10-06-2013 09:11 PM
27 12
tools
    I must say that with this item being so popular and being so tough to get, I'm surprised!

Where are all the app's for this thing?

I assumed that with Google opening it up to all app developers with the tools to make it happen, nothing is happening!

I love this device! I want to use it!

Come on! This get it done!
    08-14-2013 11:27 AM
    I don't believe the SDK for Chromecast is 100% complete. There are a lot of developers who have no desire to work with an incomplete SDK. Surely when they finalize it and get more units shipped out, you'll see an uptick in development. If I wanted to create something for it, I'm out of luck as I don't have a test device. My Chromecast isn't shipping for another 2-3 weeks.
    Those are the reasons, like em or not. You'll see more stuff coming in the near future.
    08-14-2013 11:41 AM
    Don't look at me. I was waiting for you to write one.
    sutton241 and Scott Kenyon like this.
    08-14-2013 11:57 AM
    I must say that with this item being so popular and being so tough to get, I'm surprised!

I assumed that with Google opening it up to all app developers with the tools to make it happen, nothing is happening!

What are you looking for?
    08-14-2013 12:00 PM
    I don't believe the SDK for Chromecast is 100% complete. There are a lot of developers who have no desire to work with an incomplete SDK. Surely when they finalize it and get more units shipped out, you'll see an uptick in development. If I wanted to create something for it, I'm out of luck as I don't have a test device. My Chromecast isn't shipping for another 2-3 weeks.
    Those are the reasons, like em or not. You'll see more stuff coming in the near future.
    Adding to this, developer cannot publish Chromecast feature to play store even if the app is ready(since SDK is beta and Google haven't given the green signal yet)

even if the developer publish it to playstore it will only work with one chromecast (ie, the developers device which he/she used to build)

Google has to release app id for every chromecast to work and they wont do it unless the SDK is out of beta
    Scott Kenyon and bearda like this.
    08-14-2013 12:44 PM
    Don't look at me. I was waiting for you to write one.
    Nice point

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    08-14-2013 01:07 PM

Just be patient big guy, one month is really a short time for developers to put out a tested app there coming. I'm waiting too, cant wait for HBO go, I hope tunein radio gets support, redbox instant. They are coming

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    08-14-2013 01:15 PM
    So the real question isnt "where are the apps?" but "When will the SDK be taken off of Beta?"
    prissysox, Legobricke and bearda like this.
    08-15-2013 11:18 AM
    Yeah, any one heard when the "real" SDK may get released?

Skickat frn min Nexus 4 med Tapatalk 4
    08-16-2013 09:02 AM
    So the real question isnt "where are the apps?" but "When will the SDK be taken off of Beta?"
    This is why I have a love/hate relationship with Google. They do a lot great and innovative things, but it seems like everything is perpetually stuck in Beta. If it isn't ready don't release it. Take the time to polish it up and finish it then push your product out.
    jstwondrng likes this.
    08-16-2013 09:09 AM
    This is why I have a love/hate relationship with Google. They do a lot great and innovative things, but it seems like everything is perpetually stuck in Beta. If it isn't ready don't release it. Take the time to polish it up and finish it then push your product out.
    One way to polish it up is by releasing it as beta to developers. Everyone do this, iOS7 is now on beta now.
    08-16-2013 10:06 AM
    One could argue that Android was a beta up until Jelly Bean.
    08-18-2013 07:47 PM
    As of today, Vimeo and Redbox Instant have confirmed support for Chromecast, reports GigaOm. Others, such as Plex and HBO Go, are assumed to be in the works. And if developers are nearly as excited as buyers about this new device, it's probably safe to assume there will be plenty more video options coming soon.

Also, go look at the Aircast App thread.
    08-20-2013 10:12 AM
    HBO Go still doesn't support 4.3, what are the odds they'll rush a Chromecast app out?
    09-24-2013 06:56 PM
    Chromecast has been great for instant gratification, but I'm going DLNA-certified. If my tablet can talk to my TV, it should be able to stream any damn content on or through the device. Very Apple-esque of Google.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    waydavis likes this.
    09-24-2013 07:09 PM
    HBO Go still doesn't support 4.3, what are the odds they'll rush a Chromecast app out?
    I doubt they will even get started on adding chromecast support to thier app until 6 months after it moves out of beta.
    09-25-2013 09:57 AM
    Here we are 8 weeks out....

No SDK..... Disappointing.....

Was hoping for a little progress...

I desire my - Vudu / RedBox / Showtime / ESPN / ABC / NBC / CBS / Hulu / From Device Streaming....

Strange that is SDK seems stuck in beta.
    09-26-2013 08:30 AM
    Here we are 8 weeks out....

No SDK..... Disappointing.....

Was hoping for a little progress...

I desire my - Vudu / RedBox / Showtime / ESPN / ABC / NBC / CBS / Hulu / From Device Streaming....

Strange that is SDK seems stuck in beta.
    If I were a betting man I would place my bets on the SDK coming off of Beta when either KitKat is released or when the Nexus 10 [2013] model is announced/released. Something to create Buzz to promote the Chromecast as a perfect Holiday gift.
    09-26-2013 09:59 AM
    If I were a betting man I would place my bets on the SDK coming off of Beta when either KitKat is released or when the Nexus 10 [2013] model is announced/released. Something to create Buzz to promote the Chromecast as a perfect Holiday gift.
    Hope you're right. KitKat should debut next month when the Nexus 5 is revealed so it won't be long now.
    09-26-2013 11:18 AM
    This would be my thought as well.

It annoys me how Google uses the public to beta test sometimes. I know i should be happy for the opportunity, but the feeling of irritation just works its way in sometimes...
    09-27-2013 06:48 AM
    This would be my thought as well.

It annoys me how Google uses the public to beta test sometimes. I know i should be happy for the opportunity, but the feeling of irritation just works its way in sometimes...
    Not sure why you feel like a beta tester. Chromecast does everything it said it would do right out of the box. The only additional thing they said was "Chromecast automatically updates to work with a growing number of apps.". And technically, it already has had at least one update. My guess is they want to ensure they can successfully update all of their own apps to work flawlessly first before they let loose the developers, especially with KitKat in sight.
    Devlyn16 likes this.
    09-27-2013 11:49 AM
    Not sure why you feel like a beta tester. Chromecast does everything it said it would do right out of the box. The only additional thing they said was "Chromecast automatically updates to work with a growing number of apps.". And technically, it already has had at least one update. My guess is they want to ensure they can successfully update all of their own apps to work flawlessly first before they let loose the developers, especially with KitKat in sight.

Yeah it doesn't feel like a beta product at all, like you said it does everything they said it would do. I think some people bought it in hopes of the future updates to add more apps and are now feeling put off because that future isn't coming fast enough.
    09-27-2013 11:54 AM
    Well i cant deny that it does feel like a finished project(except for the chrome browser casting that has bugged on me a couple of times). I am just ready for third party devs to be able to do something with it. The thing has the potential to do so much more. I am just ready for Google to loosen up the reigns so the fun can begin.

Youtube and netfix work flawlessly though.
    09-27-2013 12:23 PM
    Hulu is LIVE!

So, two months after release, we finally get our first app.

Let's hope this is the start of something good!

And hulu works great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    10-02-2013 08:10 AM
    I've already had some issues when streaming Hulu. The lockscreen showing what's playing starts flashing and the notification icon disappears occasionally. It works fine enough though I don't think I will be keeping Hulu+. With Netflix and normal internet streaming I don't have TIME to watch more TV that isn't free.
    10-04-2013 09:33 AM
27 12