Chromcast streaming HD content from Google Play

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Since I have a Chromecast I'm thinking about getting a movie or TV show on Google Play Movies. I have an HD TV, obviously, but my phone and tablet don't support HD playback. If I cast to my Chromecast from my non-HD phone or tablet and I have purchased the HD version of the movie, will the Chromecast stream the HD or SD version? For that matter, can I even start up the HD version on my non-HD phone to cast it? I don't have a computer in the same room as my Chromecast so I'd rather not have to do it from within Chrome. Any experiences?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
When you cast from within the app the stream goes from the cloud service to your TV and will automatically play according to what the TV is capable of regardless of the resolution of your phone.

Although I have not tried it, what should happen if you play an HD movie on a non-HD device is that the movie will play in SD on the phone display. But that will not stop it from playing in HD on your HDTV.

BTW, here's a link saying it will cast in HD from a lower res phone.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4352049?hl=en

Last edited:

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I assumed it would work that way but was looking for confirmation before I paid the extra money. I had looked on the Chromecast support page but I guess I used the wrong search terms and I didn't think to just read the page.

Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800