HTC 10 Can't find Chromecast

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
My HTC 10 (running Nougat 7.0, T-Mobile) can't find my Chromecast using either the Google Home app or the HTC Connect app. Strangely enough, if I open an app that is cast enabled (such as YouTube), I can press the cast icon and it casts.

I was hoping to use my phone to do a demo by casting the whole screen, and not just a single app. Any idea why my phone can't find the Chromecast?

So far I've done a factory reset on my Chromecast and restarted my phone, with neither having an effect.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
My HTC 10 (running Nougat 7.0, T-Mobile) can't find my Chromecast using either the Google Home app or the HTC Connect app. Strangely enough, if I open an app that is cast enabled (such as YouTube), I can press the cast icon and it casts.
OK so that's a real twist. The Youtube app can detect your Chromecast but the Google Home app doesn't. Try going into your HTC's Settings >> Application manager, find the Google Home app, tap the 'Force stop' button, then the 'Clear cache' button. Now start up the Google Home app and see if it's linking to your Chromecast properly.

If that doesn't make any difference, reboot your router. Both your HTC and your Chromecast need to be on the same local network to see each other, there could just a minor networking glitch that created the problem.

If rebooting your router didn't help either, install this 'Fing' app on your HTC.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.overlook.android.fing&hl=en&token=A6e0ZZ9v
Run a basic scan on your home network. Any devices connected to your LAN should be showing, so your HTC and your Chromecast should be listed. Hopefully yes??? If no, what IP addresses are assigned to your phone and your Chromecast?

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I have cleared my cache and will give it another try. If that doesn't work, I may be out of luck on rebooting the router as it's the wifi at the office and I don't know if I'll be able to convince people to do that. It's a small company so they might go for it.

It's mostly for a demo, and I've found an app that will work for what I want to do.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
...I may be out of luck on rebooting the router as it's the wifi at the office and I don't know if I'll be able to convince people to do that. It's a small company so they might go for it.

Ahhh, it's a small office location and not at home. That does add a layer of issues. Is someone there responsible for basic IT management? Do you have any kind of content filtering and/or firewall implementation on the network? Who did the initial pairing of your Chromecast to your WiFi network?

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
We have two individuals that are primarily responsible for the IT stuff. I mentioned it to one of them yesterday and he didn't seem to think rebooting the router would solve the issues but seemed open to it as long as we do it after hours.

I was the one who added my Chromecast to the network as I do have the password. It's bizarre that I could find it to add it and then couldn't find it after the fact.

The long and short of it, though, is I found a way to project my screen for a demo which is what I really wanted to do, so I'm past the point of needing to get it to work. Until the next time, of course. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech