Chromecast Google Play Music 1 hour Timeout?!?

cb9501

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It seems that google has put a timeout on chrome casting from google play music all access to the chromecast. If I tabcast from my pc in the chrome browser, after an hour it stops playing. On the web player it appears to pause and play rapidly and skip a song between each pause/play. Eventually it stops, and provides an error message to the effect of, "can't reach google play, try refreshing the browser". If I refresh my browser it will resume chromecasting and work for another hour. I'm currently testing to see if it times out after an hour when chromecasting on my phone. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

cb9501

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It's even worse when chromecasting from my phone. It times out after about an hour, then the only way I could get it to start again was going to youtube and started casting a video, then went back to the play music app. I think I even swipe closed the play music app from the recent apps menu, and still couldn't resume playing music. I even tried plugging my old galaxy tablet in with a wire to my stereo system, and it times out too. So it sounds like an issue with google play or my network. It seemed to be less than an hour before it would quit on my tablet, but I'm not sure, because I didn't notice right away the couple of times I tested it.

cb9501

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Called Google for tech support. I had no idea that they had US tech support! I didn't think they had tech support at all. He verified that this isn't expected behavior as Cant Miss previously stated. He was able to verify that everything looked good on as far as my account. I'm still troubleshooting, since it takes an hour to test every time I try something. I'll post back if I get anwhere, but it looks like it's related to my home network.

cb9501

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Today I did much testing with different devices chromecast or not, phone, tablet, pc, on wifi and on cellular, setting up a new trial account, and had the same disconnecting in all cases. I listened to songza (owned by google) and had the same timeout/disconnecting issue and last I listened to rdio and have streamed for 5 hours straight with no interruptions.
I called google back and this time they told me that it's recently acknowledged known issue, and they are working to resolve it on their end. I wish i would've gotten that info the first time I called, but I'm ok with it and just happy to get 24 hour US tech support. I understand that they have troubleshoot every issue so they don't end up with someone waiting for a problem to get fixed by google if it's a problem with the hardware, network, operator error, etc. So if you're having the issue with google play music all access dropping connection randomly, or automatically pausing itself after 5 seconds, it may be the same problem.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is able to stream music without any intervention (skipping, browsing, etc.) for longer than 1.5 hours. I would think it would be all over the forums if it was a global problem, but the tech support agent I talked to said it's happening to him too.

Hernando Nieto

May 9, 2015
Visit site
i am having similar issue, but its an issue i hadnt had. not sure what update occurred in my computer this week, but i cant stream music online. works fine from my phone. its not the particular album because i have tried previously listened music and that wont play either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech