Chrome cast disconnects from VLC media player

andie2903

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
When watching a tv show cast from VLC media player on my phone, the cast keeps randomly disconnecting and the cast icon disappears. I’ve tried adding the extender cable as suggested in some forums and I found a forum post that suggested changing the name of the connection to bring back the cast button, which does work most of the time, but not all of the time. The weird thing is it doesn’t disconnect from Netflix, I can watch hour after hour without any problems. Does anyone have a solution for the vlc media player issue?

Last edited:

ktjensen

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Watching for a solution. No guesses at this point. Suspect the router-WiFi connection goes to sleep after it buffers a good section of the movie, then disconnects. Pure speculation.

andie2903

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I was able to cast from vlc media player for much longer periods last week. . . But maybe someone else was watching Netflix in another room and keeping the router awake? But the week before I couldn’t get the cast icon to appear at all on my vlc media player, so I was thinking that as the ability to cast from vlc only came out in the latest update that perhaps it was just the glitchy first release?

ktjensen

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
I was able to cast from vlc media player for much longer periods last week. . . But maybe someone else was watching Netflix in another room and keeping the router awake? But the week before I couldn’t get the cast icon to appear at all on my vlc media player, so I was thinking that as the ability to cast from vlc only came out in the latest update that perhaps it was just the glitchy first release?

Maybe. Try your HOME app for Chromecast to see if it can see the device. If it knows it’s there then VLC should see it also.

andie2903

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Yep the device is definitely there and last night I tried it out while some one else was watching Netflix and it still dropped off after a couple of minutes so I don’t think it’s the router going to sleep. I’m suspecting vlc itself?

viragored

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Is this one of those things that happens when the phone uses battery optimisation and shuts down background things? If you haven't done it already, try turning off battery optimisation for VLC - assuming your phone has turned optimisation on by default.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you use the Home app and cast the phone to the TV, any app should be cast - that's the whole idea in the Home app.

ktjensen

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Yep the device is definitely there and last night I tried it out while some one else was watching Netflix and it still dropped off after a couple of minutes so I don’t think it’s the router going to sleep. I’m suspecting vlc itself?

I need to leave my iPhone active and turned on for the HOTSPOT mode to work. Try checking if you just need to disable iPhone lock and screensaver functions.

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Is this one of those things that happens when the phone uses battery optimisation and shuts down background things? If you haven't done it already, try turning off battery optimisation for VLC - assuming your phone has turned optimisation on by default.

Don't know how quick I can get an answer but here goes....I am using the latest VLC player and the most up to date Google Chromecast version. I have verified the battery setting are turned off on a Galaxy Tab A. I am trying to cast an endless loop of a MP4 for a video presentation. I am getting various time outs, ranging from 7 minutes to 56 minutes. This is a minute and a half video {mp4} that I want to go for about 8 hours. What am I missing? it loops for a bit and then stops. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc