Chromecast video quality issues

mweba

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I've read through most of the threads on this and other sites looking for a remedy to my problem. While casting my video quality is terrible (240P ish). Video is downloaded Google movie content not streaming. Web browser mirroring looks fine.
What I have done thus far:
Moved the router away from the CC as it is within a foot.
Casted through my phones Hotspot (interestingly the data stream shows up on the phones data meter and my reported to provider data usage)
Attempted to route through a 4510L mifi without luck as the mifi currently has no service.
Lastly, set up my laptop with Connectify as this thread recommended http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...android-phone-hotspot-ap-isolation-issue.html

None of these attempts resolved the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well there is part of the problem. You don't stream from your local mobile device. The only device that streams locally is a desktop with chrome browser by casting the tab.

When you click on the casting button in play movies on your Nexus 7 and then click on the movie to play your Nexus 7 is simiply telling the CC to go get the content from Google and play it on the TV. Your N7 is simply a remote.

The biggest reason you would have low video quality is your bandwidth is limited. By chance are you getting a poor connection to your router with your CC. What is the bandwidth you have for your internet connection. You will need atleast a good 5mbps down to stream HD reliably. Other devices on the network sucking can quickly chew up bandwidth to.

Posted via Android Central App

mweba

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what I was afraid of. In other words, it is basically a Roku without all the features.... Makes the unit useless to me as my fast connection is 4Glte.

I appreciate your help gentlemen. Back to the drawing board.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was afraid of. In other words, it is basically a Roku without all the features.... Makes the unit useless to me as my fast connection is 4Glte.

I appreciate your help gentlemen. Back to the drawing board.
In my experience, streamers like the roku dont play youtube and netflix anywhere near as well or as quickly as the chromecast and lack the queing up features so you can browse while playing exc. But thats just me...

To answer the OP, it has to be a bandwidth issue. Not enough is getting to the chromecast. So you either have something else on your network sucking up the bandwidth, or your internet/router cannot deliver what you need.

The other alternative is of course faulty hardware...

mweba

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, streamers like the roku dont play youtube and netflix anywhere near as well or as quickly as the chromecast and lack the queing up features so you can browse while playing exc. But thats just me...

To answer the OP, it has to be a bandwidth issue. Not enough is getting to the chromecast. So you either have something else on your network sucking up the bandwidth, or your internet/router cannot deliver what you need.

The Roku has been the best "smart hub" interface I've used, all but given up on my Samsung smart tv. Obviously the confusion about the CC is on my end as I didn't study up on how it actually streams content. I took it as I could push content straight to the dongle as in my downloaded Play Movies. Being on limited internet usage, that is what I was after.

My phone pulls down a consistent 14 but the interaction between router and phone could be some of the problem. Now, since Roku is coming out with a device streaming service, I wonder if the same issues will arrive.

JIMV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well there is part of the problem. You don't stream from your local mobile device. The only device that streams locally is a desktop with chrome browser by casting the tab.

When you click on the casting button in play movies on your Nexus 7 and then click on the movie to play your Nexus 7 is simiply telling the CC to go get the content from Google and play it on the TV. Your N7 is simply a remote.

The biggest reason you would have low video quality is your bandwidth is limited. By chance are you getting a poor connection to your router with your CC. What is the bandwidth you have for your internet connection. You will need atleast a good 5mbps down to stream HD reliably. Other devices on the network sucking can quickly chew up bandwidth to.

Posted via Android Central App

I am not sure I understand what you are saying in part of this. My Razor HD with the chromecast app casts You Tube without issues???

JIMV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

My setup is pretty basic. I have a linski 2500 router and am receiving 40mpbs at the router. It in turn is sending me about 25mpbs to my PC per Speedest. The PC is less than 10 feet from the Chromecast which should be getting about the same. My phone, a Razor HD is getting 15 mpbs at the PC location and 14mpbs sitting on the chromecast.

All that said, when I stream a 5 minute You Tube music video, all is well. If I try to stream a movie on You Tube, the signal jerks, sputters, freezes and then decides to crash. Multiple tries result in the same issue.

Why and how do I fix it?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My setup is pretty basic. I have a linski 2500 router and am receiving 40mpbs at the router. It in turn is sending me about 25mpbs to my PC per Speedest. The PC is less than 10 feet from the Chromecast which should be getting about the same. My phone, a Razor HD is getting 15 mpbs at the PC location and 14mpbs sitting on the chromecast.

All that said, when I stream a 5 minute You Tube music video, all is well. If I try to stream a movie on You Tube, the signal jerks, sputters, freezes and then decides to crash. Multiple tries result in the same issue.

Why and how do I fix it?

My cc has not crashed one time in using it every day for YouTube and Netflix for the past 3 weeks.

I would get a replacement. Sounds like faulty hardware

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast has noticebaly worse Netflix quality than my Roku or Apple TV. I only have one for traveling to use in hotel rooms and to geek around with. I think most people would be far better served by a Roku than anything else. Much more content, Plex, USB slot on higher end models, much better wifi etc.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Chromecast has noticebaly worse Netflix quality than my Roku or Apple TV. I only have one for traveling to use in hotel rooms and to geek around with. I think most people would be far better served by a Roku than anything else. Much more content, Plex, USB slot on higher end models, much better wifi etc.

weird, mine is every bit as good as the Netlix on my PS3.

mweba

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

My thoughts exactly. Went ahead and set up my van TV for av connection to the roku. Havent used the CC since starting this thread.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure I understand what you are saying in part of this. My Razor HD with the chromecast app casts You Tube without issues???

What is it you don't get. If you are referring to casting Youtube videos, your phone phone doesn't download and then send it to the CC. Your phone simply tells the CC to go get it from Youtube directly.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Why and how do I fix it?

First of all what do you mean by you have 40mbps to the router and then 25mbps to the desktop. My guess is you mean you are paying for 40mbps from your ISP. Keep in mind almost all providers sell there service as up to that speed and it isn't guaranteed. If you really are getting 40mbps at the router and you loose 15 just getting it to your desktop you need to replace the router. You shouldn't see hardly any loss in performance.

Also I would suspect that your wifi is a problem possibly if you are getting speeds of only 14mbps. Wifi fluctuates allot and that is a pretty poor connection especially now with N networks. I would also suggest using the hdmi extension cable if you aren't already. Allot of people have reports it has helped with certain issues.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I have to agree with Devlyn16 on this. I can't compare to a Roku, but i don't see how the CC could get much better. I have attached my CC to a 1080P TV and nothing else has compared to it. The only thing that came close was a real Blu-Ray, and I would say that is pretty much even.

I would also challenge mweba to find any device that integrates as well with our portable phone or tablets. You might say the apple TV with the ipad but it isn't a universal solution.The roku may have a good UI to be run from the big screen, but i don't think that comes close to the user interface on a tablet or phone in many cases.

mweba

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If by integrate you mean using a phone or tablet for a remote control, then yes it is slick. Aside from a couple niche functions the CC does little more than lets say a Roku. I can easily control all functions of the roku from any android or Apple device. With third party apps I can also mirror onto my TV.

My issue is this, in my house with my hardware configuration, the roku streams hd without a hiccup..... The CC is 360p at best and still buffers. Same setup, same content.

See I did challenge the CC to replace my Roku and it failed. No big deal, life goes on.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you directly compare app support right now the CC will loose every time. I mean seriously it only supports Google Music,Movies, Netflix and Youtube. That can't and won't change until the SDK is officially release and apps add support. I believe apps like plex was mentioned above, and they for example are one of those that will move to integrate once the official SDK is released. You have to take into account the fact that the ruku has years to build it's app library, and the CC hasn't really gotten started yet. But this ofcourse could be an issue for some

My point was that the overall UI on a tablet is nicer then a directional keypad that you get with any media streaming device. That ofcourse that is just be my opinion. I also really like the idea of being able to have the tablet be a secondary display for content that is being streamed to the tv. Could you imagine having playing on the CC and then the various factoids and cast information pop up on the tablet if you want it. It could add allot of additional features if something like that is implemented.

I really don't get your 360p comment. That is only going to happen if you have a bandwidth issue as stated several times above. Something tells me your direct comparison isn't as direct as you think. My guess is there is something different in the buffering between the two devices and at least the CC isn't getting a good wifi connection. Have you connected the little extension cable between the CC and the device it is plugged into. I have seen posts where that has helped with wifi issues. Wifi can be very finicky. That is the main reason I ran Cat5 out to my HTPC instead of trying Wifi. Just for giggles I ran a wifi speed test at the location my CC is at and got nearly 40mbps with my phone. Maybe having that good of a connection is why it works so well for me. The problem wifi has is there are to many opportunities for signal loss or just random drops in throughput. If i could connect cat 5 to the CC I would.

My stance on the CC has personally been it is great if you don't have something already, which i didn't. At least for now it really shouldn't be expected to replace a $69-100 piece of gear that has been out for 3 generations of hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair