Phantom Chromecast

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I was playing around with the Chromecast app to look at a setting. I never go into the Chromecast app as I never need too anymore, as I have already setup my one (and only) Chromecast.
Anyway, I see on both the Android Chromecast app and the Windows app an extra Chromecast "waiting to be setup" along my already setup Chromecast. I did a full scan of my network, but I am only picking up my original Chromecast (verified by name and MAC address), and I even checked by router logs and active connections after logging into my router, but do not see this device on my network. I rebooted both my modem and router (as my firewall was going crazy after all these scans), and the Chromecast setup app is still seeing a 2nd Chromecast "waiting to be setup, I even did a factory reset on my Chromecast.
I ran another network scan--didn't show up, checked the logs and active connections after logging into my router after the factory reset and reboot, but I still only see my own Chromecast, but the Chromecast app is still seeing this 2nd Chromecast that someone already named with a custom name.
I see my Chromecast with the custom name I gave it "ready to cast" and this 2nd one above it in the Chromecast app "ready to setup".
Even though this does not show on my network and is not on my network per a scan and per my router, how can I be picking this up? Could someone who let's say is right next door to me (I live in an apt bldg in NYC, so think a lot of apartments crammed together :/) have a Chromecast he/she hasn't set up yet, and even though this isn't on my network (secured w/WPA2 and long password protected), my Chromecast app still is picking this up?

Thanks all.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you try uninstalling, then reinstalling the app to see if it's just 'stuck' in there?

I have given that a shot, but that didn't work.
I am now wondering if someone's Chromecast hadn't been setup, and my Chromecast app sees it broadcasting waiting to be setup on the first available network. I don't know why I did think off this, long day I guess, but I think someone plugged in their Chromecast out of the box, but left it waiting to be setup.

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have given that a shot, but that didn't work.
I am now wondering if someone's Chromecast hadn't been setup, and my Chromecast app sees it broadcasting waiting to be setup on the first available network. I don't know why I did think off this, long day I guess, but I think someone plugged in their Chromecast out of the box, but left it waiting to be setup.

It's possible. You should ask your neighbors if they have a Chromecast they don't want. :D

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You should run the set up then freak out your neighbors by randomly casting stuff to their TV.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's your neighbor's. If it is waiting to be set up then it means it is not on any network so it is broadcasting waiting for someone to connect it to their network. I have several neighbors with CCs in my building. As long as you are in range of the chromecast's wifi signal, you will see it whenever it is not actively connected to a network.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You should run the set up then freak out your neighbors by randomly casting stuff to their TV.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Only if you don't mind them doing the same to you. And you better be on really good terms with them if you don't want to cause yourself a heck of a lot of trouble.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Only if you don't mind them doing the same to you. And you better be on really good terms with them if you don't want to cause yourself a heck of a lot of trouble.

I don't know them. but I wouldn't do anything like that. I doubt they can see my Chromecast as it has already been setup on my network. Maybe they just plugged it in, and forgot about it, don't know why.
I ordered mine as soon as it was announced when they still had the three month free Netflix deal. I received mine from Amazon within 2 days, and set it up ASAP. :D