Google basically has dropped support for Chromecast

dan smartt

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Where are all the apps - Google keeping the chromecast locked down - lot of potential little follow through from google :(

Posted via Android Central App

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
How does low numbers of released 3rd party apps mean that Google no longer supports a device?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Where are all the apps - Google keeping the chromecast locked down - lot of potential little follow through from google :(

What apps?

They need to release the SDK so devs can officially release their apps with Chromecast support.

shn'g

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I am impatient to but I bought it knowing what it does now and am ok with it. Do I want them to open it up, for sure. If they don't though I'm not going to scream at them over $35

The dman

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
To tell you the truth my Chromecast sits mostly idle and I use my Roku3. I don't regret buying it especially since I got 3 months of Netflix included but it's sorely lacking on content.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
To tell you the truth my Chromecast sits mostly idle and I use my Roku3. I don't regret buying it especially since I got 3 months of Netflix included but it's sorely lacking on content.
See, we went the opposite direction. The thing we use the Chromecast for the most is Netflix and Hulu. It is so much easier to just find content on the tablet or phone we already have in our hand and just cast it to the TV than to find the Roku remote, switch over and navigate the poorly built Roku version of Netflix. We ended up selling our Roku because we didn't use it anymore.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I had an interesting conversation with a buddy who just took a job with HBO (as an attorney) and he said that anything Google scares the heck out of traditional media due to in large part many of us the enthusiasts who enjoy "hacking" our devices.

Essentially Google has had an uphill battle ensuring traditional media (who is scared to death of pirated materia) that Chromecast is secure enough to protect its content from being pirated.

Google wants Chromecast to succeed but they have to have their ducks in a row or else the content providers will not provide content to the device. He said the going feeling is that Google equals loss of content as their users are always looking to hack whatever Google puts out, it is part of the culture and Google needs to show the content providers that its stuff is secure.

Hence, over on XDA we see complaints about the hardened bootloader which makes it much harder to do things with the device that content providers do not want us (the consumers) to do with their content.

Be it right or wrong, the content providers play a role here and sadly us consumers are going to have to take a backseat.

JIMV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I find the app more useful than my other means of accessing You Tube or Netflix...The interface in my Toshiba Blue Ray Player is a mess. I have to hunt titles one letter at a time on my remote but I can type them on my phone...My issue is in the refusal of the app to stop something when I want and let me move on. I tell it to stop and it ignores me more often than not. I stop the cast and it still plays until it wants to stop...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci