Chromecast connected to wi-fi, but can't access the internet

ua5um

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I had my chromecast working perfectly after I set it up the first time. Couple of days back I unplugged it from my downstairs TV and plugged it in the upstairs one. Since then it has completely stopped working. I have done hard reset and fully reconfigure it multiple number of times, but nothing seems to be helping. I have two wi-fi network at home and have tried it on both the network. It connects to the wi-fi router fine, but gives an error "Chromecast connect to <WI-FI SSID NAME>, but can't access the internet. Any ideas? Is it bricked??

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A few thoughts.

Have you checked to make sure the signal streght is ok there. That can make a huge difference. By chance do you have possibly have mac filtering or something like it turned on for security. Rebooting the router as suggested is also a great first step.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
remember Chromecast only works on 2.4ghz network so try switching any 5ghz networks off and see if that helps.

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can connect my chromecast fine in the living room but I get that same error in the bedroom which I believe is due to a weak wifi signal. Such a pain because i was hoping this would be a nice bedroom Netflix device.

drparas

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
here in delhi.
was working fine till yesterday.
now is unable to connect to internet with home wifi.
working just fine with android hotspot..
resetted the router and chromecast but doesn't help..

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I started having a problem with my Chromecast two nights ago and I'm not sure if mine is defective. Mine was working fine and then I moved it to another room to try on that TV. Worked fine. Moved it back to the original TV and can't connect to it. It says "ready to cast", but my cast buttons in my apps are gone. I scanned for wifi devices and it didn't show up in the list like it used to. So, I unplugged, did a hard reset and set it back up. Now it shows up in my wifi list again, but during set up, I get the error "Can't connect with your Chromecast. Your device and the Chromecast may be on different networks that can't communicate." It sends me to a help website to turn off AP Isolation. AP Isolation is already disabled.

Any thoughts? I can't figure out how it can work fine one minute and then suddenly it doesn't.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I started having a problem with my Chromecast two nights ago and I'm not sure if mine is defective. Mine was working fine and then I moved it to another room to try on that TV. Worked fine. Moved it back to the original TV and can't connect to it. It says "ready to cast", but my cast buttons in my apps are gone. I scanned for wifi devices and it didn't show up in the list like it used to. So, I unplugged, did a hard reset and set it back up. Now it shows up in my wifi list again, but during set up, I get the error "Can't connect with your Chromecast. Your device and the Chromecast may be on different networks that can't communicate." It sends me to a help website to turn off AP Isolation. AP Isolation is already disabled.

Any thoughts? I can't figure out how it can work fine one minute and then suddenly it doesn't.

just curious to see it the new update helped with your problem.

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
What new update are you referring to? I tried again last night on a TV right next to my router, in case signal strength was the culprit, but no luck. Also tried plugging the USB into an outlet rather than the TV. Frustrating.

Sethoth

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The exact same thing just happened to me too. Worked fine then randomly didn't. I reset the chromecast and turned off/on my modem. Works fine again.

Posted via Android Central App

mestguy182

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I solved this problem. Despite the fact that it connects to your network and appears to have good signal strength, Wifi signal is the issue that causes this message. I had the same error, I tried everything for a week to get it to work, was convinced it was my TV, so I did a little test, took my TV out of my bedroom and plugged it in right next to my router and wallah! It worked. Sp I moved my router to a location closer to my bedroom and now Chromecast works perfectly every time. Hope this helps.

Sim Salabim

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank You so much! It appears it was as simple as that- location of the router and TV! After hours of research and desperation You were the one who helped me! :)

Tracy Mong Wei

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
hi.. i just bought my chromecast recently.. but i face a some problems.. the device can be connect but no internet connections. what should do? please advice. thank you very much.

ztong

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Switched off the 5G channel and reconnected using my laptop and it works now.

I recently had this problem and it had been fine before. It might be because that I moved. I have changed the TV and where my router was connected to. The router was the same one though and the 5G was on. Inspiring by the early replier I tried turning off 5G and leaving only 2.4G on and it worked again.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Make sure there are no SSIDs with hyphens or special characters ... That's been an issue I've found even if the SSID isn't active, eg a guest network that's not broadcasting it even turned on.

Posted via the Android Central App

hnrk242

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
This problem is also confused me. Could you let me know when you solve this issue?

My problem was that the 5ghz and 2.4Ghz wifi endpoints used the same SSID. The Chromecast (I have v2) seemed fine, but my Android/iOS clients had problems connecting. They would sometimes connect if I turned off wifi, and instead relying on the "discover device" using ultrasonic.

When I renamed the 5ghz endpoint (thus forcing both Chromecast and clients to use the 2.4Ghz endpoint), everything worked fine!

Sozturkboran

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
Set e new virtual access point and connect to the net using it. Ur chromecast must be at the same access point you know. In your modem enable broadcast ssid for the new access point. I had these problems but now i have been using it for months without any problems. That's all.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanthan23