Chromecast is a waste of money when I have PS3, HTPC, Roku, and Chromebook all hooked up to the TV.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Chromecast the day after it was released. I paid around $25 cash after a Best Buy RewardZone certificate. After redeeming the 3-month free Netflix, the Chromecast was effectively free to me. (except the $2.31 sales tax that i had to pay)

I used it for about a week. After that, it's been sitting on the back of my TV doing absolutely nothing. :( It's the same TV that I have my PS3, HTPC, Roku, and Chromebook all hooked up to....

I really hope to find a use for it... but can't really think of anything.... Am I the only one in this situation?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since you already had all of those other media devices hooked up to your TV, it sounds like Chromecast was already superfluous. You could hold on to it, since you can bet Google will continue to improve it and make it more versatile. Or, you could just sell it--I'm sure there are LOTS of people willing to take it off your hands. Either way, you didn't really waste that much money, did you?;)

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have Xbox 360 and PS3, both of which are hooked up to a smart TV that has its own Netflix app. Of the 4 options, I prefer the Chromecast so far. The reason? For me, it works better. I'm getting better streaming quality than I get on my other devices and I get it without having to fire up another device or (less of an issue, but still) take time loading up the Netflix app on that device. Further, it is so much easier to browse for content using my phone/tablet/laptop than it is using a traditional remote. I'm very happy with it so far.

It will become even better if it gets support from services like Vudu and HBO Go. They also need to fix Google Play Music so I can actually use it. Currently, I have music stored on my phone's SD card so it won't let me cast any of those from my phone.

Last edited:

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Chromecast the day after it was released. I paid around $25 cash after a Best Buy RewardZone certificate. After redeeming the 3-month free Netflix, the Chromecast was effectively free to me. (except the $2.31 sales tax that i had to pay)

I used it for about a week. After that, it's been sitting on the back of my TV doing absolutely nothing. :( It's the same TV that I have my PS3, HTPC, Roku, and Chromebook all hooked up to....

I really hope to find a use for it... but can't really think of anything.... Am I the only one in this situation?

Send it to me.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
dont forget the cost of internet and the energy you used to type this message(for chromecast). It adds up a little bit to the $2.31 you already spend.

lets look at it this way you wasted a lot of money on PS3, HTPC and Roku

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The kids love to send videos from YouTube. They'll do it for hours.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Google TV in the living room because it is seamless and I don't need to change inputs. I have a Vizio CS on the bedroom and plugged in a Chromecast today. The mirroring for me has been awesome. So I can do everything on both, but still have to change inputs for chromecast. Not a big deal, just need to upgrade my TV now to a newer HDMI connection.

Posted via Android Central App and my Nexus 4 or 7

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Google TV in the living room because it is seamless and I don't need to change inputs. I have a Vizio CS on the bedroom and plugged in a Chromecast today. The mirroring for me has been awesome. So I can do everything on both, but still have to change inputs for chromecast. Not a big deal, just need to upgrade my TV now to a newer HDMI connection.

Posted via Android Central App and my Nexus 4 or 7

Or you could buy a remote capable of programmable macros

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
For me I basically paid $12 out of pocket. Even at $35 it would have been worth it and I have a 360, PS3, and Wii U. One big reason is it is just much quicker to fire up the Chromecast than to try and use any of the other apps. Also, for me, none of those devices support Google Play. So that is an added bonus. I also find it easier most of the time to control the apps using my phone vs. a remote. Just personal preference. I do sometimes miss the voice commands from my Kinect, though.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is $12 for me also since I am already paying Netflix. I think the casting YouTube alone is worth the $12 or even $35. Yes you could do it from your PS3 or Xbox or Smart TV or whatever device already connected to your TV, but it is different when you have other people at your home. EVERYONE with a smart phone or tablet (iOS or Android) could cast YouTube on your TV. There is no downtime search for the next video because people would have one ready on their phone to cast next. My brother who has an Apple TV that could mirror iDevices told me that the Chromecast is better at the YouTube casting since it works for all devices. Apple TV will only work if you have certain versions of the apple OS on MacBooks.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
With all the other devices you have im not really that clear on what your expectations were when you bought the chromecast but hey its not like it was a whole bunch of $$. I figure the $35 is well spent seeing how its a fraction of the cost of other items that do the same thiing. The biggie for me is using the chromecast when i travel and using on TVs with only antenna signal.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Having a Roku is precisely why I didn't buy a Chromecast. I may end up buying one eventually, but it doesn't add much functionality for me at the moment. Especially after the Netflix promotion sold out in 24 hours on the Play store.

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a PS3 hooked up to my largest TV (55") and I have a smart TV in another room capable of YouTube, Netflix, etc. However, I still choose the Chromecast on the 55" because it is SO EASY. I can be relaxing on the couch and suddenly decide to fire up YouTube or Netflix and it's done. Otherwise, I have to get up, get two remotes (one for TV to change inputs and my PS3 remote). Turn on PS3. Wait. Then navigate to Netflix, etc.

Other things I'm happy about:
1. I can use the Chromecast on a third TV that has no cable box or other source at the moment and make it useful to guests.
2. I want to host a party where people can cast videos to the TV (what a fun idea).
3. PlayMusic is awesome, since I did not have a way to play my music library in my family room/kitchen before.
4. The possibilities of what else will be available once developers have had time to create new apps.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It may not be very useful right now but 3-6 months when (hopefully) the apps start coming, I have a feeling it'll become my primary streaming source. The PS3 has pretty limited app support and it's not at all open and while I like my Roku, it's prone to crashes and slow. Plus most of the free apps have so many ads. The only future advantage I see is Roku and PS3 both have Amazon video support which doesn't seem like it'll ever come to Android proper. Android should have much more top-tier content providers than either.

Otherwise I've found it infinitely easier and faster to find content on my phone and send it to the Chromecast than it is to browse with an infrared remote. Plus in social situations, it's really fun with everyone sending YouTube videos from their phones.

anon(4054009)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Well the white LED is nice
Seriously, as others posted if you read anything about it, what did you expect? Was the hype just overpowering?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Just leaving this question here.

Can you tell me any other device where you can stream Hulu to your tv without having to pay for Hulu Plus straight out of the box?

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Having a Roku is precisely why I didn't buy a Chromecast. I may end up buying one eventually, but it doesn't add much functionality for me at the moment. Especially after the Netflix promotion sold out in 24 hours on the Play store.
I felt that way too, and may not have bought it (yet) if I didn't get the Netflix promo. Knowing what I know now I would have bought it for $35 even without the promo. I love my Roku but (as you no doubt know) the workarounds for YouTube on Roku are not exactly elegant. I hope that Google can avoid the issue that Roku ran into with HBOgo for Comcast subscribers. I especially like the fact that CC is/will be device/OS agnostic and open source.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08