2016 Vizio P. - Voice control not supported :(

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Google Home today, going through the setup I tried to add my 2016 Vizio P with built in Cast support as one of my devices, but it shows up in the list as "Voice control not supported" :( I guess I cannot do as I wanted (currently) to be able to Cast stuff to the TV with voice control :(

Nevermind Just found out that my TV just needs Cast Firmware version 1.21+
https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7030086

Update: 12/23/2016 - Got the Cast Firmware update on my TV. Only the Cast Firmware udpated, the TV Firmware did not. I can not use voice commands on the Google home to cast Netflix to my TV.

Last edited:

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Do you already have Firmware 1.21? I emailed Vizio and they said smart cast 1.21 to me as well will support Google Home. But, I don't know when it will be out.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I tweeted the CTO of Vizio Matt McRae. He is a really cool guy and hangs out in AVS Forums. I will udpate after he replies :)

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Matt had posted this last night concerning the next Firmware release. Which will add GoogleCast 1.21

Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
It's the middle of November and we are making very good progress on our release. All of the fixes targeted are not in and we haven't done the complete set of regression testing. However, the release has been very stable for internal testers so I have decided to release it to the group here.

If you sent me your serial number before... you are enabled. Please let me know if you want to be removed from the early release group. This is a test release and it is likely that there are bugs and maybe some adverse behavior.

The release is an early version of our Sprint 1.3. It has the following additions and fixes:

- GoogleCast v1.21 which adds support for Google Home voice commands
- 4:4:4 improvements in Computer Picture Mode
- 4:2:0@60 rewrite to support HDR gaming
- Improvements to WIFI stability
- Improvements for P50 low IRE flicker
- CEC and ARC improvements
- SoftAP/WIFI improvements
- PQ improvements and updates to DolbyVision 3D LUTs
- Firmware update improvements (solves hang at 100% etc)
- Numerous HDMI and EDID bug fixes, improvements
- OOBE improvements
- Stuttering and frame drop fixes
- Hundreds of other bug fixes across the system

The team is still working on a couple of issues that are not yet in this release. This includes the Black Drop outs on HDMI sources and frame doubling and blurring seen by some users. In addition we will be improving the P50 flicker issue and fixing a bunch of issues with 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 as we finish up this release. Also, this release does not separate HDR and DolbyVision PQ engines (that will be in Sprint 2 which will land in Q1 2017).

Despite this, I felt many people would still like to get the hands (display) on this release and start enjoying HDR gaming... especially with the Holidays approaching. So, hammer away, report any issues you are seeing and we will take your feedback as we work towards a final Sprint 1.3 release over the next weeks.

I'll be traveling this week but checking the forums every time I can and rolling up feedback for the team. Again, if anyone wants to be removed from the early list please let me know.

Happy testing and thank you for your patience!

Matt

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

I was digging around the Google Home app and noticed that my Vizio P65-C1 was listed as an available device. Seems my TV got the Cast Firmware update to 1.21 (TV Firmware was not updated) and it works beautifully. I found you can actually just say Play "Movie/TV show" on TV and it will automatically play it from Netflix. Can pause, play, and stop playback. They have not integrated Season / Episode yet into the commands so it will just pick up where you last left off on a TV show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech