Vizio Monitor with Cast

Markfheil

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
So, I have a newer model Vizio TV monitor that has built in Cast. The TVs cast is linked to my google account andshows up in the Home app on my phone, and I can cast shows to it from my phone. But, neither of my Homes can cast anything to it, they say they have no cast enabled device available. Any idea why? Will this require some firmware update the Vizio will hopefully provide soon?

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I would love to see some responses to this as well. I am getting my Vizio TV tomorrow with cast built in. I am hoping it just works with Google Home

May 3, 2015
Visit site
So, I have a newer model Vizio TV monitor that has built in Cast. The TVs cast is linked to my google account andshows up in the Home app on my phone, and I can cast shows to it from my phone. But, neither of my Homes can cast anything to it, they say they have no cast enabled device available. Any idea why? Will this require some firmware update the Vizio will hopefully provide soon?

If it's like my lg projector then it's not really Chromecast. It's just a way if controlling the TV's built in media apps.

Markfheil

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I found an article on the Vizio support pages. They said that Google Home requires cast versions 1.21 and higher, most Vizio TVs don't have that version, but an update to 1.21 is currently being rolled out to accommodate Home. I checked in my TV settings and I am currently at Cast version 1.19. So, I just have to wait for the update.

I guess if any of you have similar Cast enabled devices, just check the version number and see if and when updates will be made available from your manufacturer.

Markfheil

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Vizio has an article on their site saying that an update to the Cast software is being rolled out. It needs version 2.21 or higher to work with Home.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Matt McRae had posted in AVS Forums last night about the new Firmware they are getting ready to release. It is currently in beta and are offering some people to be testers of this firmware (he said it comes with some bugs) But in the list of fixes it has GoogleCast 1.21 listed :)

Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
It's the middle of November and we are making very good progress on our release. All of the fixes targeted are not in and we haven't done the complete set of regression testing. However, the release has been very stable for internal testers so I have decided to release it to the group here.

If you sent me your serial number before... you are enabled. Please let me know if you want to be removed from the early release group. This is a test release and it is likely that there are bugs and maybe some adverse behavior.

The release is an early version of our Sprint 1.3. It has the following additions and fixes:

- GoogleCast v1.21 which adds support for Google Home voice commands
- 4:4:4 improvements in Computer Picture Mode
- 4:2:0@60 rewrite to support HDR gaming
- Improvements to WIFI stability
- Improvements for P50 low IRE flicker
- CEC and ARC improvements
- SoftAP/WIFI improvements
- PQ improvements and updates to DolbyVision 3D LUTs
- Firmware update improvements (solves hang at 100% etc)
- Numerous HDMI and EDID bug fixes, improvements
- OOBE improvements
- Stuttering and frame drop fixes
- Hundreds of other bug fixes across the system

The team is still working on a couple of issues that are not yet in this release. This includes the Black Drop outs on HDMI sources and frame doubling and blurring seen by some users. In addition we will be improving the P50 flicker issue and fixing a bunch of issues with 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 as we finish up this release. Also, this release does not separate HDR and DolbyVision PQ engines (that will be in Sprint 2 which will land in Q1 2017).

Despite this, I felt many people would still like to get the hands (display) on this release and start enjoying HDR gaming... especially with the Holidays approaching. So, hammer away, report any issues you are seeing and we will take your feedback as we work towards a final Sprint 1.3 release over the next weeks.

I'll be traveling this week but checking the forums every time I can and rolling up feedback for the team. Again, if anyone wants to be removed from the early list please let me know.

Happy testing and thank you for your patience!

Matt