Is Google waiting for Kitt Katt?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just curious to everyone's thoughts. Does anyone think Google is waiting for Kitt Katt to release the SDK for chromecast?

Maximize exposure?
Might any ?features? be Kitt Katt Dependant?
???

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Doubtful. Not many current devices will get KitKat, so making features dependent on it would shut out way too many people. It is possible, however, that resources have been moved away from the SDK and into getting KitKat completed.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't work like that. The main reason being is most developers to ensure maximum backwards compatibility focuses on Android 2.3.

Also the Chromecast SDK will probably be an addon not part of the base package.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I sat next to a Google Engineer last night and we chatted for a few minutes about all things Android.

I asked why the delay in the Chromecast SDK and why the patching of home-brewed software for the device.

While my seat mate did his best to be open and honest, he was clear that it was speculation on his part as he does not work for that group.

He said that basically content makers, think Movie Studios/Record Studios/etc. are still rather scared of the modern world and are even more scared that their revenue stream which they protect at all costs might be diminishing.

He said that once Google irons out the legal side of things it is his understanding that the SDK will roll out and that more apps will be Chromecast compatible.

Dan

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I sat next to a Google Engineer last night and we chatted for a few minutes about all things Android.

I asked why the delay in the Chromecast SDK and why the patching home-brewed software for the device.

While my seat mate did his best to be open and honest, he was clear that it was speculation on his part as he does not work for that group.

He said that basically content makers, think Movie Studios/Record Studios/etc. are still rather scared of the modern world and are even more scared that their revenue stream which they protect at all costs might be diminishing.

He said that once Google irons out the legal side of things it is his understanding that the SDK will roll out and that more apps will be Chromecast compatible.

Dan

Just want to touch on this. Some people may not be aware of this, but many of us have household DVRs.

When Tivo was pushing this technology, the TV/Movie industry tried to sued them out of existence.

There was another manufacturer at the time known as ReplayTV, because it had implemented a commercial skipping feature. The Tv Industry sued them and due to the costs of the lawsuits, they filed bankruptcy.

Currently, Dish Network's Hopper is being sued because of AD skipping.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just curious to everyone's thoughts. Does anyone think Google is waiting for Kitt Katt to release the SDK for chromecast?

Maximize exposure?
Might any ?features? be Kitt Katt Dependant?
???
Dont think so!!! if they want SDK on all Android devices they could easily do this with playstore service now.
its more of a platform independent service and they want the service to not tied to any platform. that's why it has support for iOS as well.

Google is trying to take its time to get the sdk right since many developer dont update SDK on the app often

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I could see them announcing the sdk release alongside kitkat, but i see no reason for them to be dependent on each other. It would make sense to announce it this way though. Free PR for another product basically...

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it will be dependent. As with Google Play Services, it seems their goals are to make it as backward compatible as possible. Announcing it alongside KitKat would possibly give it additional publicity as if it didn't already get enough within the tech industry.