Chromecast: Can't connect to the Internet

monsterenergy22

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So I went to use my CC and all of the sudden it says it cant connect to the internet. It is successfully connected to my 2.4ghz wireless network as well. It has not taken the new OTA yet.

I have rebooted my router and done a factory reset on the CC as well.

Any other ideas?

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just wait. Really, just wait. Unless someone else has a better idea, in both cases where I had a Chromecast issue everything I tried failed until I gave up, and three days later it was working. Sounds silly but in all seriousness if no one else replies with a better idea then don't screw around with it. Wouldn't want to damage it accidentally. :)

monsterenergy22

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Just wait. Really, just wait. Unless someone else has a better idea, in both cases where I had a Chromecast issue everything I tried failed until I gave up, and three days later it was working. Sounds silly but in all seriousness if no one else replies with a better idea then don't screw around with it. Wouldn't want to damage it accidentally. :)

Mhmm, guess I will give it a few days and hope it resolves it self!

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
It might have something to do with the channel your modem/router is broadcasting on. I've found that Chromecast will not work with every channel. The channel on your modem might have been set on automatic. If so, it might have switched to a channel that Chromecast can't see. You might want to try changing channels to see which one works best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

monsterenergy22

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It might have something to do with the channel your modem/router is broadcasting on. I've found that Chromecast will not work with every channel. The channel on your modem might have been set on automatic. If so, it might have switched to a channel that Chromecast can't see. You might want to try changing channels to see which one works best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
Ran through all of the channels and still a no go. Still reporting no internet access.

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry that it's taking so long to get you connected! Have you tried setting your WiFi network to open? See if it can connect that way. You should also try changing the SSID to see if somehow it's stuck.

Chromecast requires a computer or phone to set up, why don't you try using a different device to set it up? Maybe it's not the router or the Chromecast.

monsterenergy22

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that it's taking so long to get you connected! Have you tried setting your WiFi network to open? See if it can connect that way. You should also try changing the SSID to see if somehow it's stuck.

Chromecast requires a computer or phone to set up, why don't you try using a different device to set it up? Maybe it's not the router or the Chromecast.
Thanks for the relpy.

I just tried setting my network to open and also changed the SSID. It will connect, but still says it cant access the internet.

Also tried on my phone and tablet, same problem.

Update: Flashed the official Asus 3.0.0.4.276 firmware which Google reports is working with the CC. Did a factory reset with it and still could not get connected to the internet. I think I have ruled out my network, got to be something in my apartment complex...

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
was the replacement Chromecast on the latest update? Could you take it to a friends house and set it up there just toget the update and see if that resolves any issues?

try an app like wi-fi analyzer to see what networks are broadcasing on what channels. this might help you troubleshoot any conflicts.

monsterenergy22

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
was the replacement Chromecast on the latest update? Could you take it to a friends house and set it up there just toget the update and see if that resolves any issues?

try an app like wi-fi analyzer to see what networks are broadcasing on what channels. this might help you troubleshoot any conflicts.
I noticed it doesn't have the latest update. I will give that a shot when I have some time. I also did my best to pick a wireless channel that was not conflicting.

Update:So I set up my phone as a hotspot and connected the CC to that just to verify it would connect. It did and updated to the latest version. So I connected it back to my main network, and it worked! I guess the update fixed something, but whatever it is, I am just happy it works again! Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Last edited: