Switch TV input back

pughmat

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
It's great that Chromecast switches my input when in use, but I can't seem to get it to switch back to my previous input when I close the communicating Apps on my tablet.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When you go to the other device and try to access it, the new device should tell the TV to switch back. That is at least my understanding of it.

Posted via Android Central App

docbeatle

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I found that it works best to "uncast" or touch the cast icon in the app to return to the "ready to cast" screen before switching apps.

pughmat

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Either I'm not understanding or I guess I may not have been clear in my explanation.

My TV is using HDMI 1 to watch regular tv/cable. When I chromecast, it automatically switches to HDMI 3 on the TV input without me having to touch the tv remote. However, when I turn of the casting App or close it down, my TV remains on HDMI 3 with the ready for casting screen. I was hoping to find a way to have it switch back to HDMI 1 without the need to find the tv remote.

Not sure if it is possible, but thought I would double check with a better explanation this time.

Thanks for the help!

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason the CC can trigger the tv to change sources is by passing the command down the HDMI cable via the CEC standards. Basically what ever source you want to switch to needs to do the same. So if your cablebox can submit the same command with that standard it should switch back. The question is does your other source support the HDMI-CEC commands to tell it to switch back. If it doesn't, you will likely have to always tell the TV to change back to the other input device.

It seems to me the question is does your Cablebox/STB support HDMI-CEC.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's possible for the CC to force the TV to automatically return to the previous input currently.

From my understanding, HDMI-CEC offers more functionality than the CC is currently using (like changing tv volume, channels, etc) so it might be possible that the CC could enable your phone or tablet to become a semi-functional standalone wifi remote control someday, but for now the CC is just limited to turning on your TV and switching to the CC's input.

benny shell

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's great that Chromecast switches my input when in use, but I can't seem to get it to switch back to my previous input when I close the communicating Apps on my tablet.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

That's actually your TV switching to a new active HDMI source, it's not the Chromecast. So to switch back you'd have to have your TV remote and do it manually. Google TV would've been perfect for you because it never needed to switch the input for all the smart tv functions, but they cut the pass thru feature out of the Android tvs that they replaced those with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae