Android device mirroring coming to Chromecast

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to mirror the screen from my N7 for the last hour. If I try to mirror from quick settings, I get a "Connection to Chromecast has failed" message. If I try from the chromecast app, it instantly disconnects.

Screen mirroring is the only reason I wanted this, why they just didn't go with mirroring from the start is beyond me. Why make each app try to be compatible when screen mirroring would take care of all of them? Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. I have a 2013 N7, I've tried rebooting the N7, chromecast, and even my router and still nothing.

So what gives? Am I missing something here? For some reason I cannot use the Cast Screen feature even though I apparently have all the components necessary for it to work. The stupid part is I could mirror my screen (much easier I might add) with my GS3 using DLNA. So far my Chromecast is $35 I could've spent on something better. It just seems ridiculous that something like screen mirroring is so hard to accomplish.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Screen mirroring is a nice feature for sure. But the real beauty of Chromecast is it doesnt tie up your device while watching a video on the t v. When watvhing Netflix, Youtube, etc. The stream goes directly from your router to your Chromecast. Bypassing your tablet all together. This allows you to do other things with the tablet while watching your movie. When mirroring both the tv and tablet are tied up on the same image.

I dont need to worry about mirroring however because I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 that is still stuck on 4.1.2 and my Dell venue 8 running 4.4.2 does not seem to have the mirroring feature yet.

Sent from my GT-N8013

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The only problem is, I'm not going to be doing something else while using mirroring. I guess I don't see the point of having something running on the screen while my attention is focused on something on my device.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well thats fine but that is really the point of Chromecast. It works best just streaming directly from the internet. Not having to be received by your tablet then broadcast back out to the Chromecast. That has got to slow it down. Personally I browse on my tablet allthe time while watching tv.

Sent from my GT-N8013

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The only problem is, I'm not going to be doing something else while using mirroring. I guess I don't see the point of having something running on the screen while my attention is focused on something on my device.

I agree! If anything it's a little gimmicky.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm just happy I can now share pics I take of my son on the big screen, without using some laggy third party app.

Posted via Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
yeah I can see your point. it is, I guess a little cool to be able to see your stuff on a bigger screen. really nothing that great though. my son loves it though!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree! If anything it's a little gimmicky.

So many people apparently use the world differently than I do.

You guys really don't see the value of being able to add videos to a YouTube queue? Or look someone up on IMDb while streaming from Netflix?

Some people may despair the "lack of attention span" but I think the majority of people multitask these days. especially the young.

Posted via Android Central App

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

A quick example of usefulness [that may not apply to you] is :A parent could start streaming DORA, Pokemon or Minecraft youtube videos for their kids and then continue to use their device while the children watch the show.

also plenty of people now tend to multitask while watching TV [really more listening ;) ] checking emails, FB, etc.

Scott99

May 27, 2010
Visit site
This mirroring feature is why I got the Chromecast in the first place. And I love that feature. Have a few issues with sound not working sometimes, but overall it's a cool feature. I also have a Roku 2, which JUST added Youtube, which I used a lot when I first got my Chromecast. Now I'll be using Youtube on my Roku, since it seems more stable than the Chromecast when streaming Youtube. BUT, I'll be using the tablet mirroring quite often. For an example, I'm a hockey nut, love the NY Islanders, and they were streaming a rookie scrimmage game on their app, I was able to mirror it and watch it on my 46" Samsung TV ! Technology is amazing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome