So I've had my 3 Chromecasts set up for awhile. Anyway, I've noticed a few times that I have wifi networks named after my Chromecasts. For instance, I have one named Parent's room. Last night I had a wifi network named Parent's room. Anyone know why this is? The wifi network is gone now, but this has happened in the past a number of times.
    09-30-2015 06:49 PM
    I've seen that as well. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's usually associated with some difficulty connecting any device to my home network. So I'm not sure if it's a problem with my home network periodically dropping out, or the Chromecast causing some instability.
    09-30-2015 11:35 PM
    I wonder if buying a few of the new Chromecasts would fix it?
    10-01-2015 08:44 AM
    That happens when your Chromecast loses connection to the WiFi so you can use your phone and take over and set it back up.

Make sure WiFi signal is strong in that room, maybe reboot your router as well. You can use apps like WiFi analyzer to see if the channel your WiFi is on is clogged and consider changing channels if there is a less clogged channel.
    10-01-2015 02:36 PM
    My router and modem is far from being in a central location of my house. The location of one of the tvs is not as close as the other two. Mine is in the same room and the other is in the next room. I have router set on auto for channel.
    10-01-2015 03:21 PM
    If your router has antenna move them around. Having the side of the antenna face the room you need help in helps.

And auto channel isn't great on all routers, trusting that function is suspect on the most popular routers in my experience.
    10-01-2015 06:17 PM
    My router has 3 antennas. I have the middle one straight up and the other 2 at 45° angles from the middle one. Any channel you'd recommend?
    10-01-2015 08:46 PM
    That's a bad configuration. Look here, the second set of diagrams should give you an idea of how they broadcast. Shape them so they cover your home best and point at the areas that struggle the most.

http://www.countrymilewifi.com/simpl...reception.aspx

And use the WiFi analyzer and see which channel isn't being used. Or has the lowest usage.
    10-01-2015 09:50 PM
    Ok. Thanks! Will that channel keep changing or if I change it I should be good?

Also, those diagrams show to put them vertical. So, should I point them towards the room that has trouble, which still might be 45°, or all 3 straight up like it shows?

And one more thing. Wifi Analyzer shows 14 channels. But my router only shows 11. Am I missing something? This was a pretty expensive router.
    10-01-2015 10:55 PM
    1) Check it every couple of months. The folks around you won't move or change the channel they're using more often than that most likely.

2) face the side of the antenna where you want the signal to go. Those diagrams assume you live in a one story home. Mine is there so one is straight up and down and two are flat at 90 degrees to each other to give me the most coverage with one side pointed directly at our bedroom.

3) That's common with many routers. Only some use all the channels. Often you have to pay a lot more to get that.

4) Chromecast doesn't use 5ghz band with the older models so if your router has a 5ghz band putting all the other devices on it may help buffering/speed. Though it wrong help the disconnecting because that's signal strength.

5) Consider relocating the router if you can, most can't.

6) consider a higher performing router.
    10-02-2015 05:54 AM
    Unfortunately I can't move the router because of where I have the modem and where the cabling is located. My Directv genie is in there as well and is hooked up to it. Btw, my router is RT-AC68W.
    10-02-2015 09:48 AM