Chromecast Curiosity

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I picked up my Chromecast today, after running to a few stores to find it. I finally get home to set it up, and when I was downloading the app, I started to read some of the reviews.

A few people were complaining that they didn't know that you needed a wifi connection to stream media. It brought me to this question. Are there devices that do the same thing as Chromecast without the use of a wifi connection?

I'm loving my Chromecast right now.. Just curious.

Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well some devices like smart TVs bluray players etc have a regular lan port option. I bought my Chromecast the first day they were available. I love it!

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Well some devices like smart TVs bluray players etc have a regular lan port option. I bought my Chromecast the first day they were available. I love it!

Thanks. That's what I thought. I was only asking because of the complaints I was seeing on Google Play. I'm enjoying Breaking Bad right now. Haha

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Our TV, BD, and PVR are all "smart", and connect to the router via ethernet cable. None gets Netflix, nor Google Play, hence my getting CC to add to our existing line up.

In the streamer boxes, AFAIK, the Rokus, Apple TVs, WDs etc all connect via ethernet cable. None provides as elegant and simple a solution as CC.

Anyone buying one without realising it works over wi-fi is a few sausages short of a barby, IMHO.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Anyone buying one without realising it works over wi-fi is a few sausages short of a barby, IMHO.

Yeah I know. I'm guessing they thought the content would be pushed off of some sort of non-wifi connection.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
There is a lot if misunderstanding about how Chromecast works. Many people are under the misunderstanding that it streams from your tablet. It only does that with local content. Otherwise the tablet just acts as a remote control and the Chromecast is connecting to services like netflix directly. That's what is so cool. Start a movie then go ahead and do something else with the tablet with no strain in its resources. It is soooo easy to use too. I want one on every TV in the house.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. For upstairs TV we use tablets, but when they release it in the UK I'll get another for the kitchen telly.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep, we use our CC almost daily. Just ordered a second one for downstairs. It's so easy, my 2nd and 4th graders can even cast Netflix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084