Worked great for 2 days, now youtube won't play

laserone

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I got a Chromecast the other night. It worked perfectly the first night and last night, too. I streamed many youtube videos w/ no problems and even websites from my laptop.

Tonight, every youtube video I play starts, and then stops, and then says "error playing this video" or something to that effect. I rebooted my cable modem, then my router, killed the app on my phone, rebooted my phone, than unplugged the chromecast to reboot it. I did notice that the Chromecast was rather hot. Could the heat be the problem? I skimmed the long threat here about whether or not to leave it plugged in or not, and it seems most people do leave it plugged in.

I have no idea why it would work for 2 days and then start giving errors every time I try to play a video. Any thoughts? :-\

EDITED TO ADD:
I see this w/ every video I try to play on youtube to night, after two days of it working fine, even videos that played fine before. And these same vids play fine on my laptop. I'm stumped.
photo(1).JPG

Last edited:

laserone

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Huh, ok, this is interesting. So I played a movie via Chromecast w/ Netflix no problem. Then I went to youtube and was able to play a handful of videos w/ no problem at all. Then just out of curiosity, I went to the particular video I was trying to watch the other night and it started acting up again; played for a few minutes, went quiet, made a blip sound, then gave me that error in the photo from my original post and THEN every single video I tried to play after that messed up until I rebooted the chromecast.

How how weird is that? I repeated the whole process: rebooted the chromecast, watched random youtube videos w/ no problem, then went to that one particular video, and it behaved the same way as in the above paragraph, and then every youtube vid I tried to play after that gave me the same error.

It's almost as thought this one video (which plays fine on youtube on my laptop) acts up on the chromecast and screws up the chromecast until it is rebooted. I can't say why this is happening, just that it is what my experience has been so far. I was ready to take my chromecast to Best Buy yesterday for an exchange, but it seems that if I avoid this one video, I'm fine (although I'm sure there are other videos that cause the same problem). FYI the vid that messes up my chromecast is this one: How do I post a link to a vid without it being displayed/embedded in the post? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZWtN6AkDXo
I can't explain it. It's just so odd! :eek:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon