What do you think of Duo?

anon(9410778)

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
So I used it once the day it became available. I liked it. It fit my needs as a very simple no frills video chat. Then my other half went out of town and I tried it again. For me, it was great. Much better quality than we had on hangouts. No pixelation, and maybe a stutter or two that I noticed. Overall I liked it and my other half made mention on how great the quality was without me mentioning it.

I would mention that she was on public wifi, but a quality service should work on any modern network, duo did just that. I'm impressed.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have to say i'm impressed with Google duo. It's simple, the knock knock feature I thought was a gimmick, turned out to be a nice little feature. The quality is much better even in low bandwidth situations.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it sucks. The video quality is pure **** on 4G amazingly, and 90% of the time I get no audio at all when I try to use it with my wife on her iPhone. We tried yesterday 5 times to look at a house we just bought in Florida and the video quality was so pixelated, even with her on 4G and me on wifi, and we got no audio. At all. I might delete it. Allo is pretty cool, but Duo sucks.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Do not like Duo.
Keep deleting it from my Pixel 3. Removing the account.
It keeps reinstalling itself.
Its a constant battle.
It makes me not like it as bad as Bixby did.
And here I spend a lot of good money to buy a phone that you could remove things that you didn't like.
Might start looking harder at a Chinese phone.
See what they have to offer.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of working with lower connection speeds. Probably with developing countries in mind, but not everywhere in the US has the most blazing fast internet either.

I'm just curious where this leaves Hangouts though.
since I use video calling via Hangouts more often with my family, I tried using Google Duo a little bit more so today, and what I saw and I noticed is that when you are on a slower network speed, duo Well actually still keep the video going but just the great the video. And it's actually telling you what it's doing while it's doing it. It's actually a nice kind of a feature. However, I will admit though that I use Hangouts with my family constantly for a group video calls, just one-on-one video calls.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
since I use video calling via Hangouts more often with my family, I tried using Google Duo a little bit more so today, and what I saw and I noticed is that when you are on a slower network speed, duo Well actually still keep the video going but just the great the video. And it's actually telling you what it's doing while it's doing it. It's actually a nice kind of a feature. However, I will admit though that I use Hangouts with my family constantly for a group video calls, just one-on-one video calls.
I like Google duo

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha, don't use hangout for calls.
Yeah, basically my dad doesn't have a regular postpaid cell account he has a prepaid T-Mobile account. So for him, I use Google Hangouts for instant messaging with him and for video. So I use Hangouts for video with most of my family for that reason as well. It's just more efficient. However, with my mom this morning, I did use Duo and it worked out pretty well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, basically my dad doesn't have a regular postpaid cell account he has a prepaid T-Mobile account. So for him, I use Google Hangouts for instant messaging with him and for video. So I use Hangouts for video with most of my family for that reason as well. It's just more efficient. However, with my mom this morning, I did use Duo and it worked out pretty well.
Nice

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You know the only weird thing about Duo is that for picture and picture mode it's cool that you can minimize the video screen of Duo and do something else on your phone, but how do you see your own viewfinder with picture and picture mode when duoing with someone else? The only way to do it correctly is to split screen mode it. Does that make sense? I mean if Google could redesign the picture and picture mode UI of duo to include the viewfinder for yourself that picture and picture mode view would be much better if you asked me!