No 5.1 audio with Netflix on Chromecast

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have MY CC plugged into my a/v receiver and though it says a program is in 5.1 but it plays IN LPCM 48.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: No 5.1 Netflix on chromecast

How old is your reciever and can it decode Dolby digital plus.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Noble Falcon

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Hi -

I had the same problem. I have a Panasonic receiver w/ Panasonic TV (not sure if this makes a difference) and the remote for the receiver has a set of buttons controlling the surround features. I chose "movie" and it just kicked in. And, like others, I did this with Hunger Games because it's verified by others to be streamed as 5.1.

Good luck.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The key is the reciever has to support Dolby Digital plus. That isn't the same as Dolby Digital. If the reciever doesn't support it you will be stuck with stereo audio.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

My receiver is new enough and handles all the formats. I have no problem with 5.1 or even 7.1 from my dish and Blu-ray. Maybe it's the input I chose for the CC.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if my receiver (2011 Yamaha RX-V371) supports DD Plus or not. My CC is plugged in to the TV as my thinking was that for casual casting, Youtube, local stuff, I wouldn't want the amp on.

The TV (Samsung 46D5520) then connects to the amp via optical out, so I can output audio.

Even on what content Netflix list as HD and 5.1, I don't get DD, just a faux DPLII 5.1.

The amp can handle DTS/DD HD master audio from bd, and DD when broadcast here in the UK, so I'm guessing my amp can't fully resolve what NF is putting out.

Still happy though, both with my Chromecast and Netflix. Streaming I did get OK from Lovefilm but they've just transferred it to Amazon UK last week, who then promptly broke the app.

Much gnashing of teeth all round. Shaping up to be a right bollox up.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

My receiver is new enough and handles all the formats. I have no problem with 5.1 or even 7.1 from my dish and Blu-ray. Maybe it's the input I chose for the CC.

Dolby Digital plus is the newest standard that Dolby has released. Even newer then Dolby Digital True HD. It is very possible that your reciever doesn't support it. That has been found to be the problem allot

Not sure if my receiver (2011 Yamaha RX-V371) supports DD Plus or not. My CC is plugged in to the TV as my thinking was that for casual casting, Youtube, local stuff, I wouldn't want the amp on.

The TV (Samsung 46D5520) then connects to the amp via optical out, so I can output audio.

Even on what content Netflix list as HD and 5.1, I don't get DD, just a faux DPLII 5.1.

Ok, first I looked up your receiver and it does does support Dolby Digital Plus. I also looked up the TV can't couldn't find anything that was definitive. What I do know though is that you won't be able to send it over fiber back to the receiver. The old optical standard doesn't support enough bandwidth. You may be better served if you plug the CC into the receiver directly. I would suggest looking into pass-through on your receiver for those casual times you want to listen or watch something with out the receiver. Mine has the pass-through functionality and it works great.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Dolby Digital plus is the newest standard that Dolby has released. Even newer then Dolby Digital True HD. It is very possible that your reciever doesn't support it. That has been found to be the problem allot

Ok, first I looked up your receiver and it does does support Dolby Digital Plus. I also looked up the TV can't couldn't find anything that was definitive. What I do know though is that you won't be able to send it over fiber back to the receiver. The old optical standard doesn't support enough bandwidth. You may be better served if you plug the CC into the receiver directly. I would suggest looking into pass-through on your receiver for those casual times you want to listen or watch something with out the receiver. Mine has the pass-through functionality and it works great.

I think you've found the problem. The receiver doesn't have pass-through, so would need to be on. Neither do I think I could "view" set up with CC plugged into it.

And neither does the TV support ARC, so I can't send audio back to the amp via HDMI, only via the inadequate optical.

So there's the rub. The amp suits in all other respects, but doesn't have pass-through. The TV suits, but doesn't do ARC. So unless I change one, t'other, or both, I'm getting about the best I can for now.

Thank you for clarifying it for me.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

It's in the video 1 port of my receiver.

Well that port should have all the features. Could there be a setting limiting the hdmi version the port is operating at. Looks like it should work.

Make sure the AVR is on before you connect to the cc with your app. Pass-through could prevent 5.1 from working.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze