Now that Chromecast works on Plex, how do you watch live TV?

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello :)

I do not have cable TV. I do not have satellite, etc... I was told that I could use Plex and Chromecast to watch TV. Now that Plex supports Chromecast, could someone please explain to me how to set it up so that I can watch TV (such as football... Super Bowl!!)

Thank you :)

playya

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I do not have cable TV. I do not have satellite, etc... I was told that I could use Plex and Chromecast to watch TV. Now that Plex supports Chromecast, could someone please explain to me how to set it up so that I can watch TV (such as football... Super Bowl!!)

You been lied too Plex is for media stored locally. If you want to watch TV get Hulu Plus or search the web for a Live TV streaming page

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The people you spoke might have skipped over the part where they "obtained" TV shows and stored them locally on their PC or NAS drive. "Arrrr matey!!"

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

This is OT for this forum, but if you live near a city with broadcast TV stations, look into getting an HD antenna; 1080p HD, free (after antenna purchase) and legal.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The people you spoke might have skipped over the part where they "obtained" TV shows and stored them locally on their PC or NAS drive. "Arrrr matey!!"

This is OT for this forum, but if you live near a city with broadcast TV stations, look into getting an HD antenna; 1080p HD, free (after antenna purchase) and legal.

I'm certainly not looking for something unlawful. I've thought about getting an external antenna, but I have a few strikes against me. I live 70+ miles from the closest MAJOR broadcast area and I also live in a valley. Most people around here either have cable or satellite. We cut it out to save some $$$.

Luckily, due to the valley, there's also mountains, and all the wireless carriers have towers all over the place. :)

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i also cut the cable cord long ago. the only regret i have is the difficulty in watching live sporting events. this year it hasn't been so bad, though. i'm a ny giants fan, and they suck and **** me off, so i would have been too frustrated to watch. so in a sense not being able to watch gave me some peace.:)

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My cable provider (Charter) just switched to requiring a box for each TV. My bill for TV and internet is now $180.00 a month for three TVs with only basic programming. I am going to get the antenna, cut the cord and get what I can via the internet and antenna. What that don't get the sports bar will!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Live TV via antenna is great. High quality HD signal. Put the antenna on a tall pole and do some research as to which direction your signal is coming from. Add a signal booster to the system.

Antenna + Chromecast. Who needs cable!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I work for the local cable company. What they won't tell you is the encoding we all use is generally lower quality then a good atsc ota broadcast. Just to much compression.

ATSC=up to 19mbps
Cable=up to 12mbps

If you are Ok with just the ota channels then cable is a waste. I hate to say it. But the mandate for digital broadcasting did this. You can easily put atsc tuner in the plex box and record your own shows. Depending on the software used to record you may or may not need to do work after to make them show in plex.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Albano Kofsha

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
no its true plex isn't only for local files its has some channels too but don't know if chrome cast supports live streaming (streaming directly live a sport match) but it works for tv shows and movies playing directly from the channel without downloading it. all you have to do is installing your preferred channels in plex and press play. sure you need to have a wireless internet connection.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
no its true plex isn't only for local files its has some channels too but don't know if chrome cast supports live streaming (streaming directly live a sport match) but it works for tv shows and movies playing directly from the channel without downloading it. all you have to do is installing your preferred channels in plex and press play. sure you need to have a wireless internet connection.

Bingo. While Plex works great with locally stored content, there are a lot of channels available as plugins. I can't get any live sports through it, but I can get a lot of movie & tv shows. Look for the Unsupported Appstore plugin for Plex for starters. That should keep you going for a good while.