Android device mirroring coming to Chromecast

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Great! which one is better Googles stream stick or Roku? Roku give you a contoller, both need a powered USB, cable included on both, I have a older flat screen 50" not a smart screen Panasonic, are all flat screen USB powered for using either media stick player? looks like the Roku gives mor apps. in the stick. Do we need a smart screen TV? thanks

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How do I know if I have the updated GPS? And once I do, how do I go about casting the screen?

You can check the version number under play services app info.

Don't know for sure but with a miracast adapter there's an option under display in settings and you get a tile in the quick settings shade. I imagine it will work the same.

Posted via Android Central App

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
How do I know if I have the updated GPS? And once I do, how do I go about casting the screen?

It's the 5.0.x.x version. But don't bother trying to download it early because the casting will only work once it's whitelisted by Google. I already downloaded it just to make sure that it wasn't already whitelisted and it isn't as of the time I am writing this. Once whitelisted and Play Services updated, depending on your device, Casting will either be in the Quick Settings notifcations, or through your settings, or some devices that don't have those options will be able to do it through the chromecast app.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Great! which one is better Googles stream stick or Roku? Roku give you a contoller, both need a powered USB, cable included on both, I have a older flat screen 50" not a smart screen Panasonic, are all flat screen USB powered for using either media stick player? looks like the Roku gives mor apps. in the stick. Do we need a smart screen TV? thanks

You don't need a smart tv - that's part of the purpose of the chromecast. You just need an hdmi port and a place to plug it in for power. I don't have a roku to make a personal comparison. Chromecast has at least a few hundred apps that support it - I stopped counting after it got to 300. It also was noted at I/O that there are 10,000 apps in development. Of course all of those won't be completed but even if a fraction are it will end up being a lot.

I haven't looked recently at exactly what roku is offering these days so I don't have much to say about it. I know the roku stick when it first came out was 3-4 times the price of a CC and I don't know if that has changed. I am happy with my CC but I'm sure there are people happy with Roku too. Decide what you want to be able to do with it and look at what works best for you, including cost.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Unless you have a rooted CC you need to wait for the feature to be whitelisted by google. Will be soon.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
updated today and on 1.5.5

So this will allow playing movies using any movieplayer app and then casting it to my TV ?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The rollout will happen over a few days as usual so just be patient a bit longer if you don't have it already. The newer nexus devices can cast right from the cast quick setting and don't need the chromecast app.

rht34

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The rollout will happen over a few days as usual so just be patient a bit longer if you don't have it already. The newer nexus devices can cast right from the cast quick setting and don't need the chromecast app.

Just to confirm the nexus 4 also can cast right from the cast quick setting and don't need the Chromecast app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

beanboy89

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Got the update today on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 (the latter running Android L). The screen mirroring is still a bit buggy at the moment. Streaming video lags terribly, but I'm not surprised. On my Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4, when I do a two-finger slide down on the notification bar to load quick settings, the settings pane flashes and then loads the tile for Cast Screen. Very annoying. The bigger issue seems to be on the Nexus 7 running Android L: when connected to the Chromecast in mirroring mode, when the screen goes to sleep on the Nexus 7, and you wake it up, the tablet keeps cycling between landscape and portrait mode and you can't stop it until you cast something else to the Chromecast from another device. Also, for whatever reason this behavior seems to reset the wallpaper back the the default Android L wallpaper image.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante