I ordered the new Google Home Hub (with display) which will be in a shared space in my kitchen.

It seems to me the new device is primed for use by all occupants of the house and it no longer makes sense to tie my personal Google user ID to it -- complete with links to my email, calendar, photos etc. Not having yet seen or used the hub yet, I have to ask if it makes more sense to make and use a new "house" user ID???

On the other hand, with a new ID, I may no longer be able to launch ad-free YouTube videos since that service is associated with my personal ID which would annoy the hell out of me. Ugh.

Perhaps I could just use my personal ID and lock it down with administrative controls?

Anyone have administrative experience yet with this device?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Joseph W. Szarmach Jr.
    10-22-2018 12:16 PM
    Google Home doesn't associate your personal account with your searches and whatnot unless it recognizes your voice. It isn't supposed to show your wife your calendar, etc. If she talks to it, it'd show her the stuff that's hers. It does that through Voice Match.
    10-22-2018 12:31 PM
    Am thinking the same thing for the kitchen hub. Mine is delivered tomorrow so I don't have long to think. You do get 6 months of youtube premium with each hub. I am getting 2 so may register the kitchen one to my child and let them have the premium on that and register my own on my ID
    10-22-2018 12:31 PM
    Google Home doesn't associate your personal account with your searches and whatnot unless it recognizes your voice. It isn't supposed to show your wife your calendar, etc. If she talks to it, it'd show her the stuff that's hers. It does that through Voice Match.
    So if guest asks it to play a YouTube video, what user ID will it play it under? Has to have some default. Or let's say they use the screen to open something, such as a calendar? Or web page?

The location (kitchen) and the screen makes it more likely to be considered and used as a multi-user device. I know there is a way for the old Google Home devices to be configured for different voices and therefore different userIDs. The display allows for direct access.

Guess I will see when it arrives.
    10-22-2018 12:40 PM
    Assuming you have mutli-users set up, it uses a generic account unless it recognizes your voice. You can also turn off personalized results entirely from the Google Home app, which makes it use generic results for anything, but that precludes you getting your calendar info, etc.
    10-22-2018 12:54 PM
    Assuming you have mutli-users set up, it uses a generic account unless it recognizes your voice. You can also turn off personalized results entirely from the Google Home app, which makes it use generic results for anything, but that precludes you getting your calendar info, etc.
    If I start a video from YouTube on the TV, what account will it use?
    10-22-2018 04:03 PM
    Probably the one linked to your voice. It does it on voice match.
    10-27-2018 09:25 AM