I've researched and physically experimented with this but just cannot seem to get it to work. Maybe someone can help. One of my laptops is the cheapo version Chrome Book made by Samsung. What I am trying to do is tab cast local movie files via Chromecast from the Chrome Book.

Lets start with a movie downloaded to the Chrome Book in MP4 format. Assuming that is file is on the machine how do I go about casting it to my TV? If it helps or makes any difference I can have the same file on a USB drive that I can plug into the Chrome Book. Either way I am just trying to cast the downloaded movie from the Chrome Book to the TV. Can this be done?
    08-23-2013 11:17 AM
    I read you have to open the media in the chrome browser. You'll be able to cast it from the tab. I haven't tried it, but maybe I'll get around to it after my daughter is done watching Daniel Tiger.
    fkpalm and ddillon80 like this.
    08-23-2013 01:52 PM
    Still haven't gotten a chance to try it. I believe you can just drag and drop the file into Chrome and hit the cast button though. If you get a chance to try it before I do let me know how it works.
    08-24-2013 11:56 AM
    Still haven't gotten a chance to try it. I believe you can just drag and drop the file into Chrome and hit the cast button though. If you get a chance to try it before I do let me know how it works.
    Unfortunately I am not too familiar with the Chromebook. I have never really sat down and learned all of the functions but because it's small and light I figured it would be a good choice when casting from a browser.

This article tells you how to cast local video files through Chromecast but I can't find the file path on the Chromebook. With my desktop or other laptops I can find the file path no problem but not on the Chromebook.
    08-25-2013 08:13 AM
    OK got it...the file paths for the Chromebook are:

Files on the machine - file:///home/chronos/user/Downloads/
    Files on external storage - file:///media/
    Scott Kenyon likes this.
    08-25-2013 08:58 AM