What do you think of Duo?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if I'll ever use it, since I never use video calling. Whenever I've used apps that have a video calling feature, I turn off my FFC anyway.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of working with lower connection speeds. Probably with developing countries in mind, but not everywhere in the US has the most blazing fast internet either.

I'm just curious where this leaves Hangouts though.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Personally, even though I don't use video calling much, I find it to be much better than Facetime. I really like the preview of whom is trying to reach you prior to answering the call. Now, if they could only implement this in Android Wear 2.0... That would be awesome.

J

koves

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I think it looks interesting and will probably use it when it's finally available.

Posted via the Android Central App

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Skype under Micro$loth has at best stagnated and at worst has become a way to spam their other apps/services. Facebook apps are resource hogs I want no part of.

Posted via nexus 6p project FI

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I think Google is taking far to long to release duo and allo. Why announce it if it's going to take them so long to release it?

kirbwrx

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Used it twice today and love the video quality and connection over hangouts. Calling family on hangouts I would struggle to hear them sometimes but zero issues so far with Duo.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Very nice app. I have zero complaints. It does what it was designed to do with no issues just like FaceTime worked when I was a wee little iPhone user a few years back.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm a heavy Hangouts (ang gtalk) user, and I fear what will happen to my favorite IM program. Allo/Duo should have some form of Hangouts integration or something. The things I can't live without from Hangouts:

Desktop client
Being able to use it on multiple devices with only one account, including devices without cellular connectivity like wifi only tablets
Group video chat
Group text chat

Until Duo/Allo have all those (and it seems it goes against the goal of having bloody simple apps that only do one thing and do it well) or there's an ecosystem of apps that handle these use cases, I'm not switching

dlaluan

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Been using it with the wifey since it was released. The 1 feature I love the most is that if the video connection gets choppy, it does not take away from the clarity of the voice call. I can totally see where the audio-only capability can occur. The voice and video have somehow been split so they don't interfere with each other.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Been using it with the wifey since it was released. The 1 feature I love the most is that if the video connection gets choppy, it does not take away from the clarity of the voice call. I can totally see where the audio-only capability can occur. The voice and video have somehow been split so they don't interfere with each other.
That's awesome. That's a huge annoyance when I use hangouts video calls for work.

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
My wife was kind enough to install, so we've been trying a few times. I like the simplicity of it in order to start a call, and the knock-knock feature is actually enjoyable.

So far I haven't found the need (nor want) to go back to hangouts for a video call (even though we use it for chat), but the fact that Duo is mobile only is a bit annoying.

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
That's a downer, hearing that it doesn't work on wifi-only tablets. I usually just grab whichever device is closest to me when a hangouts call comes through, so it will be annoying to have to always use my phone. I'll still use it, but I'll have to keep hangouts too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois