Delay actions with household routines??

JordanMichels

Jan 30, 2023
Visit site
I want to create a routine to turn an outlet off after a specific time duration (time out) following turning a switch on. Apparently, the delay function has been taken out of Google Home for Household Routines. The routine can turn the outlet on (or off) when I turn the switch on but cannot trigger a delay (timer) to do an action later. This seems like a basic essential automation function. Delay is available for Personal Routines, but personal routines will not work either as they cannot be triggered by Devices (switch on), only by Voice Commands. Am I missing something? Is there a plan to fix this problem?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No idea if/when Google would re-introduce those (apparently they're scrapping sleep timers as well), so the only thing I can think of is going straight for IFTTT :(

JordanMichels

Jan 30, 2023
Visit site
I don't know much about IFTTT. It looks great, but doesn't seem to support triggers from TP Kasa switch or triggers or actions for the BN-link outlet. Am I missing something. Both these devices work with Google Home. Is it possible another smart plug, such as Wemo or meross (which appear to be supported) could be automated this way so whenever it turns on it triggers a timer to turn itself off in a hour? Also kasa smart plug description says it works with IFTTT, but the app doesn't list it?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately with IFTTT yes, you need the specific service to support it (and furthermore, the action you want to also be supported... for instance, some devices allow on/off functions, but not color or scene changes, and some, like Google Home, pretty much only support 'read' actions to trigger something and not really able to do any actionable functions afterwards). As for Kasa, I believe I own a couple and they do work with IFTTT, but I can double check. The other thing you could do (if you don't have A LOT of devices/scenes you're planning with delays) is to use Amazon instead. You don't have to use the speakers or anything, but if you set it up though Alexa, you can create a virtual button that IFTTT can use as an action, which then triggers whatever automation/scene you have on Amazon's assistant. THAT is the part that is sorely missing in Google's (being able to remotely start actions).

JordanMichels

Jan 30, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the information. The switch I have is Kasa, so I thought maybe I would get the kasa plug. But apparently the Kasa service does not support triggers, only actions. The Wemo plug looks like it would work, but does not seem to be available. The Meross plug might be the only plug to support triggers and be available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol