Home Hub/Amazon Alexa & Smart Lights

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I have numerous Alexas that I use for a few smart lights and sockets. I just got a Google Home Hub and would like to have it control the lights and switches also. Without losing the Alexa is it possible to have Google control all the lights and switches also? I guess what I am trying to say is can you have both Amazon Alexa and the Google home hub operate the same smart lights and switches? Thanks in advance. CC

Last edited by a moderator:

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
yes you can. I do, I have four echos and three google homes currently in use. I mainly use the echos and use google as a backup and troubleshooter. unless the lights bulbs and plugs are amazon brand, you should have absolutely no problems using both. when you get them set up, introduce google to alexa.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The answer, in reality, is: IT DEPENDS. If all your current lights/switches support both Alexa/Google Assistant (most reputable brands do), then yes, you can link them to all and any supported service. However, some brands only support Alexa (or Siri); if that's the case, you'd have to resort to some trickery like IFTTT triggers to get your Google Home device basically transfer the action to Alexa and then have that action the lights/switches (with the obvious delay this entails, which by then kinda makes it more of a nuisance to use than just grabbing your phone and firing up Alexa there).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac