Google Glass and Social Acceptance

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I saw a great comment by Henrik Nordberg on Google+, in the Glass Explorers group. Here's his comment:

Face it: Glass is a step in the direction of augmentation of the human body. I will use it to augment my memory, vision, and other senses (let's add an IR camera so we can see in the IR spectrum!). Eventually these things will become so miniaturized that you will not know someone is wearing them. With this in mind it is clear that we need to have a discussion of what is socially acceptable. The technology will exist. There's no point in hiding it or from it.

I certainly don't think it will be easy. I've seen social disapproval of Google Now because it scans certain parts of your Google services for usable data (mainly your Gmail). I'm trying to get my hands on Glass as soon as possible, but I think it'll be a while before the public is accepting of such devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I saw a great comment by Henrik Nordberg on Google+, in the Glass Explorers group. Here's his comment:

I certainly don't think it will be easy. I've seen social disapproval of Google Now because it scans certain parts of your Google services for usable data (mainly your Gmail). I'm trying to get my hands on Glass as soon as possible, but I think it'll be a while before the public is accepting of such devices.

I think it'll go faster than you think. People are already acclimated to Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. having access to everything you've ever done and making it public (as long as they give you privacy options to control it). It'll be weird at first until it becomes either convenient or useful, then mass adoption will ensue.

I think of it as the next iteration of smartphone tech... slow adoption amongst mainly power users and enterprise until blackberry took off, dam started cracking, iPhone and Android came along 2008-2010 and by the end of 2011 the # of people you know without smartphones is less than those that do have them.

Since we're already in the tech game on a massive level (people carrying tiny personal computing devices everywhere), this is just a logical next step, assuming practical execution ensues within a reasonable time period. Films like Transcendent Man indicate technological evolution will merge with human evolution in the form of cybernetic or bionic enhancement by 2040. I disagree with the date because of the monetary incentive for content and data providers to delay it and maintain their oligopolistic control over our interaction with the cyber world... but eventually that will break as technology becomes ubiquitous and as more of the world begins to see access to information as a human right, not to be controlled by corporations.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it'll go faster than you think. People are already acclimated to Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. having access to everything you've ever done and making it public (as long as they give you privacy options to control it). It'll be weird at first until it becomes either convenient or useful, then mass adoption will ensue.

I think of it as the next iteration of smartphone tech... slow adoption amongst mainly power users and enterprise until blackberry took off, dam started cracking, iPhone and Android came along 2008-2010 and by the end of 2011 the # of people you know without smartphones is less than those that do have them.

Since we're already in the tech game on a massive level (people carrying tiny personal computing devices everywhere), this is just a logical next step, assuming practical execution ensues within a reasonable time period.

I agree about social recognition and acknowledgement, but acceptance is a different matter. I think comparing Glass to existing accessories or tech in any manner isn't quite accurate, because a lot of the uncertainty with Glass comes from not knowing if it's recording or not, for example. I think Glass as a concept will catch on quickly, but I think that social acceptance in the non-tech circle will take a bit more time. It's the logical next step, yes, but I think it's a step that not everyone is in the mindset for.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree about social recognition and acknowledgement, but acceptance is a different matter. I think comparing Glass to existing accessories or tech in any manner isn't quite accurate, because a lot of the uncertainty with Glass comes from not knowing if it's recording or not, for example. I think Glass as a concept will catch on quickly, but I think that social acceptance in the non-tech circle will take a bit more time. It's the logical next step, yes, but I think it's a step that not everyone is in the mindset for.

Screw those people, I'm ready :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Screw those people, I'm ready :)

As am I. I want to write software for it to use Glass as a driver-perspective dashcam while driving, where the footage is erased when done driving unless you opt to save it for any reason. It'd be a fantastic use for the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1