I put a chromecast on my TV but am having a tough time getting quality video.

My desktop (i5) seems to do best, but if I start using the computer while casting a chrome tab playing the weather channel live feed it starts to get choppy. I also notice 30-50% util just casting. If I try and use the computer it goes to 100%.

I tried my dell laptop (allbeit a cheap celron based) and it was just a choppy mess. I tried my daughters samsung tab 4 tablet, again, choppy and jerky.

Do you basically have to put a monster CPU on this thing just to get it to cast with any quality and reliability? Marginalizes the product quite a bit. Can't use it I have to dedicate a computer just to cast.

Ideas...
    10-13-2015 04:58 PM
    I put a chromecast on my TV but am having a tough time getting quality video.

My desktop (i5) seems to do best, but if I start using the computer while casting a chrome tab playing the weather channel live feed it starts to get choppy. I also notice 30-50% util just casting. If I try and use the computer it goes to 100%.

I tried my dell laptop (allbeit a cheap celron based) and it was just a choppy mess. I tried my daughters samsung tab 4 tablet, again, choppy and jerky.

Do you basically have to put a monster CPU on this thing just to get it to cast with any quality and reliability? Marginalizes the product quite a bit. Can't use it I have to dedicate a computer just to cast.

Ideas...
    It sounds like you're trying to stream local media to your Chromecast (files on your computer) this works well for images and even audio files but it can bog down even a powerful computer when it comes to high resolution video files. Although casting local video files is something a chromecast can do (not sure if that feature is out of beta) it's not really what the device is marketed for. When you're watching video from an Internet service i.e. Netflix or Hulu the video processing is happening downstream. The way around it would be to use a media server like Plex for your local files.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    10-13-2015 05:39 PM
    No, actually, I'm trying to cast a flashplayer video in a chrome browser tab. I will say that most of these devices, (low powered dell laptop (2014 version) and the Samsung galaxy tab 4 have a hard enough time just streaming this video itself much less casting it. But the i5 windows pc? I guess casting is for high powered devices that won't be used for anything else while casting.

It's pretty amazing that these companies are selling hardware that can't keep up with what is on the web today. I was really disappointed with the Dell laptop. It reminded me of the first atom ultrabook I bought. Good thing about the dell is that it was free.

Truth be known, chromecast is allowing me to put something on my TV that my cable company took away because they feel that no-one needs it, that they get this information on their portable devices. That's disappointing in itself, so I'm just happy that I can cast this content at all.

I'm going to give ATV a try as I have a few ipads that should be able to airplay this content from the native ipad app. That might work a bit better and sure would be easier. The chromecast was only 28 bucks so I'm not entirely destroyed by that.

Roveer
    10-13-2015 07:15 PM
    The simplest solution is to plug the video output of the laptop or a phone directly into the TV.

As zzz73 said, chromecast can stream direct from the internet, or display what's on the PC screen. But you're asking the PC to stream in video, decode and display, then re-process what's on the screen, then stream it out again to Chromecast all at the same time.

That said, you might get it to work if you can iron out the bottlenecks like stream in over Ethernet and not try to do it all over WiFi.
    10-14-2015 02:25 AM