Free program using AMD/Intel feature to quickly convert offline videos.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this thread is off topic or doesn't belong in Chromecast section. I have some videos that aren't in MP4 format so the Chromecast isn't compatible with them. You can use Plex server to transcode these videos on the fly to be compatible with Chromecast, but maybe some people don't want to pay for Plex or don't want to run a server.

I found the program A's Video Converter doing a solid job at transcoding videos to MP4. To use the fast transcoding feature, you need a desktop computer with either:
-AMD video card
-Intel Core "i" processor (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell).

It's much faster than normal to convert a video. The program can transcode in batch as well, so just add a bunch of videos and let it run overnight. It fail to convert a few of my videos, but work most of the time. Depending on how fast your video card or CPU is, I have an older midrange AMD video card and it only take 10minutes to transcode a full hour long video.

In the program, click on "Setting -> Transcode Settings". Make sure you select the "Encoder" option to be "AMD Encoder" or "Intel QSV Encoder". Select the video format as "H.264" and audio format as "AAC", this will ensure Chromecast compatibility.

After this you can play the video using Chrome desktop browser and cast the tab, or copy the video to an Android phone/tablet and use the Avia app to cast it (though it cost $3 to gain the casting feature).

If you have an nVidia video card, there are programs that utilize its CUDA feature to convert videos quickly, but most of them seems to cost money.

Below is the settings I use for standard definition videos. If you have an HD video, you might want to bump the 'target bitrate' up to 2048kbps or more.

Attachments

• avideoconverter.jpg
    avideoconverter.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Download ffmpeg, put the code below in a .bat file, along with the ffmpeg exe in the folder with all the MKV files you want to convert, and kick it off. End result is mp4 versions of everything in the folder with AAC audio. It takes about 1 min per 30 mins of video.

Code:
for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec aac -ab 384000 -sn -strict -2 "%%~na.mp4" 
pause