Two Homes

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Can you put two different homes on the hub? I live in a multi family home. They have their devices and I have my own. Would there need be 2 separate hubs?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you put two different homes on the hub? I live in a multi family home. They have their devices and I have my own. Would there need be 2 separate hubs?

I am not sure I understand your question. You can add multiple people to one hub and then it uses voice recognition to determine whose account to pull data from. Can you expand on your question a bit?

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
They have a home set up for their devices and I have a home for mine. A home name that is; within the Google home app. How will the two separate homes work on one hub?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
They have a home set up for their devices and I have a home for mine. A home name that is; within the Google home app. How will the two separate homes work on one hub?

So, let me get this straight, you are saying that you have one Home device and they have a separate Home device. So two pieces of hardware.

Is your Home device set up on your Home app and their Home device on their Home app? Currently, the two of you are completely separate?

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
They have a couple of minis, a chromecast, and a roku. I have lights, mini and chromecast. If that is important. The point is they are separate accounts. They use theirs with the home app and have given their home a name. I use the home app for mine and it also has a unique home name. Is it possible to add these accounts and devices to the hub without placing me on their devices and vice versa?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to add these accounts and devices to the hub without placing me on their devices and vice versa?

Now I get it! :) You want to know if you can use the Home Hub as a shared device that both of you use with all of your respective lights and chromecasts. You want to use it as a hub, literally.

I typed a whole answer than I just deleted it. I should make this one point that might answer all your questions. I think the name "Hub" is misleading because it sounds like what you are asking to do. The Google Home Hub is just another device in the series. So, you have the Google Home, the Google Home Mini, and the Google Home Hub. They will all exist in your account the same way. The big difference is that the Hub is going to have some additional settings because it has a screen. I didn't notice any difference in the actual, initial set-up of my Hub. Exactly the same process as a Home or Home Mini EXCEPT there were some additional steps because it had a screen.

The Google Home devices are designed to have multiple users (I think six). Each user can connect to it using their own Google Home app. Any devices that are associated with the account will become shared. As far as I can tell, I can't, for example, lock my husband out of controllling my office lights. I just checked his phone and it shows everything in our house, including the Home Hub I added two weeks ago.

That sounds like it's something you don't want to do with your house-mates. If you are seeking to keep your other devices from becoming accessible, it won't work. If you don't mind, you can probably have someone take control of everything, then everyone else becomes a user.

This is my understanding. Maybe someone else will chime in with a solution that I'm not aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv