Chrome browser crashes every time I try to add Chromecast extension

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This may or may not be Chromecast related. I am starting here because it's 4 a.m., I've had a long day, I'm at the end of my sanity and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Long story short, I had to do a refresh of my Windows 8 laptop, and I had to reinstall Chrome browser. The current version I have is Version 32.0.1700.107 m. It is running fine right now but previously this evening it was in an infinite crash/reload loop. The only way I could get past this was to go into incognito mode ASAP (before it crashed again) and disable ALL extensions.

When I try to re-add the Chromecast extension, I basically am revisiting the infinite crash/reload loop. Every time I say "add" I get insta-crash. I simply cannot add the extension. I don't know what to do. Before I had to do the Win8 refresh, everything was super-perfect. Now, it's not. It's really aggravating.

Any advice here?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a Windows 8.1/Chrome issue last week where some drive-by locked Chrome. I was able to kill the process, but it damaged all my shortcuts to the .exe file. Could not reinstall Chrome over itself and had to completely uninstall it, use CCleaner to remove all traces, reboot and then reinstall. I was happily surprised that Google not only backs up your bookmarks but also all your extensions. I would suggest a similar approach.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually I think I know what the problem was now. When I did the complete refresh, it was still on Windows 8.0 and I didn't do the free update to 8.1. Since I've updated to 8.1, no issues, and the Chromecast extension is in the browser. But, if I get them, I'm going to take your route and address them. But that is weird that it affected only one program like that.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Updated Windows updates, and same issue. Had to uninstall Chromecast extension. I had an official topic in the Google forums. They said the issue has been identified and is fixed in the beta, Canary, etc. channels. Next release of regular old Chrome will have the fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz