect.

I thought weird. So I downloaded the Chromecast app on my laptop. When trying to set up the Chromecast my laptop then disconnected. I finally managed to get the Chromecast on the newly reset network through the laptop with several disconnects on the laptop. Since then I have not had any issues with my phone, LG G3, disconnect and I HAVE NOT ran the chromecast app on the phone. The laptop is also maintaining an stable connection.

TLDR
My fix for phone/tablet having wifi disconnect issues due to chromecast is to download the Chromecast set up program on a PC and connect it to the chromecast.

rvanbree

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been having the same problem for many months (maybe longer), multiple android devices. I thought it was my neargear router (n300) since I had the same issue with multiple handheld devices (computers seem to be ok) so I upgraded my comcast cable modem to their wifi version (Technicolor TC8305C) which only supports 802.11n 2.4 GHz (and a/b/g/n). That device has the same problem. Then I installed a TP-LINK Archer C2 AC750. Now I have all three turned on with different SSIDs. After a while the wifi gets slow or stops while the signal strength is strong. Turning bluetooth connections off can help for while. I tried turning the phones off and letting it cool down, no change. The only things that seems to work for a quick fix is resetting the router or I can switch to another access point or even switch from n 2.4 to 5g (or reverse) and it is fine for while (the device gets a new IP-Address). If I disconnect for a long time then I can connect again and get good performance for a while.

I have suspected that my chromecast device was involved in this issue for a while. Since it is a bit random I have not been able to verify that it is the bad actor in the network. Since a few others have also indicated that chromecast devices might be the trigger I ran my experiment again. I have unplugged it and for 24 hours my routers and the handhands have not had any issue with speed or routers needing to be rebooted. For me I believe the issue is closed and will toss my chromecast player into the electronic waste pile.

Last edited:

Rasoubia

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue. An AP was matching mine and killing my wifi.
I have found the fix for the AP interference. Just shutdown the chromecast guest mode. And issue was resolved.

Tracker48

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Also same here, I had to get my home network router reconfigured and reset, lost all wifi network as soon as I installed and configured Chromecast Dongle on my TV, I signed up to STAN streaming service, in anticipation, unfortunately having a wifi network is more important than streaming cheap TV/Movie content, returned my dongle to **** Smith for full refund and now signing up for Netflix(the NETFLIX app is in all my smart TV's) in house, so can stream direct from wifi

Adrian Coroi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys!

Since I've started using the chromecast on my home network (a WIFI connection through a router) it kills my internet access by messing with the DNS address.

The local ISP says that it appears a miscommunication between the router in my house and their equipment which leads to a desync between the informations.

Does anyone know anything about this?

kewlrobd

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. An AP was matching mine and killing my wifi.
I have found the fix for the AP interference. Just shutdown the chromecast guest mode. And issue was resolved.

This was my exact issue. I saw these "othre networks" that had no name but matched my network channel no matter what I set it to. I tracked the signal down to my Chromecast and when I turned off the chromecast it went away. I have 4 chromecast devices in use so I turned guest mode off on all of them. Last night was the first time we were able to actually stream video without interuption.

It was maddening becuase I have a couple of house guests around for a few months that brought their chromecast with them. The more people who were trying to stream the worse the issue got so I was convinced this was a bandwidth or switching issue. It got worse becuase there were more Chromecasts turned on and using guest mode and more signals stomping on mine.

Robert wilkens

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I just started having this problem after i bought my 2nd chromecast (about 3-6 months after first, which had no problems). I found one difference in configuration just now between the two (after reading messages here about devices connecting to it for wifi)-- namely on the new one i left "Guest Mode" on, the old one guest mode was off. I don't have a reason to use it right now or i'd test it, but i just turned off guest mode and wonder if that's the problem. The other thing i did was go into my phone's wifi settings long holding the 'saved' chromecast network, and selecting forget network(though that wouldn't explain the wifi going requiring a router reboot). Finally, the last thing i just tried (i doubt this is the problem) is changing the channel on the 5ghz network.

Monchi1234

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
IF you don't want to see a hidden network with a MAC address FA:8F:CA trailing your main WiFi network, then turn off guest mode on all of your Chromecasts or do a factory reset and set them up again without the guest mode.:-[

AlienResidents

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I've been able to solve my intermittent issues with wifi routing going away with my chromecast. I've associated my wireless devices (excluding chromecast) to the bssid of the wifi networks, not just the essid. Configuring my devices this way has stopped the issues all together.

I run Linux on most devices at home, and some android. For Linux (Debian) I've specifically added the line to /etc/network/interfaces (network manager supports this also):
wireless-bssid 00:11:22:AA:BB:CC

For Android I downloaded the Wifi Ally app, and used that to connect directly to the bssid.

tcalidiren

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem for weeks and I finally found how to fix it. Now i can simultaneously use my phones/tablets, pc and chromecast :)) and the connection is stable.

Turn all your devices off execpt the Chromecast. Go to your rooter settings and pair/reserve chromecast's ip with it's mac adress. ( you can find both in chromecast app / settings ) it takes 1min.

Restart your rooter and it's done...

I hope it will help you..

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem for weeks and I finally found how to fix it. Now i can simultaneously use my phones/tablets, pc and chromecast :)) and the connection is stable.

Turn all your devices off execpt the Chromecast. Go to your rooter settings and pair/reserve chromecast's ip with it's mac adress. ( you can find both in chromecast app / settings ) it takes 1min.

Restart your rooter and it's done...

I hope it will help you..

I can find this nowhere in my router settings, where to pair/reserve chromecast's ip with it's mac adress.

I also get occasional Wi Fi issues, since I installed chromecast 2, but only with my 801.11 device, the 802.11 works flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2